Opinion: DOA5 Master vs. Sweet Revenge was Pinnacle DOA

Before Dead or Alive 6 there was Dead or Alive 5, Ultimate & Last Round and within a year people were showcasing the game offline with thunderous applause from the community and complementary winks from other communities that never considered trying DOA thanks to new creative combat intertwined with strategical elements to stages and their respective Danger Zones that the FGC had never seen before.

Some of the best characters to demonstrate the innovative features of DOA5 were Gen Fu & Ryu Hayabusa that could both send their opponents into intoxicating blenders through careful planning and prior lab training. Regardless if you thought these characters were fair or not, fighters Sweet Revenge & Master successfully discovered the perfect opportunities to maximize their damage and because of this delivered some of the finest matches this community has ever seen.

In a recent Emery Reigns video, he discussed what could make DOA6 better and that maybe the community needs to wake up to things going on around them. The video that he provided in the back-drop of his stream was Master vs. Sweet Revenge at Final Round 19. If you think about why Emery did this it could be to serve as a reminder of what we were and what we were capable of doing with the game as a community.

DOA5s stages were not only subjectively easier on the eyes than DOA6, but there are also more clever ways of getting damage than simply throwing your opponent through one directional explosive cars. Leon could direct where he wanted to throw a character which took directional awareness from the player and this MAKES a 3D fighter a true 3D fighter. The danger zones were just as effective in DOA5 and played a subtle role in the environments that weren't "hey look at me, I'm an environment to break through" like the obvious cars in DOA6s 'Road Rage.'

Tournaments were constantly teaching Team NINJA's fighters and encouraged them to keep tuning in because they could learn something new or experience new tech from a top player. Whenever Master and Sweet Revenge fought we saw a back & forth brawl that always invited clutch moments and sincere enjoyment from spectators and commentators alike. With Dead or Alive 6, we are more likely to see the same player tech over and over again because of the prioritized close hit damage over creative combos that take skill to learn and implement into your offline game.

Most people in this community will claim that from a mechanical level they either don't mind it or they absolutely hate the new system. Team NINJA is beginning to understand their fighters from a gameplay perspective after almost a year of small touch ups here and there with version 1.19 putting some proof behind the developer's statements made at DOA Festival 2019. We have looked at the micro-transactions of DOA6 almost more-so than the gameplay itself and there are other things that could use sprucing up to attract the veterans that loved DOA6s predecessor and attracted other communities.

As Emery mentioned in his video, the Dead or Alive 6 World Championship was a financial bust for Team NINJA costing them thousands in prize pots, airfare for fighters and the venue plus production costs of the DOA Festival. Even if the franchise did grow some in numbers and stream views it couldn't have been enough to off-set the costs. To keep Dead or Alive 6 alive; to get matches again on stream like Master vs Sweet Revenge we need to go back to our grass roots like Matt Ponton said with commentary at Winter Brawl 3D: Edition last week while Team NINJA reworks Dead or Alive 6 from the ground up as the fighters want it.

Brace yourselves...

Thank you for reading this opinion post at Free Step Dodge, and we inquire you to address why you had more respect & dedication for Dead or Alive 5 than you do the current Dead or Alive 6. Since everyone seems to have an opinion of DOA6, be loud and be vocal, because in the wake of these unusual business practices is a community that is desperate to have back clutch and exciting moments of a past Dead or Alive.

Last edited:
Finally, you are seeing the light deathoftheninja.

Probably should of also mentioned the match between Terurock vs Manny, Siologica vs Kwiggles, and then the glorious pinnacle from JCA's victory with one of the biggest crowd chanting to a legendary character that entered DOA. My favorite part? I've been to all of them so the bass effect of the speakers and chant was the pure epitome to how fun it was with how DOA was handled before. Miss that energy.

Eh, I think the later Battle Royal Finals, Master vs Teru Rock at NEC, or the Evolution tournament would be better to be called the pinnacle.

That Sweet Revenge vs Master match happened in like month 6 of DOA5 vanilla, and to call that the pinnacle says to me that DOA5 and 5LR's life was short lived.

Eh, I think the later Battle Royal Finals, Master vs Teru Rock at NEC, or the Evolution tournament would be better to be called the pinnacle.

That Sweet Revenge vs Master match happened in like month 6 of DOA5 vanilla, and to call that the pinnacle says to me that DOA5 and 5LR's life was short lived.

Oh no doubt that was a beautiful event, but this classifies the entire SR vs Master feud that lasted for years; and started godlike and also ended godlike with frequent excitement for the possibility of another match in the future of DOA5s lifepan. Teru Rock vs Master didn't happen throughout the whole lifespan of DOA5. Not to mention the impact JC Akira had later on in the game when people thought there could be nothing left we haven't seen already.

Your argument further proves my point that there was so much good and so much to talk about and with DOA6 in its current state it becomes progressively harder for me to write reports because I am seeing carbon copy events with DOA6 with all due respect to the player's performances.

If I was competing I would go for the close hit ender too because it's safe and way too rewarding.

Last edited:

Yeah Terurock vs Manny I enjoyed a lot. But let's not forget THAT BOY JCA MATT. CHANTS WAS REAL.

Even Alex Valle and Chris (Gonzalez) was watching that beautiful moment of kick cancels into launchers. BEAUTIFUL.

Awesome post, @deathofaninja and amazing video by @EmeryReigns , seriously, things just look a lot more clear now and make sense. It's good to put into perspective all the things that have lead up to this, especially some things some people, like me, may not have considered or didn't know. Also, I like the juxtaposition of Emery talking about something like the community's anger over poor business practices for buying hair colour with a video of a high level DOA5 match behind him. It somehow drives home that, no matter what kind of DoA fan you consider yourself to be, everything is connected. We all have a stake in seeing this series thrive, whither it be financially due to better business practices and good content, or competitively due to technically perfecting its gameplay, or everything. DoA5's era was doing so much right on multiple fronts, if only we could get back to that.

It's actually been kinda cool in the last 24 hours to see every fan united about something and taking a unified message directly to KT.

Last edited:
omgwt... Cooking Mama plays DOA? And brings us high quality Tina and Rachel match vids? Damn, where was the Cooking Mama cameo in DoA: D, forget Samus.
a33e723236b298918fa3abb602494a27--videogame-game-art.jpg

I still remember seeing what I think was either Winter Brawl or Summer Jam, where it was Rikuto vs XCaliburBladez, MC Kwiggle, and Sonic Fox. Seriously, all three players were on the other side of the setup trying to come up with a strategy to beat Rikuto.

I still remember seeing what I think was either Winter Brawl or Summer Jam, where it was Rikuto vs XCaliburBladez, MC Kwiggle, and Sonic Fox. Seriously, all three players were on the other side of the setup trying to come up with a strategy to beat Rikuto.
Rikuto was damn near unstoppable in DOA5.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD