VIDEO SHOWCASE:
youtube.com/watch?v=pCMitBVYmu0

TEXT GUIDE:
- Rapid Step Back input is 4141
- Rapid Step Forward input is 6363
- the quicker you execute it, the faster you'll go
- most characters can do the Forward version, very few can do the Back one
- characters who can RSB pretty fast: Brad Wong, Jann Lee, Christie, Diego
- it exists mainly in DOA5 and DOA6, but Ayane has been able to do it in DOA3 when back-turned in a similar way

- in DOA5 and DOA6, all characters that can go back-turned during "GET READY FIGHT" phase also have access to a temporarily fast BT RSB. Blessed characters are:
Code:
Ayane - 8P / 1P+K
Brad Wong - 44P
Helena - 1P+K7
Lisa - 8P

- execution tips:
1) easiest way to execute is tool-assisted (with turbo or macros)
2) second easiest way is manually on HitBox. Hold BACK forever while mashing DOWN with two or three fingers as fast as possible, as shown by the Hit Box channel
3) third easiest way is keyboard/MixBox, which is pretty much "like HitBox but worse"
?) I'm not aware of efficient ways to do it on a joypad. Maybe using both D-Pad + Analog at once? Hold BACK on the D-Pad, and gently wiggle the Analog stick DOWN in a way that it jitters the input? Just a theory.

- the partial reason this tech exists can be tracked back to a specific patch that changed the speeds of the SWITCH FRAME (STANDING/CROUCHING) significantly, which would also explain why Rapid Stepping accelerates when the opponent performs a High Strike:
Tripled crouching speed against high attacks.
Changed standing/crouching switch frame during normal status, when guarding, etc. from 5⇒3F.
However, you can guard against at low attack in 1F, and crouch against a high attack in 2F.
上段攻撃に対するしゃがみ速度を従来の3倍に変更。
通常時やガード時の立ち/しゃがみの切り替えを5⇒3Fに変更。
※ただし、下段打撃に対しては1Fでガードでき、上段打撃に対しては2Fでしゃがむことができる。

TOO LONG; DIDN'T READ LOL:
Mash 4141 with some characters. If your character can go BT at round start, do it and mash 4141.

It appears that the so called Rapid Step, an old DOA5 technique with a very short life span, has actually been virtually possible for this whole time. Thanks to the recent PC release, it has been possible to execute it again but tool-assisted this time.

It seems to be a severe exploit.
Link to the video

Last edited:

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
It appears that the so called Rapid Step, an old DOA5 technique with a very short life span, has actually been virtually possible for this whole time. Thanks to the recent PC release, it has been possible to execute it again but tool-assisted this time.

It seems to be a severe exploit.
Link to the video
I'm pretty sure that anyone with a turbo fire arcade stick could have done this. Also aren't a few characters capable of this still without a tool?

WAZAAAAA

I'm pretty sure that anyone with a turbo fire arcade stick could have done this. Also aren't a few characters capable of this still without a tool?
I think that turbo controllers typically don't allow to mash directions, but I may be wrong.

Some characters could do it manually in DOA5 (vanilla as far as I remember), the folks at Hit Box Arcade explained it in a well done video years ago: youtu.be/CFFQqkfbE20

synce

^ That's what bans are for :p

Interesting discovery though. Did you try Raidou? I think his step would be even worse than Tengu

WAZAAAAA

Interesting discovery though. Did you try Raidou? I think his step would be even worse than Tengu
Nyotengu, Bass and Raidou's speeds are all terrible, nice catch.
While attempting this on all characters, I actually wrote a quick 'n dirty "tier list" for myself, not meant to be accurate, ranking the speed of back "Rapid Steppers" from best to worst, here it is:
Code:
EXCELLENT
Brad Wong
Jann Lee
Christie
--
DECENT
Lisa
Hitomi
Pai
--
MEH
Ein
Jacky
Rachel
Phase 4
Kasumi
Hayate
Ayane
Hayabusa
Sarah
Eliot
Momiji
Honoka
--
MEHH
Rig
Kokoro
Marie Rose
--
MEHHH
Zack
Gen Fu
Alpha-152
Tina
Leifang
Akira
--
BAD
Mila
Helena
Bayman
Leon
--
TERRIBLE
Raidou
Bass
Nyotengu

31gma

What I'm mainly worried about is the possibility of giving TK an excuse to ban indiscriminately (meaning they can ban people using mods for cosmetics) I don't know how the VAC system works but I remain cautious of this

WAZAAAAA

What I'm mainly worried about is the possibility of giving TK an excuse to ban indiscriminately (meaning they can ban people using mods for cosmetics) I don't know how the VAC system works but I remain cautious of this
Macros aren't blocked by VAC, as they don't read/attach/write anything to the game memory. Also, it seems unlikely to me that DOA will make use of VAC.

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
Macros aren't blocked by VAC, as they don't read/attach/write anything to the game memory. Also, it seems unlikely to me that DOA will make use of VAC.

You can still manually report the abuser through their steam profile.

WAZAAAAA

You can still manually report the abuser through their steam profile.
I don't think that Steam can ban on non-secured games.
Also, macros are actually acceptable, some people even purchase gaming keyboards and mouses for such purpose.

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
I don't think that Steam can ban on non-secured games.
Also, macros are actually acceptable, some people even purchase gaming keyboards and mouses for such purpose.

No, they will ban the steam account but probably only temporary unless its serious or to prevent hijacking.

WAZAAAAA

Addendum: all characters that can go back-turned during R1F phase (GET READY FIGHT) also have access to a temporary, fast Back Rapid Step (input is 4141) in at least DOA5 and DOA6.

(notice how Lisa's movement stops being fast the moment the round really starts)

Off the top of my head, these are the only characters that can enter BT from the very beginning:
Ayane - 8P / 1P+K
Brad Wong - 44P
Helena - 1P+K7
Lisa - 8P

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor

Code:
EXCELLENT
Brad Wong
Jann Lee
Christie
--
DECENT
Lisa
Hitomi
Pai
--
MEH
Ein
Jacky
Rachel
Phase 4
Kasumi
Hayate
Ayane
Hayabusa
Sarah
Eliot
Momiji
Honoka
--
MEHH
Rig
Kokoro
Marie Rose
--
MEHHH
Zack
Gen Fu
Alpha-152
Tina
Leifang
Akira
--
BAD
Mila
Helena
Bayman
Leon
--
TERRIBLE
Raidou
Bass
Nyotengu

When I saw this, I was like "wait, some of these characters are way too high and a few are way too low" for backstepping.

Then I reread it again that it's the "Rapid" backstep, which doing it too fast is actually worse for some characters so the list sorta makes sense, compared to taking advantage of the max distance during KBD lol.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD