Raidou for Beginners

Legendary Goken

Standard Donor
I've been playing Raidou long enough now to say that you really don't need to do the EWGF or his difficult throws to play him. Yes, it helps with damage, but Raidou is a mix up character that's quite unique and enjoyable once you are good at reading mix ups and doing mix ups.

Remember that old saying, "Never finish your combos"?
Well, that's the perfect definition with Raidou, he's a mixer upper with a lot of distance, and he's good for just that.

Raidou has got some good fast hits, like 9P, 6P, 6K, P+K, K. Use one immediately to get a counter stun, then use either it's follow ups, or a 33T if they block the follow ups. But if they seem faster than you, like Kasumi, her clones, or Christie: Block first, if that doesn't work, use 66T to thwart their speedy initials or follow ups.

If you're opponent is distancing themselves from you, do some 1P+K to blast some attention into them.

To close-in, your best bet is 66P, or 66K. To close-in near a wall, just 236K to wall-splat.

Raidou has a lot of Double Hitters like 6PP, 6KK, 4PP, 4PK, 1KK, 1PP, 3KP, 1KK that have a good for a mix up game, but are also IDEAL if the opponent blocks for the second hit, so you can punish them with a 33T. And 2T or 3T when doing the first hit of 1PP.

Stun set ups examples:

8P > 6P or 4P, (6P is faster, but 4P has a mid kick follow up), or to a 33K for a juggle

9P > 6P is a fast stun combo to either the 6P's P follow up to a 6P+K Critical Burst, or a 1PP for a massive floor bounce into a juggle

Any time after a 1PP, do a 8P to get them back of their feet for another set up

P+K > 4H+K for a back-turned stun into a 33K juggle

214P > 4P for speed, or 4K for a sit-down stun into either a 7P for a Leon-like sit down set up, or 33K for a high juggle

As for wall damage, use your Double Hitters, but all in all, you're gonna want to PP4PP right after your opponent hits the wall to squeeze in that damage. If you start near a wall with a Close Hit 236P, you can do another 236P that will deal 100+ damage.

Launchers are PPP, 8K, 33K, and 4K. Use them with the stun set ups, and wall damage.

That's it for this small tutorial.

"I want your skills. Show me your secrets!" :cyborg:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I consider 214P as one of his worst moves. The move is so unsafe that characters are granted free BT setups on him for blocking it and it's a lower launch height move with bad setups from BT attacks for Raidou. Rig for example can get a guaranteed CB from this situation and Gen Fu can get his particular BT setup involving 3P+K. 8P's best use is for tech setups or baits from the opponent staggering into expecting follow up mids. He gets nothing guaranteed after 8P which is quite sad.

I do agree that Raidou can win without the electrics, pretty sure he can depending on the opponent and type of characters he has to deal with, however it is recommended to do learn it since it's a fast launch that grants him potential to do 60+ from crit stun launch lvl 1 in open space via combos. Near a wall on a lightweight Raidou can achieve exactly 101 points of damage from a single launch in Crit stun launch level 1 into a full wallsplat. Health is 300, so you took a portion of that completely. He is one of the very few characters that can do that much damage from a single guess launch near a wall.

Not trying to discourage anyone if they want to do it or not because it's a physical input. It is completely optional and not necessary to determine how one should play, but whenever someone gets the moment of boredom they should try to learn it on their spare time or at least try on a day basis when they play the game, even if you can only do one..it's better than nothing and I consider that a strong improvement overall. What's the harm on learning how to do it from time to time? - I'm sure if they sit down and do learn it off the fly they will definitely have fun with it. It is optional, but definitely worth it when you learn it.

Last edited:

SilverForte

The ewgf isnt so bad, nothing compared to the one in Tekken. Just keep at it and you'll get it.

Anyways Raidous main weakness is that his mixup game is not very good and he is very slow on his feet which hurts him in the spacing game. Stuff like 66k only works online.

From my experience what you want to do is play footsies with him and try to get some kind of counter poke, then go into the stun game which is the one thing he really excels at. Also, abuse 2p.

Legendary Goken

Standard Donor
On the contrary, I find his mix up game to be very strong, because it's mostly double hitters, which can be baited into his powerful grabs. He's meant to be played as a poke and grab character that does crazy wall juggles. When you look at it that way, he's actually a monster.

In my eyes, he's a retrofit character that focuses on the powerhoused version of the basic principles of risk and reward. His difficult moves are not easy to master, but they sure as hell are rewarding. At a master level understanding of him, he potentially looks like he has all the tools to completely demolish every character, with maybe the exception of bass and akira. But that's just my opinion.

Edit: Let me just add that he's an easy to use character, with multiple tools, that's partly why he's so dangerous. If you mix those easy moves with bait grabs, and electric juggles, his mix ups instantly become scary.

Last edited:

Uberprinny

Hmmmm....the way you use Raidou reminds me in a way you use Ein. If I didnt know any better, you can use both of them in tag. They compliment your fighting style.I m also surprised that you are the only Raidou I know that doesnt spam or use plasma unless needed.

Anywho, if you are sent to the other side of the screen via Jann Ree kick, Hitomi/Ein power punch, or a Nyotengu flying headbutt; you have to approach with caution when you are against these opponents. The Raidou slide kick can only carry you so much until the other person clues in and adapt to your approach.

Speaking of which, never ever spam plasma (dark purple energy wave) unless its a guaranteed hit. The plasma windup is very long and easy to see coming! However, like Nyotengu's tornado attack, you can cancel it by pressing H! Its good to psyche people out. Most of the time they ll buy into it. Forcing them to either sidestep or when they are close they hit the counter mid punch hold. When they sidestep be prepared for a rush attack such as another Nyotengu flying headbutt, Tina's butt charge, Jann Ree's flying dragon kick, Bass's running throw, etc.

Legendary Goken

Standard Donor
Thank you. I hate spamming, I find it a fighting game cancer. Yea, I use Ein and Raidou quite the same, I find they both compliment each others learning curve very carefully. Your Nyotengu is also very good.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD