The Viper's Lunge - Rachel's Spacing

Drake Aldan

I noticed that this game will give you range measurements under "Fight Screen Info" (apparently new to DOA?) Aside from my initial joy (and feeling that things like this should be standard in all fighting games...) I figured I would use it for its purpose and quantify Rachel's range.

====

Here is the raw distance data from shortest to longest, taken from the game.

Legend:

Command Distance (in meters)

P 1.14
2K 1.22
2P 1.24
9P 1.25
6K 1.36
2H+K 1.37
7P 1.39
6P 1.42
1P 1.43
K 1.48
H+K 1.48
3K 1.49
3P 1.5
7K 1.54
P+K 1.59
4P 1.68
9K 1.68
8P 1.76
4H+K 1.78
8K 1.83
4K 1.83
214P 1.92
Rollthrough P 1.98
66P 2.09
Rollthrough K 2.15
66K 2.16
236P 2.49

====

Taking this, we can sort these moves and classify them. In practice, however, some moves have more (or less) reach than actually indicated by the game, so each move was tested as such:

CPU character in practice mode (I used Hayabusa, but any should be fine as long as the same is used for the duration of testing) is set to record and replay continually holding H. This should keep the dummy absolutely still, to prevent arbitrary distance changes.

Hold back, watching the distance counter, and move to a set distance (approximate as closely as possible). Hold H to stop idle movement. Initiate the desired attack and check if it makes contact or not, then classify it accordingly.

The best way to visualize these ranges is just to go into practice and set up this scenario yourself.

====

My findings are as follows:

No Range

These attacks will not hit when Rachel is at a distance of 2m. In essence, you'll have to be kissing your opponent to get these to connect.

P
2P
9P
K
H+K
6P
2H+K

(6P and 2H+K have the highest range out of this group, being able to hit at 1.9m, but I still would not recommend using them outside of point-blank range.)

Close Range

These attacks hit when Rachel is at a distance of 2m, and not above 2.4m. In other terms, this distance is about "one character distance" away. A somewhat helpful visualization is that this is about round start distance before anyone moves.

7P
1P
3P
P+K
4P
4H+K (Note that 4H+K looks like it has a lot of range, but in practice doesn't work well for that purpose.)

Medium Range

These attacks hit when Rachel is at a distance of 2.4m, and not above 3m. This is about two or so character distances away, just shy of a backdash from starting position.

8P
214P
Rollthrough P
Rollthrough K (hits at 2.6m)

Long Range

These attacks hit when Rachel is at a distance of 3m. This is about 1.5 backdashes away from starting position; this is Rachel's max range.

66P (CB)
236P

====

Assess your range carefully, and limit your moves to ones that are in effective range. In other words, if you find yourself whiffing, use a move from a higher range tier, or move closer.

Be very careful that you do not use a move outside of its intended range (unless you are purposely whiffing which is outside the scope of this topic)- personally, I have a bad habit of whiffing 8K attempting keepout/whiff punishing when I should be using 66K or 236P.

Hopefully this will help you connect more attacks and avoid dreaded whiffs. Happy hunting.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD