Raidou gameplay discussion

synce

Tecmo released 3 gameplay videos in addition to trailer:

I skipped DOAD so I can't comment too much on changes but I'm sure someone else can. In fact if there's any Raidou users that can bring people up to speed that'd be great

One thing I do know is he kept his fireball from DOAD, which is pretty cool (see Ayane video). It seems like it's around 60 frames. Ideally it can be cancelled or incorporated into some strings...

DoANoob

This Raidou person doesn't seem like an easy character to learn, then again this is the 1st time I've heard of him(late DOA player).

SilverForte

I used Raidou in doad to some extent, not as much as genra but I was capable with him.

His moveset looks pretty much exactly the same, only difference is he has this EWGF look alike. Raidous problem in doad was that his moves were extremely unsafe on block, like -13 or more. What sort of offset this was he had a few good guard breaks. 6 p+k was +5 or 6, 236 k was +3, and 214k was around the same I think.

His fireball was utter garbage, like every other projectile in doad aside from genras lightning. He could charge it to 2 variable speeds, a faster charge for a weaker fireball, or slower charge for stronger fireball, the problem here was that both were still really slow, and it was - on block. There was nothing stopping your opponent from just blocking it or evading it with a hold, just useless, you couldn't cancel it or anything.

Raidou did have some pretty powerful throws, but really wierd KOF like inputs. 6HCFT was the 30f OH, with a breakable T or 236236T followup. The 236236 followup was more powerful but had to be buffered to prevent being broken. Only problem here was the throw was 30f, which meant anyone competent wasn't going to be hit by it, he made audible sound and very obvious slow crouching animation before executing the move.

Raidous greatest strength in doad was his really good stun-launch, his 33k had these funny relaunch properties that allowed you to do stuff like this-

33k(launch)-33k-8p-33k-7k, from moderate stuns, you didn't have to go that deep.

If they just copy paste raidou from doad he wont be good, his lows are just too bad and his frames are god awful. They're gonna have to make sure he keeps his good guard breaks, make his 2p better,( it was 13f but like -3 on hit) give him better lows in general, the only decent one he has is bass's 1p. Just make him safer, no reason for a character to be -12 or more on almost everything.

I'll probably update this more when I get home and am able to go through raidou stuff on doad.

Last edited:

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
So he is more akin to his DOA1 moveset, only modernized and includes some of his DOAD moves.

synce

Thanks for all the info silverforte. He sounds sucky, but I guess that's to be expected of heavy characters in DOA. Unsafe fireball and slow, breakable OH are especially disappointing so hopefully that gets fixed, and ground throw oki would probably help with his speed issue

SilverForte

Nevermind the fireball is actually + on block, still crap as you could just evade it when he shot it, and he doesn't get anything if you block it anyways.

Another problem that I hope they fix for doa5lr is that Raidou has no 6T, only 5T. If this remains true it will really really suck as he will have no good punish throw that is unbreakable.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
The worst thing about the character is his horrible throw punish game, which really bad considering he's the only character without a 7i command throw and he doesn't actually have a throw slower than 7i.

Brute

Standard Donor
The worst thing about the character is his horrible throw punish game, which really bad considering he's the only character without a 7i command throw and he doesn't actually have a throw slower than 7i.
He didn't have an i7, but he also didn't have any slower than that? I'm confused. Are you saying his only throw was a neutral 5T? I thought the underworld drop was a throw rather than an OH?

If they just copy paste raidou from doad he wont be good, his lows are just too bad
Looks like he's been copying Hayabusa.

RoboJoe

Is Raidou's fireball mid or high? If mid, it could see some use after breakable objects when you're far away enough that your opponent would recover before you could run up and launch them.

If high, then wtf can you do with it?

SilverForte

Here's the thing, in doad both T and 6T were 7f, grappler chars had 6f T and 6T. Raidou was unique in that he didn't have a separate 5T and 6T. His 5T was hayates 6T. So the problem here is that Raidou is completely missing a 6T. If they just port him over he will either have a 7f breakable 5T, or 5f breakable 5T, who knows? They will have to give him a completely new throw to compensate, personally I'm hoping for genras 6T.

The rest of his throw game is pretty good, he has kasumis old 33T but it's 10f instead of 12 I believe.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
He didn't have an i7, but he also didn't have any slower than that? I'm confused. Are you saying his only throw was a neutral 5T? I thought the underworld drop was a throw rather than an OH?

I did say command throw. His normal throw is 7i and that's his fastest standing throw.

SilverForte

Oh I forgot to say. In doad neutral throws were not breakable, so for all intents and purposes his 5T was his punish throw.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Sorry for the double post, but wanted to put this here since it seemed that most people missed it.

I honestly think this is the best moveset he had in terms of general tools.

Gultigargar

DOA++ Raidou is very fun to play, which is why I was a bit disappointed that his moveset seems to be copied from DOAD. I haven't actually played that game, so for all I know it might be a good thing, but a lot of his animations from there look weirdly clunky to me.

Anyway, for anyone interested in playing Raidou I'd recommend trying him in DOA++. The dude's taunt doubles as a down attack and makes his eyes glow red, it's great.

David Gregg

Anyway, for anyone interested in playing Raidou I'd recommend trying him in DOA++. The dude's taunt doubles as a down attack and makes his eyes glow red, it's great.

What would be the point though (unless they wanted to play ++)? They're basing most of his moveset on DOAD. I've played him in DOAD. He's pretty generic. Like a Hayabusa-Hayate hybrid although slower and pretty unsafe. His throws are pretty damaging though (once you get the inputs down).

Last edited:

synce

Haha I see bits of Kasumi, Bayman, and Zack in there... That mishmash style makes me want to pick Seth back up. Here's hoping LR's Raidou can wreak as much havoc

SilverForte

Alright here's a list of Raidous guard breaks in doad, they should port over with the possible exception of 6 p+k, which would suck because its his best one.

pp6p(p)- +6 I think
236k- hitomis 236k, +3
214K- hayates 214k. +9
6 p+k- genfus. 18f, +6
4 p+k- gen fus- its +6 or you can charge it for +25 or so.

his fireball is + but it doesnt really matter.

Something else to add is his 2 h+k, it has really long range, like momijis, but the best part is it has no "small hit" or whatever it's called. No matter how much of his foot hits them, he gets the full advantage as if he hit it point blank. It gives him enough advantage to launch with 33k or extend the stun if he's close enough.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD