DOA5LR Sarah's Step Cancel

Lulu

So i was playing VF5 and I noticed something. I don't know how many of you already know this but it Looks like Sarah can Cancel into her Step Stance (:1::P+K: in Flamingo Stance) without having to go into Flamingo (or immediately after going into Flamingo, which ever makes more sense to you).

Getting Started.
I added some Frame data in brackets next to each string: (On Block / On Hit / On Counter Hit and Hi Counter Hit)

1. :P::P::P::8::K::P+K: (-25/-14/+17)
  2. :6::P::4::K::P+K:(-28/-10/+25 Push Back)
  3. :3::P::K::P+K:(-29/-30/-1)
  4. :8::K::P+K:(-26/+15/Launcher)
  5. :1::H+K::K::P+K:(-41/-25/+10 Push Back)
  6. BT:H+K::P+K:(-20/+4/+4)

As you can see, there's a catch, you can only enter the Step Stance from a String with a Flamingo Stance Transitioning Kick already in it..... the only singular Flamingo Stance Transition Kicks you can enter the Step Stance from are :8::K::P+K: and BT:H+K::P+K:.

Okay so what are your options while stepping:
  1. :P::P: Charm Knuckle Chop is i15 Frames on Start Up and both punches hit Mid. The first punch is safe on block while the second punch is unsafe at a whopping -15.... but on hit the first punch always causes a sideways Feint Stun which you can follow up with a Jab or some other Fast attack and You can follow it up with the with the Second Punch which is fast be inputed immediately after the first punch, you can not delay it to bait out holds, it is a tracking Launcher though..... so have fun with that.
  2. :P+K: is Sarah's Fake.... it has two functions.... it puts you back in Flamingo Stance and it Parries Low punches and only Low Punches. You're probably not going to see much of the latter in DoA. But in Virtua Fighter 5 this Parry reigned supreme because low punches in that game were the top option in the list of ways you can defend yourself since every character in the game has a i10 Frame Low Punch, it crushed all kinds of things including Sarah's Flamingo. still though... I'm glad its in DoA.... you can also use it to Taunt. :oops:
  3. :K::5::K::5::K: Edge Kick Combo is your second strike option while stepping and its 17 Frames on Start up.... and yes this is the exact same Edge Kick you get from Flamingo Stance :P::2::K::5::K::5::K:. So let me lay this one out nice and simple, you have to successfully land each kick because you are never at advantage until you land the 3rd kick. You must input the 2nd and 3rd kick on hit.... if you input the commands before you make contact then you won't get the rest of the kicks.... don't worry though, its not a just frame, its very lenient, my advice is you should visually confirm the 1st kick and then input the other 2 kicks. Don't be afraid...the opponent can not hold in between the string... they can only hold after the final kick, you will be in Flamingo Stance and you cannot throw from this stance.... you're going to have to punish holds some other way... or you can try throwing from your Normal Stance. Now, if the 1st kick, the low kick, is blocked, then you won't have the option of completing the string and you will be at a massive disadvantage at -13 which is just enough for Hayabusa's Izuna in case you need an example of how bad that is. If the entire string is successful then your reward is a Feint Stun and you'l be in Flamingo Stance, which you can't follow up with anything other than :1::K::K: from the combo challenge.
  4. :H+P: i16 and :426::H+P: i19 are your only offensive holds and you can only access them when While Stepping, they are actually pretty fast, but the Stepping animation does render that point moot.... basically you can just use these to show off.... she is the only VF character who has them after all.

My advice is if you're going to step into :P::P: then don't do the second punch.... stepping always puts you at disadvantage and since thats the only string that requires the opponent to block standing and the second punch is unsafe, you might as well use the first punch as a Hit Confirm for something from your normal stance (remember this string is not delay-able)... ;)

If you head into the move list, one thing you'l notice is any move that can be cancelled or can cause a stance Transition will be marked with a white box with black letters in it..... lol I can't actually see what the letters are but it looks like [SP].... which I assume stands for Special Properties (Parries, Sabakis, Stance Transitions & Cancels, Unblockables and possibly charge and guard break moves)

Conclusion.
Actually now that I think about it.... this thread isn't much use without some insight into The Flamingo Stance. Stepping is actually the Sub-Stance.... The Flamingo is the Primary Stance and there isn't a guide to Flamingo just yet... I'd make one myself but good lord its such a tall task, theres alot of things you can do with Flamingo and I actually haven't mastered it as well as I have with the Forward Slide....... I hope somebody makes one. But then again that guide won't be much use without a Beginners Guide to get people started with Sarah in the first place.

If I missed anything please let me know. I'l make corrections and updates as soon as I can.

Special shout out to @Nuke-Nin , consider this an extension of the Kick Cancel Thread. ;). Also Feel Free To Check out The Slide Guide.....

Last edited:

Lulu

Why would you want to Cancel into her Step you ask ?
Well entering The Flamingo Stance does give you + Frames on block and from there you can get more use out of her Offensive Holds.... shes the only VF Character who has them... why not show them off. And now you have another tool to mix up with. :)

But step with caution... Nothing is guatanteed.

Lulu

Yeah that move does look weird even by VF standards..... maybe its just because I don't see it enough. For a fighting game thats mostly realistic, I think its weird she can slide back and forth across any surface as if it were ice. :p

Lulu

Okay I think I have all the moves now, 6 in Total. I was tripped up by the fact that in VF 5 there are two more strings that allow Step Cancelling....

All right I guess the only thing left is to write up what you can actually do while in The Step Animation..... its quite stupid really...... that should have been the very first thing I should have done. :oops:

Lulu

All right !!! Other than a few spelling errors and possibly alil misinformation I believe Sarah's Step Breakdown is complete !!!! WOOOHOOOO !!!

Edit: I doubled checked properties... did my best with the grammar and spelling.... added some headings and numbered points....

Uhm... yeah, I can't think of anything to add from here.... again, please let me know if I missed something or if theres room for improvement, if you have video then send me the link and I'l put it up there.

Allright I hope thats enough to start building a strategy around Stepping... hope you find some useful tech and most importantly I hope yall have fun.
Happy Stepping Everybody !!! :)

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD