Offical Helena Gameplay Discussion Thread

WAZAAAAA

Anti bokuho back dash strat (236P+K is +1 on block)

(HD)

the 6KK low is reactable
the 2K hits on Half Hit (half damage, less frame advantage, more distance)

CONS:
- needs space
- not universal, needs an evasive/thin character (most slim females will probably work)

Last edited:

Akumasama

So the most efficient basic combo/juggle from Helena is one that finishes with you in Bokuho and opponent in bounce, at which point you do a 6,6 to get close then 6+P+K for a close hit.

Simple examples of such a combo:
4P,P,K (counter), P, P, 4+K, 4+P,K, 6,6, 6+P+K
BKO 6P,P,K, 3+P+K, 4+P,K, 6,6, 6+P+K

From a couple of patches the last part doesn't work anymore in some stages where the floor launches your opponent. For example the DoA1 part of "Unforgettable" or the Chinese Festival (in some parts).

So for those zones, which moves do you use to finish combos like the ones above, instead of 6,6, 6+P+K?

I've tried many options but some that are in theory very good require such a good positioning/timing/weight that I don't consider them reliable, I'm looking for something more universal.
The options I've found so far:

P,P,K => pretty meh, but works every time, on every opponent, on every point of every stage.
7 (out of BKO and into backturned), P+K ==> pretty simple, works, more damage than above
6P,P,P => as long as you don't go too early it works nice and slams against a wall if there's one close. I feel the first punch requires somewhat of a strict timing to hit though. If you go too early you'll block the jump and rest of the combo will whiff.

Stuff I tried but that doesn't work:
Fatal Rush => fourth hit won't land
4+P,K,P => impossible to land something else after the P, maybe a ground attack. It's pretty hard to hit the enemy with the 4+P. If you're too early you'll block the "jump" the opponent does, whiffing the rest of the combo. If you're too late or too close or too far, the initial punch will whiff and consequentially the rest of the combo too.

indieanimator

Been maining Brad, but am considering Helena.
Did Command Training, Combo Challenges & vs.
Wrote down the two combos above. BKO= 2P+K I think.
Should watch the tutorial video on YouTube.

If the character's too hard/not right for me, I'll try someone else- Lei, Bass, etc.

indieanimator

Been sticking with her (more than Brad) this year, but am not sure anyone's still using her.
Mostly losing in C+, with no idea how people get B-. Here's a rare win.

Not sure what combo doesn't drop online. Meanwhile I get hit by long combos, ha.

Uberprinny

Combos drop online in any connection. The only time it doesn't drop if I m sitting next to you. You have start thinking outside the box sometime. I get it. Helena players must connect combos for her to be effective. Only 2 Helena players I know side step during Bukoho. If you guys keep doing the same combos, someone with eagle eyes will put you to shame. Helena can put anyone in a 50/50 guessing game and has great mix ups. I have yet to see that.

indieanimator

Combos drop online in any connection. The only time it doesn't drop if I m sitting next to you. You have start thinking outside the box sometime. I get it. Helena players must connect combos for her to be effective. Only 2 Helena players I know side step during Bukoho. If you guys keep doing the same combos, someone with eagle eyes will put you to shame. Helena can put anyone in a 50/50 guessing game and has great mix ups. I have yet to see that.
Ok, thanks. If I need to connect a combo to be effective, I'll re-check Combo Challenges for a nice simple one or two.
Put a lot of time into watching a video guide for best tools, gameplan, etc.
Can also try sidestep in BKO.

WAZAAAAA

Helena Bokuho 4P+K is an interesting little move.

- Close Hits are impossible because the charge animation is marked as "Close Hit", but not the actual strike animation (bug). Also, 1 meter Close Hit distance is very short
- inconsistent active frames: 2 when fully charged, 1 when it's not (1 is extremely rare in DOA)
- inconsistent frame advantage: -4 with little or no charge (ok), +24 with some charge (ok?), +23 upon full charge (wtf)

CHARGE LEVELS FRAME DATA:

24(1)29 = no charge
36(1)29 = minimum charge that guard breaks
53(2)29 = maximum charge

DETAILED STARTUP FRAMES: 5+18+6
5 = entering Bokuho stance from neutral with the fastest 1P+K/2P+K into 4P+K cancel input
18 = shortest charge
6 = actual strike startup

TL;DR
it's a mid GB with guaranteed followups at a surprisingly quick startup and has a few bugs

Uberprinny

Quick question. Can Helena go from Bokuho to back turned to Bokuho stance switch? Think of Seigfried from soul calibur where he can do stance switches on the fly. Can Helena do the same stance switch as well?

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Quick question. Can Helena go from Bokuho to back turned to Bokuho stance switch? Think of Seigfried from soul calibur where he can do stance switches on the fly. Can Helena do the same stance switch as well?
She can, just do 7 while in Bokuho. I leaned Helenas love to do that for a quick 66K low that leaves them +8 when you're guarding. You can't go from BTed in Bokuho tho since Helena already has a shit ton of mix ups and attacks at different hit levels to go into it, even a fatal stun so she doesn't need it imo

Uberprinny

Hmmm...I labed Helena for a bit but my findings were grim. She can go from Bokuho to back turned but once you try to go 2p+k she does a mid windmill punch instead BKO. I never seen like it before. Where back turned stance can go back to Bukoho. Either that or there is something I m missing. Hell, even someone in diamond ranked cant do it.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD