Streams: Is TwitchTV the future of eSports?

I recently read a featured article on my personal favorite game developer website, Gamasutra, where TwitchTV employee Justin Kan discussed how they grew the company from its Justin.TV beginnings.

As an overview, he talks about the explosion of streams specifically designed to broadcast not only game competitions, but marathons as well. There is also talk about how some players have found some revenue in providing such streams, and how the developers can utilize streams to make effective marketing. For example, 8WayRun has been doing a 24/7 stream of the recently released Soul Calibur V game to provide more exposure to the game, its website, and the community all-in-one.

At the end of the article, Justin Kan writes about future SDKs provided that will allow streaming directly from a game - PC and console. It's certainly something I'd like to see utilized for Dead or Alive 5, especially if it's going after a statement of "Fighting Entertainment":

Justin Kan said:
[We] are building SDKs to get broadcasting enabled directly from console, PC, web or mobile games. By letting users stream directly from their games, a massive amount of user generate content can be unlocked, opening up an entirely new marketing channel for engaging gamers around a game at launch through maturity.

TwitchTV-Logo2.png

Source: Gamasutra - SPONSORED FEATURE: TwitchTV - How to Build Community Around Your Game in 2012

Interesting read. The site looks pretty sweet from what I saw. I hope they plan to add more games for viewing, the FGC would love that.

we have a local stream on j.tv that runs Mondays, mostly SF4,UmvC and prolly SC5 now. We started about a month back.

Streaming has certainly democratised video game broadcast and made it accessible. Twitch TV is certainly one to watch and I would say a FSD Twitch account is a must.

Streaming has certainly democratised video game broadcast and made it accessible. Twitch TV is certainly one to watch and I would say a FSD Twitch account is a must.

It's not so much that we lack one, it's that we lack a game to stream at the moment...

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD