The ALPHA Match-up Thread

Even though I don't play ALPHA I wanted to make a match-up thread for her because I didn't see one :p

Just discuss here and I will update the post based on what everyone agrees on.
You can contact me on my xbox live account if necessary.

Paradise

This forum is dead but I need it not to be lol. I propose we discuss the Alpha-Sarah match up first. Any takers? On a random note, I've noticed that :214::426::F+P: catches like EVERYTHING Sarah does. I honestly just randomly throw that shit out there against her with no consequence.

ErickBello

This forum is dead but I need it not to be lol. I propose we discuss the Alpha-Sarah match up first. Any takers? On a random note, I've noticed that :214::426::F+P: catches like EVERYTHING Sarah does. I honestly just randomly throw that shit out there against her with no consequence.

It catches because... well, everything that Sarah does is mid or High, tho.

Play the distance game, and be agressive, try to OH the most possible. And dont use :4::K::K::K::K::K::K: that much, she can block it and sidestep it, Also watch your situation when floating from :7::K: or from :7::P::5::F::5::P: Sarah can take a huge advantage from that and even setup a CB combo. I've experimented it. :4::P: gets an unholdable stun and guard breaks if blocked, use it.

synce

I honestly don't believe Alpha has a bad matchup. The only thing really keeping her from being god tier is the lack of wake up kicks :) Actually one of the reasons I moved on from her was it just became too easy to win, but if anyone's giving you trouble let me know and I'll help out.

And on a semi-related note I'm very eager to see what TN does with Alpha in v1.03. I remember pestering them about giving her more teleports, maybe it's possible seeing as the v1.03 videos contain "new" moves for all the characters.

Paradise

I honestly don't believe Alpha has a bad matchup. The only thing really keeping her from being god tier is the lack of wake up kicks :) Actually one of the reasons I moved on from her was it just became too easy to win, but if anyone's giving you trouble let me know and I'll help out.

And on a semi-related note I'm very eager to see what TN does with Alpha in v1.03. I remember pestering them about giving her more teleports, maybe it's possible seeing as the v1.03 videos contain "new" moves for all the characters.
At this point in playing alpha, I genuinely think that she would be overpowered with neutral teleports. I don't think she needs a wake-up kick at all, or even a fix to her abysmal wall game. I wouldn't even be surprised if she got nerfed. I don't know why she's not higher in the tiers we have so far.

synce

Yeah nerfs aren't out of the question although I don't think it'd be right without some buffs to balance it out. Like if they were to just nerf Alpha's damage output and change nothing else she'd be totally useless. She has SO many weaknesses that can generally be overlooked only because she can quickly deplete a lifebar. Just imagine Kasumi with no wakeup kicks, no real counters and no guaranteed setups with a vastly unsafe and linear movelist. :eek:

Paradise

Yeah nerfs aren't out of the question although I don't think it'd be right without some buffs to balance it out. Like if they were to just nerf Alpha's damage output and change nothing else she'd be totally useless. She has SO many weaknesses that can generally be overlooked only because she can quickly deplete a lifebar. Just imagine Kasumi with no wakeup kicks, no real counters and no guaranteed setups with a vastly unsafe and linear movelist. :eek:
Agreed. If they gave her a damage nerf I could see neutral teleports and a wakeup kicks but as she is now I can't co-sign that lol. I honestly hope she's just left alone. She is at a good place right now in terms of balance, i'd say high tier but probably not top.

synce

High tier sounds about right although in tag she's in a tier of her own :cool: If anyone's still putting her low on tier lists it's probably because they're just looking at her abysmal frame data. Admittedly it can be tough opening up a good player with Alpha so you generally have to rely on whiff punishment but if you can bait a couple counters the match is over.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Christie and Kokoro are wenches for Alpha players because they can pressure Alpha to a wall fairly easy, and just rape her from there. They also have a lot of low attacks that can avoid R.U.S.H, and that's by far Alpha's best throw since it can absolutely murder anyone that tries a wake-up kick from a bad distance or spams highs. Her second best, B.R.E.A.K can also be useless because it goes high, and Kokoro and Christie have a tendency to go low and avoid her OH all the time, mostly by accident! Her 4P crush also comes in handy against these two, and is an unholdable stumble stun, it may not be great for a follow up attack, but this stumble actually serves a very important purpose that I'll let you figure out.

Advice against these two? Master the parry. Lots of lows and mids for Christie mean you can parry her a lot. If you can tell she's going for a high instead quickly go for a R.U.S.H.

I'm sure some would argue Helena is a pain for Alpha, but I would have to disagree. Since her BKO stance allows for some really annoying D.I.V.E.S. Once she stops trusting her own stance, cancel out of her float and use her OH. 6KK the **** out of her and don't forget to finish with 66P. If it's blocked go for an EASY OH or R.U.S.H. Do not let Helena build momentum of any sort.

Brad Wong can be an absolute cake-walk for an experienced Alpha. His back is expose a lot, and he also lays down which makes him highly vulnerable to getting stringed into 6KK and that blessed dive. He'll get annoyed and before you know it you'll nail a high counter throw that takes half of his health if he isn't dead already from dives.

Ayane and Kasumi can be formidable opponents. Make sure you R.U.S.H a lot and catch them with :H+K: if they come hurling at you. Sometimes you can follow up with B.U.R.S.T, Alpha's strongest throw.

Hayabusa has a lot of ways to avoid Alpha's offense, and this can get a little annoying. If he starts disappearing a lot fight fire with fire and dive into him every chance you get.

Rig and Sarah are easy pickings because of all their highs. For these two avoid OH and make sure R.U.S.H is being used as often as it can be.

Bayman and Bass will find it difficult to avoid Alpha's speed an offense and can be gobbled up fast by OH and easy combo strings that can be used on heavyweights. Beware Bayman and Tina's OH near walls. No wake-up could mean guaranteed damage to Alpha as soon as she gets up.

-- Post more soon. If you wanna play against a fairly fantastic Alpha, send me an invite. :tengu:

ErickBello

This might be Old and the updated Alpha didn't alter her matchups that much...
I might say that Ayane, Eliot and Hitomi are her best match ups by far, even if Alpha x Hitomi / Ayane is 5-5.

Now this might be a problem, but what the hell I do against the Ba ji Quan duo (Kokoro and Akira)?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD