Community Predict Alpha's Nerfs for Last Round

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
In the last interview Tom Lee was in he mentioned that a lot of players wanted her nerfed. This feels like a subliminal message that translates: "we're nerfing her again, bastards!"

She's the most nerfed character in the history of the game, people are still ignorant, people still don't know the match-up, or like it. So you know it's going to happen to the point where anyone can beat her... even characters like Bayman and Leon (lol).

My guess:

-Pushback on 3K reduced along with CB property
-B.U.R.S.T nerf

What are your thoughts and what nerfs will happen in Last Round? If the nerfs are too bad I will just switch to Raidou.

lotr9690

I get to use this clip again!! My thoughts on Alpha

But seriously. I feel competent against Alpha 152. I don't feel she needs to be nerfed at all. She has like no defense options. I would be considered Japanese demographic-wise so we don't really have a problem with her at all. Hardly anyone uses her and when they do noone seems to care. Not that I speak for all of Japan. So, I think the Japanese fanbase needs to be considered. Most of the hate for alpha comes from the west... That i'm aware of. If someone finds some random statistic of alpha that disproves this, I don't care. When I'm "hanging out" at the arcades no ones causing a fuss over alpha. When I'm online playing with buddies no one is freaking out about her. So i don't know why the west is going CRAZY. But if you are that's fine. I don't want this to turn into a huge thing where someones yelling at me for not seeing the big deal...
haha

Pink Nitro

I'm not gonna drop her if they nerf her. I just hope the damage on her throws when someone tries to counter isn't reduced, that'd suck.

Last edited:

Intelligent Alpha

^ Here's the thing, that just might happen! "Her fucking throws!" I don't understand it. I guess folks want her to be like everybody else -- wait, she can't defend herself -- nor, according to alot of people, she needn't. This nerfs are just devs admitting they fucked up with this "glass cannon" character. The sad thing id, I think they meant to. Though I read the answer to that question, I'm kinda saddened by how it was answered. But yeah, shes not at all what she used to be - idc how good Xblades or whomever else makes her look. One thing is for sure, the easy win thing is false! *shrugs*

synce

I can't find it now but there was a picture of Alpha's movelist and everything that's been nerfed in the last couple years... IIRC it was over half her moves. So I think in LR they will finish the job and nerf the other half

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I really doubt they'd net her, especially when it comes to the Burst throw, since that throw is meant to be one of those hype mechanics. You won't see major tweaks to things like the Potemkin Buster, same goes for Burst.

Intelligent Alpha

I get to use this clip again!! My thoughts on Alpha

But seriously. I feel competent against Alpha 152. I don't feel she needs to be nerfed at all. She has like no defense options. I would be considered Japanese demographic-wise so we don't really have a problem with her at all. Hardly anyone uses her and when they do noone seems to care. Not that I speak for all of Japan. So, I think the Japanese fanbase needs to be considered. Most of the hate for alpha comes from the west... That i'm aware of. If someone finds some random statistic of alpha that disproves this, I don't care. When I'm "hanging out" at the arcades no ones causing a fuss over alpha. When I'm online playing with buddies no one is freaking out about her. So i don't know why the west is going CRAZY. But if you are that's fine. I don't want this to turn into a huge thing where someones yelling at me for not seeing the big deal...haha

No defense? I'm DONE! Where is everybody get the idea that she has no defense? I mean, yeah, she can't spam holds like everyone else and the parry is useless unless near a wall, but no defense? what the fuck am I doing then? Imagine if she had holds though ... that's what I thought!

But here's why the West spazzes:

Those of us that have play her CPU version in DOA4; yet, I find it hilarious people still bitch despite how easy it is to beat her now whether it's an AI Alpha or Human Alpha! I can't tell you how often I hear: "I hate fighting Alpha!" or doing a mirror just to prove how cheap, spammy, OP, readable, etc. she is. She doesn't have to do much to win. Two-trick pony: "Fuck combos! I can win with two throws!" Most think she's just PPPPPPP or KKKKK all day (6KKKK as wellan RUSH and BURST aforementioned), but I say the rest can be one-dimensional, too.

The other thing is playstyle. People tell me that Alpha is pure rushdown. I don't think so. It may be that here in the US, the style is preferred, but that can only get you so far and it kinda bites that somehow every character was made to be rushdown.

It's that DOA4 AI hate. That's why the spazzing out! Her AI in 5, at least V and U weren't ridiculous! I doubt this will change in LR. They seem to be adamant on giving her shit, we can't do; yet, Phase 4 can teleport on block? Hmm ...

I've heard that the Japanese have a much more patient playstyle then the US.

Alas, a glass-cannon character (aka Boss) is supposed to be unfair in advantages and disadvantages, so players jsut have to deal, I supposed.

crapoZK

Standard Donor
No defense? I'm DONE! Where is everybody get the idea that she has no defense? I mean, yeah, she can't spam holds like everyone else and the parry is useless unless near a wall, but no defense? what the fuck am I doing then? Imagine if she had holds though ... that's what I thought!

But here's why the West spazzes:

Those of us that have play her CPU version in DOA4; yet, I find it hilarious people still bitch despite how easy it is to beat her now whether it's an AI Alpha or Human Alpha! I can't tell you how often I hear: "I hate fighting Alpha!" or doing a mirror just to prove how cheap, spammy, OP, readable, etc. she is. She doesn't have to do much to win. Two-trick pony: "Fuck combos! I can win with two throws!" Most think she's just PPPPPPP or KKKKK all day (6KKKK as wellan RUSH and BURST aforementioned), but I say the rest can be one-dimensional, too.

The other thing is playstyle. People tell me that Alpha is pure rushdown. I don't think so. It may be that here in the US, the style is preferred, but that can only get you so far and it kinda bites that somehow every character was made to be rushdown.

It's that DOA4 AI hate. That's why the spazzing out! Her AI in 5, at least V and U weren't ridiculous! I doubt this will change in LR. They seem to be adamant on giving her shit, we can't do; yet, Phase 4 can teleport on block? Hmm ...

I've heard that the Japanese have a much more patient playstyle then the US.

Alas, a glass-cannon character (aka Boss) is supposed to be unfair in advantages and disadvantages, so players jsut have to deal, I supposed.
But P4 is not safe on ANYTHING, so she can only teleport on guard breaks, too.

152 doesn't have NO defence, but her defensive side is little-known, In my opinion, 152's playstyle is a block, wait for an opening, knock 'em back, space. Then, poke. Rinse repeat. That is how I like to play her (uh... "it".). Not saying that this is the right way, but you know.

People in JP hate Alpha as much as anyone else. She is generally hated by many (Not saying I hate her). It isn't just a western thing. I don't know about the patient playstyle, but I think that they can throw punish better, and hold timing is better than the average player. I can say this for US, too.

Last edited:

lotr9690

People in JP hate Alpha as much as anyone else. She is generally hated by many (Not saying I hate her). It isn't just a western thing. I don't know about the patient playstyle, but I think that they can throw punish better, and hold timing is better than the average player. I can say this for US, too.
I'm not saying you're wrong; when I posted i was only speaking from personal experience at the arcades and the people I encounter online etc.
I have encountered people who are anxious about fighting alpha but honestly, I've never seen "hate" or strong dislike of her from the Japanese fanbase.

For example, when I first joined FSD I remember that there was a huge thread about banning her from the tournament scene even before Ultimate was released; in fact, it was the first thread I contributed in (I'm not trying to open old wounds don't worry). I think most people can agree, at times she can be frustrating to deal with. But I genuinely don't think I've noticed that kind of strong dislike or hate from Japanese. Again, I'm not speaking for us all. I've just not noticed it. I could be totally wrong and I respect your assessment! I'm sure there are plenty of Japanese players who dislike her. :) I'll keep in eye out lol. Maybe when I encounter them we'll have an impromptu strategy session.

I really hope that they don't nerf her. I want the developers to encourage adaptability as much as they can.

Nightpup

I love Alpha, I really do, but if they nerf her too heavily I really just might have to drop her. She doesn't deserve the treatment she's getting. Salad, Raidou, and Phase 4 are all looking mighty appetizing compared to Alpha-152 now.

Also, Clue is an amazing movie.

Jaguar360

Let's see:
  • B.U.R.S.T. nerf is imminent
  • Probably a nerf to 3K's speed or range
  • Nerfed damage on her OH's (again)
  • Less delayability on jabs
  • Less frame advantage on parries
Yep, that sounds plausible lol.
I'll probably be using Alpha-152 a bit less because I'll really need to just focus on getting good with Hayabusa, Hayate and Honoka in Last Round, but I'll still be sticking around with Alpha, nerfs or not.

Last edited:

synce

I think 3K will remain untouched forever since it's a CB, unless they go and do some bullshit and remove her CB lol No one would blame you for dropping Alpha, I barely touch her these days and I'm sure it'll get worse in LR. the worst part is noobs still complain on the rare occassion I DO pick her because they can't figure out how to dash forward after a knockdown.

Also kind off topic but this got a chuckle out of me

reflecting_zps670cef22.jpg~original

I think I made it around the time TN really fucked her over

Jaguar360

Alpha's still good in Ultimate, but it's just annoying that TN seems to take 2 steps forward with her and 3 steps back. I have a feeling that they'll just leave her alone in LR though.

Nightpup

From what I heard last night after talking with someone who got to play Last Round, Alpha's actually been BUFFED. I don't know the specifics, but he mentioned that she feels faster, and has more teleport cancels. The most notable one was a wake-up teleport. If this is all true, my hype levels just rose to maximum.

Jaguar360

From what I heard last night after talking with someone who got to play Last Round, Alpha's actually been BUFFED. I don't know the specifics, but he mentioned that she feels faster, and has more teleport cancels. The most notable one was a wake-up teleport. If this is all true, my hype levels just rose to maximum.
O_O
Teleport cancels? Wake-up teleport? Please be legit.
giphy.gif
Wake-up teleports just make so much sense! Why hadn't I thought of this before?

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team

Well... this would be surprising news. But one big nerf is all she needs to drop a tier or two more if it's even possible.

Intelligent Alpha

Well... this would be surprising news. But one big nerf is all she needs to drop a tier or two more if it's even possible.

So, that's what changes things because I keep hearing everybody talk about TOOLS. So, hear I am thinking: How did so-and-so drop? Did they remove something? (ie: BURST - 149 - and why 149? I know I'm good at math! Damage + HiC mudifier - 100 + 50: Two of these = Good night! 298? okay!) Her two best "tools" and you have to HAB to avoid them smh!

And some players will take a nerfed BURST, but that would drop her? She's one of those bipolar characters or at least a polarizing one. Buffed speed? Please! Speed's not everything! Her previous buffs meant nothing - I have a feeling the speed boost won't either (if it happens)

The nerf hammer thing has snowballed; I doubt any kind of buff will fix this! WUTs? HAB as usual! Alpha succombs to HAB more often or NH (Normal Holds) than Kasumi - and her parry is identical - I have tested this. Which reminds me, will Phase 4 get this treatment with the newly acquired ToB? She loves to hit buttons against blocking opponents. Now, beware the GB to allow ToB abuse! (My Alpha gets enough of that BS, but more's coming? Nice!)

Alpha gets enough hate as is. I don't understand. Her most "significant buff" was the WUK; yet, it's more a nerf because 99% of the time, she's hit while down or made sure to rarely get in that situation. I would love to see the neutral teleport back, but with the constant 44 or 66 garbage, would that work? (Ironically, players are scared of F.L.O.A.T. when it's just her "dashing backwards" essentially)

Stop patching Alpha! Just stop!!

Intelligent Alpha

^ I'm done! Isn't that a DOAD color? If so, why was it removed? Apart from the obvious jokes, but they come with her in general? (Aqua Flesh, Peptol Bismol, Power Ranger, and Jelly, etc.)

@synce: That's hilarious, sad, unnerving, embarassing - just a mixed bag - all at once! (Dayum she's tall as fuck! Yet, crouches when idle; therefore, shorter than you.)

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD