DOA5U The Gen Fu Infinite (v.1.07)

Should it be banned?

• Yes!

Votes: 59 71.1%
  • No!

Votes: 24 28.9%

• Total voters

Requiem

A quick primer on the Gen Fu infinite (PP(delay)P-9P-PP(delay)P)

The main thing needed for the infinite to work is a stun, while the opponent is BT, that keeps the opponent in BT. From there, Gen Fu accesses all of his HCH-type stuns on a BT, which allow him to chain the PPP string into a reset; PP pushes them to the edge of threshold, and the last P is delayed to connect in between the frames where you are not able to turn around and hold or block, causing the victim to get put into another BT stun. 9P is added to extend the stun (it has a limbo stun on HCH), and to undo any work slow escaping. Thus, it becomes PP(delay)P-9P-PP(delay)P-9P, and so on.

From least abusive to most abusive, these are the ways the author knows to start the infinite:

1. Off a ceiling throw: This makes Gen Fu absurdly dangerous in ceiling stages, but is the least dangerous situation, because you have one chance out. Gen Fu runs under you when you hit the ceiling and gets the stun that way. The way the opponent is SEing changes the delay on the first 9P, so you have a single chance to get out.

2. Off a fuzzy guard/blocked negative: By fuzzy guarding a move like the high in Ayane’s 66KK4, or blocking a very unsafe move that leaves the opponent in BT like Lei’s 3P+K, Gen Fu simply can initiate off of 66P, which has the unfortunate effect in NH and CH of keeping the opponent BT.

3. Off of 236P: This happens a few ways. You can get a deep enough stun, walk in the direction that the 236P move will advance (either with something like 8 or 2), and then use it to directly stun the opponent’s back, starting the sequence from the jabs. Alternately, you can use it without a deep stun if the opponent either holds high or mid with a slight delay or low holds at any point in the stun.

It is worth noting that the last punch of PPP wall-splats; however, at that point Gen Fu can do his simple BT launch-juggle combo, and between that and the time it took to get to the wall, you are either very near dead or dead. And there has been no clear way to consistently get out of the infinite, by any character, including BT parries.

Also; Gen's jab seems to be the only one that doesn't cause the opponent to go immediately FT. This does suggest a glitch, but wouldn't be significantly deadly or exceptional except for the NH and CH stunning nature of 66P. Really, a perfect storm.

EDIT: At first, I was thinking that the nature of 66P would make this a problem that could be repeated in a different set up. This is theoretically possible, but in reality it'd likely be difficult to set up and SE dependent. Altering the jabs should be sufficient.

FURTHER EDIT: It seems possible to escape the set up by attempting to crouch dash and SE; however, at best, Gen Fu can still take off 2/3rds from the reset loop and then his combo.

Last edited:

Darth Lotonic X

I didn't know that this was a thing until now, but I imagine that it's caused by the unique properties with Gen Fu's jab on a back-turned opponent. Every other characters jab turns the opponent around, but Gen Fu's doesn't for some reason. No need to touch 66P, just make his jab behave like everyone else's.

Requiem

I didn't know that this was a thing until now, but I imagine that it's caused by the unique properties with Gen Fu's jab on a back-turned opponent. Every other characters jab turns the opponent around, but Gen Fu's doesn't for some reason. No need to touch 66P, just make his jab behave like everyone else's.
Gen's does too, except on HCH, at which point it doesn't. They could just nuke that.

EDIT: I'm changing my mind. I think that the pragmatics of setting up the kind of reset needed to make it work without the jabs would be too difficult to realistically pull off in a fight. Changing the jabs would be sufficient.

Last edited:

BlankOctober

Standard Donor
This is a very good analysis. As I don't really like infinites for anybody, the existence of this will make things even more tense in a boxing-range match with Fu. I'm gonna hate this shit, but I'll just wait and see how stupid or widespread it becomes.

SweetRevenge117

Standard Donor
What does that have to do with anything blank? You should like me more that I showed this information instead of unleashing it at TFC lol. Also id like to point out I tested it in vanilla and its the same lol...

Brute

Standard Donor
Jyakotu keep your trolling out of here.

As hilarious as this set-up may be, there are people here who actually show up to offline events and have an inkling of a clue what the game is about and how it's played offline. And these folks are trying to have a serious discussion about how those offline events are to be run for real stakes, real money, and real reputation.

So unless you're about to walk out of your front door finally and start trying to back up your words, let the actual tournament players discuss the actual tournament rules. Next bullshit post, I delete.

The rest of you, carry on.

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
Forgive me if I'm late getting caught up, as I haven't been able to warm-up my game in a while due to work obligations,

But, have we tested this with all other characters' jabs as well, and it is 100% confirmed that Gen Fu is the only one with the capacity to do this?

ninjaguy446

In Soul Calibur, Viola has an infinite off of her backthrow and it got used and abused by a player named Tokido until it got banned. I'm all for a ban since nerfing it would be iffy. If I'm going to lose to Genfu, I'd rather be outplayed and possibly improve rather than killed by an infinite and learn nothing in the process.

Last edited:

Requiem

Forgive me if I'm late getting caught up, as I haven't been able to warm-up my game in a while due to work obligations,

But, have we tested this with all other characters' jabs as well, and it is 100% confirmed that Gen Fu is the only one with the capacity to do this?
It's confirmed. At least unless I missed someone weird. Most jabs are universal in that they give the same kind of stun no matter what, which will put the opponent more immediately FT. Gen's would be more weird than anything if not for the nature of the string.

Last edited:

SilverForte

I agree with Ninja, Viola had something similar to this and that got banned to due how easy and abusable it was. This isn't marvel where infinites are allowed because they aren't easy to do and chars die off of a touch anyways.

mpgeist

Standard Donor
I'm no pro, and there's no offline or tourney scene for hundreds of miles from here, but this seems like something that shouldn't be allowed in a tourney. I feel like infinites are contrary to the spirit of competition, even if they're difficult to initiate. Just my two cents, please don't kill me.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD