DOA6 Rachel & Version 1.17 Patch Notes

Team NINJA has released Version 1.17 patch notes and the update includes the highly awaited return of Rachel to Dead or Alive 6 and will also bring in the regular bug fixes, game changing balance adjustments, Season Pass 3 DLC and another free costume as a nice stocking-stuffer from Team NINJA. Rachel's debut to DOA6 was showcased by Famitsu and her base price will cost you just 5.99 USD with premium options for those that want more costumes. Take a look at Team NINJA's official website for her biography, and start a discussion in her newly opened forum here at Free Step Dodge!

Rachel Version 1.17 Breakdown

All of Rachel's unique moves from Dead or Alive 5 return, but the properties have changes on quite a few of them. Her 7K is a Fatal Stun, 8K can no longer provide a Sit-Down Stun but does give you a chance at the 2K Force-Tech stomp. 8P still offers a SDS after the damage threshold is met, and it also offers a new hit-grab option that can break through environments. This hit grab can also be activated after PP4P.

Because of the new Sidestep system, some players thought that her Rollthrough stance might disappear, but it has returned to DOA6 to add some diversity to your SS game. The P launch followup and tripping low can really confuse your opponent if Rollthrough is used correctly. The only unique attacks that are missing include her Power Blow & Power Launcher from DOA5 that doubled-up as a solid move with a hit-grab option.

Rachel also comes with some new tricks outside of her awesome looking Fatal Rush, Break Hold and psychotic double ninpo Break Blow. She now has a buffering Offensive Hold (63214T) that has three variations depending on the press of the input. Just using the command regularly outputs what was 6T in DOA5 while medium and heavy presses end in magical ninpo blasts! Her 6T is replaced with a new throw to compensate the change.

Rachel Fighter Card.jpg

We provide a few of the basic elements of Rachel in some quick videos for her: Command List, Combo Challenge, Costumes, Hair Styles, Accesories & DOA Quest options so it's always readily available whenever you need it.
When discussing design and costumes it's worth mentioning that most of them look really nice on Rachel. Her default costume & recolors showcase beautiful reflections and she really does look like a fiend slayer in her most iconic outfit. Her business suit also returns and she has a recolor for C5 that look very similar to NiCO's default colors! It's also great to see C7 return with brand new color variants.
Unfortunately her fiend costume inspired from Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 & Dead or Alive 5 (which was revered by many as one of her best outfits) was absolutely destroyed. If you want to know why it's no doubt in part to Sony's repulsive & disgusting censorship policies that have not only destroyed freedom of expression for gamers, but also the artistic design from developers and other creators. While it makes no sense to not have an option to turn it off you can for whatever reason make it look more unnatural by censoring it even more.

Version 1.17 Report

Truly, a lot of exciting changes have been made to DOA6 with this update and every character now has a Fatal Stun option! This is huge news and extremely important to many people that haven't had the option for more than 9 months with their character. For your convenience peruse this reference list of the new FS attacks:

• Helena Back-Turned 8P
  • Kokoro 9P+K
  • Hayate 214P+K
  • Ayane 214K
  • Bayman 9P+K
  • Brad Wong 8P in Dokuritsu-Ho stance
  • Nyo-Tengu 2P during Hiten-No-Mai
  • Raidou 214P+K
  • Phase 4 4H+K

Team NINJA's free costume for this update is for Hayate. A popular costume that debuted in Dead or Alive 3 now made available with new color variants. Out of all of the free costumes this is probably the nicest one yet, especially since his default in DOA6 is not subjectively a fan favorite. As of 1.17 the Dumbbell exclusive title quest is over so if you missed them they are gone forever. The Season 3 Pass has also been completed with Santa Bikinis. Who would have thought that we would go from the fantastic Morphing Ninja Costume SP2 finale to non-personalized Santa Bikinis for SP3s?

Lots of other little changes have been made to the game too. How do you feel about the new cannon ball sound effect after a Close Hit, community? Some people really seem to like it and other wish it wasn't in the game at all. Regardless of the little things, Version 1.17 is easily the most expansive update yet!

Hopefully the community can enjoy the new patch, new DLC & Rachel to wrap-up the 2019 year! Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas from Free Step Dodge!

Last edited:
It’s irresponsible to blame Sony on a costume due to speculation then post an article accusing them of something they didn’t do. It’s misinformation and it accomplishes nothing.

They have a proven track record. The game was only said to be less sexualized after the fact of Sony's policy being put into play and Team NINJA said they wanted to be taken more seriously by the FGC, and how do they prove it? By pulling off that stunt at EVO Japan with Nyotengu and Bass. The purely said that BS to cover Sony's ass.

For further proof: in Dead or Alive Xtreme: Venus Vacation you can see the swimsuits as the developers intended on the Switch. With the PS4 version bikinis are covered up and changed to meet the qualifications of Sony's censorship policy.

So to cover up outfits in Dead or Alive 6 they lazily grab Rachel's NGS cover up costume and use it on the revealing costumes for all of the girls in the option tab and they put it in place for Rachel automatically (despite Christie's dominatrix outfit being even MORE revealing). An option should be put in play to have the original. A big chunk of the community feels it is censorship as made evident by outreach on social media.

Thankfully @gatto tom has an option for PC players that want to see this outfit in its more natural form:

Yes I blame Sony for a lot, I mean, the game doesn't even seem optimized on original base consoles which is absurd and even a bigger issue than the censorship. And why is there no tag? Well Team NINJA said it was because of hardware limitations. So not only is console the ugliest and most incomplete way to play but the limited hardware is downgrading multi-platform games for even PC players.

Not to mention the comment on the costume isn't the entirety of the article; and this article was not just written to "accuse Sony" of the fiend outfit... and it's hardly "irresponsible" to point that out. I used to say all systems are equal. It's getting a lot harder to say that today. I play on almost every system, and I'm not going to listen to comments that insinuate I'm a fanboy just because I point something almost everyone else has pointed out.

If you like the hideous design for Rachel's DOA6 fiend outfit fine, but there is no doubt that there should be an option for the people that don't on all platforms: not just PC.

I'm not going to be one of those people that says I don't like swimsuits because most of the DOA community does, and if people don't take this game seriously that is their choice. I've spent hundreds of hours dissecting this game from a competitive standpoint and always prioritize gameplay you should not accuse me of misinformation when the devil is staring you right in the eyes (Sony) and literally does not give one shit about you. They have lawyers to defend them and the big corporation doesn't need your advocacy but appreciates it I'm sure. :)

Before I ever signed up to be a part of FSD I felt like you always had your panties in a bunch about something, and I still feel that way today.

Last edited:
I feel like Rachel's 66K shoukd be at least +3 on block so she can put some scary pressure. +1 is not enough especially against characters that has a 9 frame jab IMO.

Tbh I think Rachel is fine as is. She's mostly pretty safe, hits like a truck, has good combo damage and she gets +15 off her FT and she has other ways to apply pressure as well on hit and doesn't suffer from unsafety although she lacks a standalone jump attack and a tracking mid kick xD

I think 66K should leave her +2 at max range but even then Rachel has OHs and a special sidestep she can use to handle the 9i strikers as well as 1P and 2P(this leaves her +1 on hit iirc and unless your opponent thinks you're gonna go for a mid, they won't 9i jab since you can 2P again and your 13i 6P will be 12i that instant and will trade with their 11i 6P since it's 12i then

Something feels off about this patch. There are times online that my character cannot defend vs a 3 bar marie rose that cant drop combos. Marie Rose doesn't have a recovery frame. Depending on the connection, there is no lag time after her string is over. This patch made her the safest character to use online. You can do a 30 hit meterless without the worry of recovery frames or people blocking. All you need is one hit to land and it becomes a 1 player game. Good luck on wifi marie mains. This could get ugly.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD