News Rumor Mill: DOA to EVO Japan?

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
evo-japan-vfr-jpg.2977

It was recently announced at Tokyo Game Show 2016 that the inaugural EVO Japan is set for January 2018. Along with the announcement is a list of well-known fighting game community partnerships in Japan such as VFR (for Virtua Fighter’s Beat-Tribe Cup series), the legendary Mikado Arcade, KVO, Cooperation Cup, Game Newton, Tekken's MASTERCUP series, and much more. The partnership that stood out from the rest is Playse, which is known for hosting DOA tournaments in Japan.

In addition, former Shoryuken writer Ian “iantothemax” Walker speculated a tweet listing three 3D fighting games and the website of their communities, with FreeStepDodge being one of them.

This isn't the first time DOA has appeared at EVO, since DOA4 appeared at EVO 2006. Could this mean something huge for the DOA community? We’ll have to wait and see when the EVO Japan lineup is announced at EVO 2017 in July.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Any additional tournament for DOA sounds good, but I'm going to wait it out before I start getting excited.

Xhominid The Demon Within

Hopefully we are announced for EVO Japan. While they still have the typical flagship games played there, there is still plenty of old and other niche games getting plenty of love from that side of the world compared to America and I'd rather those niche games is what makes EVO Japan and not simply EVO America in a different coat of paint.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
Hopefully we are announced for EVO Japan. While they still have the typical flagship games played there, there is still plenty of old and other niche games getting plenty of love from that side of the world compared to America and I'd rather those niche games is what makes EVO Japan and not simply EVO America in a different coat of paint.
Based on the partnerships, it looks like we might get those as well.

Mikado Arcade is known to have old school/obscure fighters. VF3tb World Cup is also listed, which means we could get VF3tb. There a ton of fighters there that have those qualities.

Also, I bet they are going to have Arcade Cabinet setups, just like the SBO series.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I would probably try to travel for this if there were assurances it wouldn't be run with the typical single elimination bad format Japanese tournaments have.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD