Subway's "Musings of a Tengu Master"

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
This is a guide to DOA4 Tengu by Subway (also known as NOD Subway, or Yawbus Don), which he originally posted on DOAWorld in May of 2012. Since it's about tech and strategy and all that jazz, I figured we should have it here on FSD as well.

I take no credit for this. As I said, it's Subway's guide.

---

Musings of a Tengu Master. Part One (Strats, History, and setups)

I've been meaning to do this a while now. I just couldn't find the time or the drive to actually sit down and do it. Also an outlet was kind of required, and since choosing this site i have that so it's finally time to get this done.
This is going to be a big project so this is only part one of probably 2 but maybe 3 so bear with me ^__^.
First some explanation, I've been playing Tengu (Gohyakumine Bankotsubo) for a very long time, nearly 7 years. I was originally an Ayane user, however I became tired of being predictable since Ayane is so popular so as a joke I switched to Tengu and just kind of kept doing it until it was all i was known for, after less then 3 months I went from complete obscurity to everyone in DOAU at the time knowing my name, lulz and hating me.

Don't take it as ego when i say I'm the best Tengu in the world, it really isn't that much of an acomplishment, seeing as there are so few. But through all the hate and the fact that in DOA4 Tengu is low tier as it gets, I've stuck with the character and done things noone else has and invented strats I myself still can't believe work, and now for the first time, I'm going to give them away.

It might be because DOA5 is coming out and we may never see the character again and it might be that some part of me is too proud and wants to show off, but either way I hope this will help anyone who wants to learn this really underappreciated character and spread the motto of "Do The Gu" to the masses.

With all that said, here we go, I apologize in advance for the length this will be ^__^ I may add more posts in order to clarify on things or add more thoughts later on and also it should be noted that this is for DOA4 tengu only, if it is requested i will do DOAU Tengu as well.

Enter the Tengu:
Let's talk mindset. First thing you need to understand as a Tengu user, is your place. You are below everyone, Period. Tengu is the least respected character in the Dead or Alive series. This is because of alot of reasons. He's visually unappealing, hard to unlock, plays and reacts differently from the DOA norm, but mostly its because in DOAU he was broken. I have trouble admitting that but it's true. He was the best character in that game and very difficult to stop. Most havent gotten over that despite how bad he is now (and well get to that.) so expect to get alot of flak and very little respect no matter what you do.

From a gameplay perspective Tengu requires a unique mindset, you have to understand that you will never be in control, you are always at the disadvantage and nothing is certain (Damn im not selling this well am I? ^__^; ) As tengu you will not control tempos like busa and helena. You exist to capitalize on your opponent's mistakes and try to get them to make more. But in this regard it's not all bad. Tengu has one major advantage going for him and that's noone uses him. Meaning that most people won't be able to read you right away and some will probably have never even seen him played before. Add to that that Tengu is very tall and the animation changes very little for ducking as well as his moves are often just odd looking that its very hard to get a read on him without seeing things a few times. Tengu is a trickster god, you won't dominate your opponents but you can still watch them flail and laugh (with Tengu's taunt litterally ^__^) as they don't understand and counter maddeningly as you take full advantage.

To put things more practically tengu is a medium to long range character depending on the opponent and should avoid being in close range almost at all times. Spacing and turtle tactics are constantley required as well as decent yomi. leanring to be patient and press your advantage only at the right times is a must.

BUT WAIT! I know most of you are heading for the back button thinking that there's no point to all this, this character sounds awful and situational at best. Have you forgotten? HE'S GOT WINGS! Throws tornadoes in some versions! Wears stilts and a pointy hat! and let us not forget has the greatest line in the entire series "I refute your existence!" Now think about that line, a giant mythical Japanese bird demon is telling YOU you're not real. But really Tengu is a character that is alot harder to play as but worth it because of just how unique he is and a playstyle that's unlike anything i've ever played.

GAMEPLAY:
Let's talk setups shall we? but first another disclaimer ^__^; These are what I use, and how i play, so if you think anything you do or you see someone else do is better thats fine. What i'm doing here is giving you the moves and actions that work for me.

First thing we're going to discuss here is up close to mid-range. As previously stated, this is not where you want to be, but its often unavoidable and you need to know your options. Also not that just because something is useful in mid or close range doesnt make it not useful in long range and the same works in reverse, i use all of Tengu's attacks at all ranges all of the time, im just playing the law of averages here and giving the situations I use them most.

P+K - Tengu's fastest move, at I believe 13 frames. Known as the hell stab or as I call it the High Chop or Fan Slap. It's a fast High punch that causes a really decent stun. from this stun you can do alot of things, from just doing 3P or F+K for an instant launch or adding more stuns for a longer chain or combo. Also i've noticed over the years that it's one of those stuns that makes people want to counter to get out of it, meaning big time grab damage if you can get that set up. I like to use this to interupt people as well as as a fast move to open after safe moves (since it is his fastest attack). It should be noted that it is unsafe at -7 and can be punished on block and since it is your fastest move if you throw it out too much people have a tendency to try and counter it.

2PP - Tengus second fastest attack. A series of two low punches coming out at i believe 15 frames. It should be noted that the second punch isn't required and can be delayed a decent amount of time. Delaying it is a very good way to mess up the timing of people who either try to counter the second hit, block low and rerise, or fuzzy guard. Also simply not doing the second punch is a fun way to get a free low grab on block and counter happy opponents. The punches themselves cause a sun similar to the High Chop and instant launches as well as strings can follow, examples of which will be given when we get to combos. It should be noted that the second punch is unsafe enough for any standard low grab and the move has the odd effect of occasionally pushing opponents out of range of follow up attacks, but this is rare.

8K - Oh the classics eh? This move is alot slower then in DOAU but it does have the added advanted of being a high crush which is fun, its not an instant launch on hit but does cause a decent stun and can be used as a high attack launcher if an opponent is already stunned. The attack is unsafe but leads into a string (which is even more unsafe) but still making it hard to punish. Also the attack can be hit with a low offensive hold but thats rare that an opponent will do so.

Lets talk mid to long range now.

F+K - This right here is your bread and butter as far as my playstyle goes, this attack is quite good. its a mid kick unsafe on its own but leads into a safe string. The range is incredible on this attack and since it leads into a safe string, K.P , its reletively safe to do though the K.P is easily countered but its neutral on block and the second kick if countered is a sidestep counter so its safer then most. this attack interupts many moves in the game and if it does it's an instant launch, alot of your damage will come from this setup. if it doesnt launch on hit its causes a stun that sends your opponent reeling back, while they're in this stun you can launch with either 3P or F+K again for a quick combo. I use this to space away and whiff punish opponents, as well as to hit opponents dashing in at me or using long range attacks. If you continue into the K.P afterwords and it connects you get a small launch to work with depending on your opponents size. This attack can be lead into with tengus low sweep 2F+K and still lead to a launch as well, you can do this with 2F+K or 2F+K2K for one or two sweep hits before the launch and still end in the K.P finish.

9P. G - Tengu's flying grab. What more should I say? He has a flying grab. It's not an offensive hold like busa or Lisa but a standard grab that can be used out of let's call it his flying stance. You enter said stance with 9P this causes Tengu to fly a short distance and can be repeated 3 times to cover the whole time, each basically being a fly dash you can stop after one, two, or three but you'll rarely if ever use more then one. You can only grab out of this stance and you can either low grab or mid grab the low grab being 2G out of the stance and the mid just G. The Mid does 58 damage on normal and 98 on hi counter, making it very useful for punishing opponents who counter at range or one of my favorites is doing it right after 2PP. The low does 50 damage and 73 Hi counter, its good for those who think the mid fly grab is coming and punishing them for ducking or low countering.

PK - when used on it's PK is a 2 hit string that is neutral safe on block. It comes out fast and has the added benefit of the first punch causing a slight stun so you can cancel out and go in another setup. But the real benefit here is the safety, it's one of tengu's only safe moves. Now if it hits and your opponent is stunned then you get a bounce launch to combo as you see fit, but the real neat trick is if it doesnt launch. you still get a bounce but nothing to work with combo wise, However you can hit them with 3P everytime, which causes a reset and makes them flip out of the air and land on their stomaches. Doing so does very little damage but the benefits of pushing your opponent farther away and giving you several setup oppertunities is not to be missed. My favorite is using the flying grab to instantly get them if they techroll into a block (which most do). using a single fly dash grab will work most of the time if your opponent commits to the block out of a tech and is just stylish as hell on top of dealing decent damage.

7K - Tengu's back flip kick. This is a midkick which is unsafe but leads into a chest ram second half (which should be noted is the MOST unsafe move in the game, its still useful in certain situations but bear that min mind. The kick by itself is a low crush and an instant launch that can be followed up by either the built in chest ram with just P or the Divebomb (which we'll get into later) It's low crush status, decent range, and instant launch make it a good clutch move and mixup.

6K - A long range high kick that causes a guard break on block. On hit it causes opponents to fly backwards. This move has a very long range on it and its guard break is quite good. After the guard break you can launch with 3P or F+K for a short combo. It should be noted that the kick can be ducked making it easily whiff punished.

Let's talk some grabs:

So I've already described Tengu's flying grab in detail, now let's deal with the others. In this regard Tengu is a mixed bag. He has some real damage in utility in some of his grabs, yet at the same time he has no standard 7 frame punish, meaning you have to either punish with his breakable 5 frame or an 8 frame. I use both depending on the situation, but really it just means from a standard punishment perspective Tengu isn't very well off.

G - Tengu's standard breakable 5 frame is what we in NOD used to call the J-Town Stomp, (don't judge us we were all young once ^__^) It keeps Tengu close after the grab animation, allowing for some groundgame in a few different ways which well cover later. For now, the grab does 45 damage and 67 damage on Hi counter. It does extra damage with an electirc floor. I use this mostly for punishment even though its breakable. In my experience most people won't be able to.

4G - Tengu's 8 frame punish grab, called well many unsavory things lulz but thats irrelevant. Tengu basically gives you a big hug! <3 It does 50 damage with 73 for Hi counter and more if theres an electirc floor since it ends in fall damage. I'll use this as a punish for moves that are -8 unsafe or more, and in that regard it works pretty well, as well as a fast grab for punishing counters.

6G- Tengu's standing offensive hold or catch grab. Does 45 damage and 67 on Hi counter. Pretty basic catch grab except that when on a wall it becomes an unbreakable multpart grab called THE SUBWAY STAPLER! ™ which does 52 damage and 74 Hi counter. You do the second part by just pressing P and there is never a logical reason not to, as expected it does extra damage on electric walls.

426G - Tengu's 12 frame high damage grab. Does really good damage at 68 and 108 Hi counter. Great way to punish counters.

2G - The best down grab in the game, period. 68 damage with 108 Hi counter, extremely fast and an easy input. This grab is really very good. It does extra damage on electic floors and has a ceiling bounce for extra damage and a very deep stun for relaunch. all around one of Tengu's best moves. It should be used to punish unsafe lows and low counters.

3G - Tengu's low offensive hold or catch grab. Tengu picks the opponent up and slams them for a bounce launch allowing for a short combo. It should be noted that doing so does more damage then 2G but only non Hi counter 2G. The grab by itself however does 30 damage with 45 on Hi counter.

Sorry again about the length, this is going to be the end for part one, Part 2 will be done really soon and its all about combos, ground game, and wakeup ^___^. I hope this helps any aspiring Tengu users and if you have any questions feel free to ask. I'm going to leave you with a visual reference of some of the things discussed here, a few matches ive had, one is from a for money tourney a few years ago, I've evolved some things since then but still they show off alot of what ive talked about here.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Musings of a Tengu Master. Part two. (Wakeup, ground game, and COMBOS)

Welcome to Part Two! This part of the guide will be much more technical and move based where the first one was more philisophical, so if all you care about is combos and stratagey then heres your spot.

First thing's first, If youre a visual style learner or just like watching combo vids, I have two. They are at the bottom of this post, the first one is the most recent and most relevant, alot of the combos i discuss here and a few setups from Part One are shown as well, and credit for it's creation goes entirely to the wonderful Ms Solitary Rose, wouldn't have been able to do it without her. The second one is slightly older but still worth a look, there are some concept combos I invented and kickass music so theres that. Now with that out of the way lets keep this Tengu train subway going. ^__^

Death from above:

Let's talk about what I'm sure most people who have ever seen Tengu played know will be the most important aspect of this whole guide. Tengu's Divebomb. The Divebomb or 8P+K is Tengu's down attack (defined as attack that can only be used when opponent is on the ground or in the air.) It is without any doubt the best down attack in the game, Tengu's no doubt best attack, and the only thing that makes him a playable character at all. When setup correctly it is untechable meaning opponents cannot get up in time to avoid it. It does 30 damage and 40 on electric floors. I'm going to say this now, though some Tengu users may disagree (they are wrong) unless your opponent is directley next to a wall there is NO reason not to add the divebomb to the end of every combo. It's a pure numbers game, it simply does more damage then any other combo ending setup. this includes 8PPP, 7KP, PPP Anything. The actual string that you'll want to add to every combo that gives you enough height is 8PP Divebomb which is 8P+K. Pretty much anytime your opponent is in the air that is what you'll want to do. And in situations where you dont get enough height go do 8PP then just divebomb, the 30-40 damage is more then any of those other endings i described earlier even by itself.

Now there are some situations where the Divebomb is techable, well discuss those now. It can be wallteched, meaning that if an opponent is right next to a wall they can get up much faster thus avoiding the it. If the Divebomb misses then it is a free down grab to the opponent so you need to watch your surroundings carefully. If you think your opponent will land too close to a wall then you have 2 options. If you're very close to said wall then end in 8PPP it does decent damage and the wall hit will do more. If youre farther away from the wall and you think 8PPP wouldnt connect for wall damage or your launch wasnt hight enough for it, then use 7KP, it will almost always hit a wall youre aiming at and it can be done with a smaller launch window.

Another situation where it's techable is stage dependent, Ninja Hideout (or as I call it the birdcage) has celing dividers between rooms that tengu gets caught up on causing him to miss, so never use the Divebomb in the center of the starting room of that stage. And experimental playgrounds tress sometimes do the same thing.

Launch setups:

There are some setups that really only exist in order to launch therefore have very little utility otherwise. The prime example of this is Tengu's 2K.K It's a low kick directley into a midkick that is safe but comes out kind of slow. However if it hits it will always launch, most of time just enough for a divebomb, but occaisionally enough for 8PP divebomb. for a mixup you can do 2KK which is two low kicks to confuse the opponent, this also causes a small stun.

Also in part one we discussed 6K. I would like to go deeper into this setup. On block this causes a guard break which can be hit into an instant launch with either 3P or F+K, this should always lead into 8PP Divebomb. However if you think the opponent will counter or slow escape or even if you see it and can react fast enough, a great setup is the flying grab to punish this.

Finally in Part One I talked about using F+K at a distance to interupt opponents attacks and run ins and that it causes instant launches if it does. Afterwords on light, medium, and heavy opponents (excluding Spartan and Tengu) you should always follow up with 8PP Divebomb, and just the Divebomb for the other two. Alot of your damage throughout the match will come from this.

COMBOS:

Alrighty folks, after discussing at length alot of tengus setups and launches it's time to get to the thick of it. Let's talk some combos. Typically DOA disclaimer here, all of these up until the actually launch are coutnerable like most things in DOA4. So the ability to predict and trick your opponent helps. That being said, i'm going to list as many of the combos that I use with Tengu as possible. Most of these can be seen in the combo vids at the bottom so visual decriptions wont be neccisary for most, however if you have any questions feel free to ask ^__^ Also as previously stated for wall and stage situations the Divebombs at the end can and should be switched out for 8PPP or 7KP. Here we Go!

(all damage values are for normal non counter hit)

2PP 3P 8PP Divebomb - 69 damage

2PP F+K Divebomb - 55 damage

2PP PP PK 8PP Divebomb - 91 damage

2PP PPP 3P 8PP Divebomb - 94 damage

P+K 3K 2K.K 8PP Divebomb - 101 damage

P+K K 3P 8Pp Divebomb - 92 damage

P+K K 1P F+K 8PP Divebomb - 101 damage

P+K 3P 8PP Divebomb - 77 damage

P+K F+K Divebomb - 63 damage

P+K PP PK 8PP Divebomb - 99 damage

PPP PK 8PP Divebomb - 91 damage

PP PPP 3P 8PP Divebomb - 97 damage

1PP 3P 8PP Divebomb - 90 damage

2K.K Divebomb - 56 damage

2KK 2K.K Divebomb - 68 damage

2F+KK.K 8PP Divebomb - 77 damage

P+K K 8K 8PP Divebomb - 92 damage

PP2K 8PP Divebomb - 88 damage

3G 8PP Divebomb - 78 damage

Some combos can only be done with a slope. The Stages that provide a slope good enough are Tritower Heliport, DOATECH labs and Seaside Market. if you start the combo at the top you can do some seriously entertaining things ^__^ heres some examples. (all include the electric wall hits for this damage example, this counts for tritower and doatech, they will do less on seaside market.)

P+K 3K 2K.K 8PP 7KP - 117 damage

2pp PP2K 8PP 7KP - 110 damage

P+K K 1P F+K 8PP 7KP - 117 damage

P+K K 1P F+K 8PP 8PPP - 118 damage

Now in my combo videos youll see me add Tengu's air grab (yes he has an air grab.) to the end of some of these slope grabs. That is for style only the air grab does so little damage so as to be unuseable in actual combat sadly. however if you wanted to use it its just G while the opponent is in the air.

When jumping over barriers Tengu's 8K becomes alot faster and better at interupting (nearly to what it was in DOAU) so doing so as soon as you hit the ground is great for a relaunch into 8PP Divebomb on most weight classes.

Wakeup, Groundgame and Backflipping!

Ok we're going to talk about wakeup in two ways here Tengu against opponents waking up and you waking up as Tengu. Let's start with the opponent. Now the smartest decisions most times is to just back away from a downed opponent after a divebomb or however you put them there. Now comes in in my opinion tengu's second most important move the Fake Backflip now i'm just now covering this but it should not understate this moves value, and it needs to be noted that its not just for wakeup. With Tengu 7P performs a move similar to his 7K a backflip but without the kick, Its much faster and takes you farther back. This move is Tengu's best way of spacing and whiff punishing. 7PP does the chest ram, and while still compleatley unsafe its a great way to punish any whiffed attack while youre backflipping. however you can back flip multiple times to just get some distance and make your opponents nervous about the chest ram. Backflipping then doing the flying grab is a fun way to make them even more nervous. I really cannot overstate how much I use this attack, watch any of my matches and youll see me do it constantly. Most of the time if youre hit while doing it youll just fall to the ground so its a good way to minimalize damage while retreating as well. If you wan to learn Tengu getting used to using this move alot is a must.

Now when opponents are waking up and they wakeup kick you have a few neat options. One is just backing up a bit doing a Fake Backflip and chestraming them as they miss the kick. Doing a Fake Backflip into a flying grab when they try to quickly block or counter the chest ram does even more damage at being slightly harder to time. Another way to punish wakeup kicks is spacing to just outside their range and using F+K for an isntant launch as soon as they whiff, and following up with a short combo. You should never stay right next to an opponent on the ground with Tengu, hes just too slow and unless youre a pro counterer youre just better off backing away.

Now if an opponent doesnt wakeup kick right away typically or they just like to lay there after being knocked into a roll across the screen or similar situation. Then Divebomb away, while not untechable in this situation it's still good damage and worth the risk often enough, if you time it correctley most times people wont be able to tech it anyway.

A more advanced setup is one I find myself using more and more. Using a single fly dash to jump over the opponent before they wakeup. This will often cause then to kick away from you, like what you see many ninja characters pull off. Using backturn 8KK does really good damage here and will send your opponent flying away. if they instantly turn around then using 2K causes a deep stun at the cost of being kinda slow. I also jump over them ( I call this move TengaBusa ^__^) and just grab if they turn around and block, what you do is based on your opponents so know all of your options.

Two more options for opponents on the ground pre wakeup are hitting them with 2K which causes them to be unable to tech as it rolls them over for a second or so then Divebombing. Also using 2K followed up but a single 2P causing a forcetech then as they do so using Tengu's 6G offensive hold which is a typical groundgame option for any character. it should be noted that this can also be done without the 2K if you so choose.

Now for wakeup from the being Tengu perspective. Tengu is pretty simple in this regard. You can always wakeup kick, connecting with any of the 3 will give you a stun good enough for 3P 8PP Divebomb which is always fun. Aside from that, simply teching then doing a Fake Backflip will give you some distance on opponents who arent in your face immediatley, and if they are then doing the chestram immediately after is a fun way to catch them off guard at the cost of being extremely unsafe.

If tengu is on this stomache facing the oppponent P+K will cause him to shoot off at the opponent at high speed for a a mid hit that knocks them down, and unless the opponent instantly techs youll almost always be able to hit 2K to go into any groundgame you see fit. Now this is easy to block but is safe since it causes a guard break but very easy to counter so use it sparingly. However if lay there for a second and make your opponent think its coming then you can tech quickly and go right into a flying dash into a grab, if done fast enough the animation is close enough to confuse people into countering or at least continue blocking so you can get the grab. At the very least it means most people wont run up on Tengu while hes facing forward on the ground like that allowing you to just get up at a distace and go from there, sometimes fear is just as effective as damage ^__^.

This will conclude Part Two. As before I'll leave you with visual aides. These are my two combo videos as described above. As always any questions feel free to ask. I have decided there will be a Part 3, which will be some closing thoughts and moves/setups that dont really fit into any other catagory Hope you enjoy ^____^

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Musings of a Tengu Master. Part Three. (Misc. and Wrapping up.)

Welcome to part three and the conclusion to our Tengu saga. Today were going to talk about some moves and setups that I either left out last time or didn't really fit into any of the previous topics. It also has a bit of random Tengu facts and lulzyness for you to enjoy. Compared to the last two this one will be kind of scattershot and all over the place so I apologize for that ^__^; so without further delay lets get started with the finishing.

Tengu Has Ups:

Tengu's jump or just 9P by itself is unique in DOA4, or to put it another way, this bird can get some air. Tengu jumps higher then any other character and can easily jump over any low attack, but seeing how any character can do that i know youre not intrested, but what you should be intrested in is the fact that Tengu can weaponize his leaps. Using P+K whilst in midair will cause Tengu to chest ram his opponent from midair knocking them across the stage. This is really good whiff punishment for low wakeup kicks if you managed to jump over them, but when combined with Tengu's flying grab is where this move finds it's true utility. while his jump and the fly dash are quite different and have different animations in the heat of battle the fact that tengu flys into the sky in both is enough to throw many an opponent off guard, causing them to duck if they think youre trying to hit the flying grab. This makes the flying chest ram very effective to mix up with the flying grab and keep your opponents guessing whenever tengu leaves the ground. It should be noted this move is extremely unsafe and doesn't track at all making it easily sidestepped, so keep that in mind.

Lack of auto aim:

An issue that I've had with the birdman since the very begining is the lack of tracking on alot of his moves. This applies to three moves more then anything. The fly dash, the flying chest ram, and the safe punch string F+KKP. Now the first two will really only miss if the opponent actively tries to sidestop them but F+KKP is different. This move will miss entirely even if your opponent doesnt move at all, making it very frustrating at times. Now if youre opponent blocks or counters it will usually hit, as to why this is i dont know. But if they stand still it will miss nearly 50% of the time, just veering off course and hitting air. Tengu is the only character with a move that does this and honestly i blame just lack of caring in his development, but i really dont know. So keep this in mind when using this string, it is extremly useful but sometimes, Tengus aim is your worst enemy.

Something I left out when talking about 6K was that it's very common for the opponent to try and counter your instant launch after the guard break. That's why it's a great idea to fly grab them after a hit. This is a great way to punish not only countering but slow escaping opponents, and the distance is perfect for a single fly dash grab. Also 6K can be lead into by K, so doing K.K does a high kick then 6K right after.

Another fun thing (which you will have noticed if you watched my earlier combo video ^__^) is that Tengu's 2G has the added benefit of like the izuna drop, going over or breaking through the bridge on waterfall valley for massive extra damage. It will also go over walls and off ledges on stages like great and others, adding even more reasoning for it being the best low grab in the game.

Tengu's PK 2 hit safe string can also be done with 1P before the K and the 1P can be done twice before the kick for more mixup possibility. And the kick is still safe.

8PP on it's own can be used as a high attack launcher during stuns, however it doesnt launch very high and the only thing you'll typically be able to get for an air juggle is the Divebomb, but it's still a good mixup if you think theyll counter mid or low.

Tengu's 6P+K punch is a close hit, meaning it does more damage the closer you are to your opponent when you do it. I personally almost never use this attack due to how unbearably slow it is. But if you ever wanted to it does have some utility at close range.

Here's some fun Tengu related facts! :
  • Tengu's nose cures diseases
  • Tengu has the best abs in the game, you cant see them in DOA4 due to the lack of costume love ( a palette swap really?!) but play DOAU and youll understand.
  • Those shoes he wears aren't easy to stand in (ive tried ^__^)
  • In DOAU his tornadoes changed colors depending on your costume choice.
  • The Divebomb does so much damage due to Tengu's hat, which by the way is extremely sharp and litterally tied to his head, you can see the string.
  • Tengu is still banned in many online tournaments in DOA4, for no real reason, and I never get a straight answer as to why. Most still assume hes overpowered, but I hope this guide will make people stop doing that. There may be very few Tengu users but we are still out there, so banning him from your tournaments isn't fair to us, just saying.
  • Tengu is the only character in the Dead or Alive series to fight with a weapon (His fan) however hitting opponents with the fan holding hand does the same amount of damage as the opposite hand, so it can be stated to be the least effective weapon in any fighting game.
  • When used on tengu: DOA4 Kasumi 9G , DOA4 Ayane backturn 4G and DOAU Ayane 66G.2G Lulz.
  • Tengu in DOA4 is in his own weight class just like spartan, hers is typically called super heavyweight, while Tengu's at slightly heavier is usually on guides called demon weight or devil weight. What's most intresting about this is spartan weighs over 1,000 lbs and Tengu only 500 making him more heavy while she weighs more. o_O
  • Tengu being called Tengu in and of itself is kind of odd seeing as how it's his race and not his name. You don't see the other characters called Human, and Alpha 152 called energy female thing.
  • Tengu's win counter pictures at the bottom of the screen used for tracking win streaks are for one win, a tree. For 5 wins, a hill. And for 10 wins, a mountain. Meaning that everytime i beat you I am one step closer to saving the rain forest.
Well that's about all there is. This is the depth of my knowledge both useful and somewhat silly on the character of Tengu whom I have devoted my entire DOA career to learning. If i've left anything out I may add it later if it comes to me or is requested and as always feel free to ask any questions you might have and ill do my best to answer them. Also if as some have already told me and you plan to use these pages to study my playstyle and beat me, I wish you the best of luck *^*

In all seriousness I really enjoyed writing this and I'm grateful for the positive feedback I've recieved. I hope this will help anyone wanting to learn more about Tengu or just DOA in general. Being a Tengu user has been really rough, I've been hated, told i cant be in tournaments, called all kinds of terrible things and so forth. But I really love using him in DOA I feel unique and original, I've had the oppertunity to invent a playstyle that's all my own and very few can say that about there characters, overall i have no regrets about it and I hope if hes in DOA5 to continue using him until the wings fall off ^__^.

I'll leave you with a video reference like parts one and two but this one is a little difference, it's a video an old friend of mine made using tengu soundbites and a random beat track he found. I hope you enjoy!

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Lol. Yes, I quite like it. I wish there weren't so many grammatical errors in it though, lol. I also don't know why he substituted the usual throw notations of F+P, H+P, or T with "G". It's weird. I've never seen anyone do that.

It's still a really nice guide though. I'm glad that there even is a guide for DOA4 Tengu. I'd also like to see him do the DOA2U Tengu guide that he said he'd do if it were requested. Someone doing a DOAD Tengu guide would be neat too.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Lol. Yes, I quite like it. I wish there weren't so many grammatical errors in it though, lol. I also don't know why he substituted the usual throw notations of F+P, H+P, or T with "G". It's weird. I've never seen anyone do that.

It's still a really nice guide though. I'm glad that there even is a guide for DOA4 Tengu. I'd also like to see him do the DOA2U Tengu guide that he said he'd do if it were requested. Someone doing a DOAD Tengu guide would be neat too.

You have to understand that he's not very familiar with writing guides or community basics because he rarely posts at DOAW, and as far as I know, never posts here.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
You have to understand that he's not very familiar with writing guides or community basics because he rarely posts at DOAW, and as far as I know, never posts here.

It's all good. I'm just a bit of a grammar Nazi is all, so I can't help but notice it, lol. Like I said, it's still a great guide for an under appreciated character all the same.

I appreciate you putting this here. Never thought to do so myself since I never wanted to post on this site. (Only made an account for the bring back Tengu for doa5u attempt) Plus you know, i never figured there was that big of an audience for it. I wrote this because the character deserved a proper sendoff. It's nice to know there are those who enjoyed it.

Also forlorn, I've to the best of my knowledge never played you. I still have a copy of doa4, A tengu mirror match with another Tengu savant as youre called might be fun if youre intrested.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
I appreciate you putting this here. Never thought to do so myself since I never wanted to post on this site. (Only made an account for the bring back Tengu for doa5u attempt) Plus you know, i never figured there was that big of an audience for it. I wrote this because the character deserved a proper sendoff. It's nice to know there are those who enjoyed it.

No problem. I love Tengu and saw that you had made a guide for him on DOAWorld, so I figured it should be here too, seeing as this is the more competitive focused of the two sites. It's definitely a great guide.

Also forlorn, I've to the best of my knowledge never played you. I still have a copy of doa4, A tengu mirror match with another Tengu savant as youre called might be fun if youre intrested.

No, we've never played. And lol, as much as I like the thought, I'm no savant. I'm just of a rare breed who actually plays Tengu and have become somewhat known on these pages as the resident Tengu main simply because I'm so vocal about him.

I never got particularly good with ol' Bankotsubo myself, but he's just too damn cool and such a blast to play, that I ended up sticking with him.

I'd still be up for the mirrors though. We can be in contact through PMs about it.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD