The Witcher Thread

Tyaren

Standard Donor
This thread is dedicated to CD Project Red's The Witcher RPG series, particularly it's latest iteration The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, which sold more than 10 million copies so far and ranks currently as the most awarded game in video game history.

In October 2015 the expansion Hearts of Stone was released, which added up to 15 hours more gameplay and a brand new story.

game_screenshot_13275d712b0240bd2f723c05a1554add.jpg

This June the second and sadly last expansion Blood and Wine will be released, adding over 20 hours more gameplay, a brand new story and a new gorgeous region named Toussaint:

original.png

original.png

So, who else is excited and who wants to discuss? :D

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

Oh so its confirmed that blood and wine will be the last expansion? Quality over quantity I suppose though. When looking at articles before getting the Witcher 3 I saw that one of the developers said something along the lines of "not making a sequel would be unfair to the fans" so at least a Witcher 4 is semi confirmed! :)

The graphics really have been amazing so far. Even though this one woman Keira is like in a constant state of having a nip slip but whatever! I am also liking how the weather system works so far and how people react to it.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Oh so its confirmed that blood and wine will be the last expansion? Quality over quantity I suppose though. When looking at articles before getting the Witcher 3 I saw that one of the developers said something along the lines of "not making a sequel would be unfair to the fans" so at least a Witcher 4 is semi confirmed! :)

Yes, Blood and Wine is the last expansion. The Witcher 3 also was supposed to be the last part of the series but after the overwhelming success the game received it wouldn't be just unfair to fans but also incredibly stupid. XD There's so much more money to made and rumors say the developers are eyeing a spin off about Ciri, who also played a very important part in the Witcher 3.

The graphics really have been amazing so far. Even though this one woman Keira is like in a constant state of having a nip slip but whatever! I am also liking how the weather system works so far and how people react to it.

To me the graphics are technically "just" good. (I talked about it waaay back in the graphics thread.) But it is the art style, incredible attention to detail and atmosphere that elevates the graphics even on consoles to very good and sometimes even amazing as you say. Some scenes really do take your breath away, don't they? Each time that happens I make a photo and I have at least 200 by now. XD Here just three of those:

26414856845_073f1865e2_o.png

26389849956_8b6574d2f6_o.png

26142967170_cd6f7a87da_o.png

Let's see some of yours! :D

Lol, and as usual you are racing through the game...already being with Ms. Nipslip. XD

Jadeinchains

Lol so she's notorious for it. Its so distracting talking to her when I'm just thinking Jesus Christ lady just pull your top over atleast a little bit XD. So far she seems cool though. Lol really I'm rushing through it again?! I swear it must just be in my blood because I'm doing all the secondary quests I see ( well maybe not everyone but a lot ) I feel like I'm taking my time aswell since I've not even entered Novigrad yet.

And yeah Ciri's an interesting character so far so I'd definitely be interested in further stuff with her. And yeah I was thinking when I read "would be unfair to the fans" like hmm no its because you know you have something profitable here. Still for the sake of the fans it must be good news.

PS: I'll try to take some pictures because ending thew game for today and post them here!

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Well, you have been playing all day apparently so no wonder you are already a good way in. XD Oh, you will love Novigrad! *__* When I got there I just explored it for a whole day (real life day). :) You know this video but in case someone besides us stumbles into this thread, here's a video of just exploring a tiny fraction of the city:

I'm exited to see what pics you took! :) Remember the rules have changed in the forum, one can only upload a limited amount of images directly here and hotlinking from another site is recommended. Do you have a Flickr or Imgur account? o . O

Jadeinchains

Well, you have been playing all day apparently so no wonder you are already a good way in. XD Oh, you will love Novigrad! *__* When I got there I just explored it for a whole day (real life day). :) You know this video but in case someone besides us stumbles into this thread, here's a video of just exploring a tiny fraction of the city:

I'm exited to see what pics you took! :) Remember the rules have changed in the forum, one can only upload a limited amount of images directly here and hotlinking from another site is recommended. Do you have a Flickr or Imgur account? o . O

Yeah I've posted quite a few pictures on the doax3 photography thread through photo bucket! And yeah lol when I get a games that I like I go a tiny bit overboard. It least this confirms to me that I'll be getting the expansion packs and confirms to you that it was good to recommend the game to me! :)

Its good to see CD Project Red's work first hand because since I think 2012 I've been waiting for them to finish working on Witcher 3 so that they can work on
"Cyberpunk 2077" since I'm a huge fan of cyberpunk since it isn't just basic futuristic its instead a mix of the future from an 80's perspective with its fashion etc. Think big fur coats and mohawks!

Anyway that was kind of off topic but I'm happy now that I'm also interested in the Witcher series.

PS: I'll be posting pics soon they won't be amazing but hopefully when I'm better at doing it they will be!

Edit: Here's a few of the pictures I took! They aren't great but I'm going to start making sure I take more pictures while playing.

Velen_1_zps9uogcdho.png

Velen_zpsrrf4cel6.png

Velen_2_zpscbp3f6or.png

Last edited:

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I love the game and the story especially. I've read all of the books that have been translated. Geralt is just too awesome. Haven't finished the core game because I keep getting distracted but I have the DLC and intend to buy the last content pack too.

Jadeinchains

Yeah I should probably get this game at some point, need something to relax with sometime.

I just got it today and have been instantly hooked so I'd recommend it. I'm happy I've managed to jump on the bandwagon before the final expansion is released.

I love the game and the story especially. I've read all of the books that have been translated. Geralt is just too awesome. Haven't finished the core game because I keep getting distracted but I have the DLC and intend to buy the last content pack too.

Yeah I'm liking Geralt a surprising amount since I thought he'd be just a gruff voice and that would be it but he's shown a lot of character and personality so far. That's cool that you've read the books I'm sure there must be a lot that they couldn't find a place to put in the games that would be interesting to read.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Yeah I've posted quite a few pictures on the doax3 photography thread through photo bucket! And yeah lol when I get a games that I like I go a tiny bit overboard. It least this confirms to me that I'll be getting the expansion packs and confirms to you that it was good to recommend the game to me! :)

Its good to see CD Project Red's work first hand because since I think 2012 I've been waiting for them to finish working on Witcher 3 so that they can work on
"Cyberpunk 2077" since I'm a huge fan of cyberpunk since it isn't just basic futuristic its instead a mix of the future from an 80's perspective with its fashion etc. Think big fur coats and mohawks!

Anyway that was kind of off topic but I'm happy now that I'm also interested in the Witcher series.

PS: I'll be posting pics soon they won't be amazing but hopefully when I'm better at doing it they will be!

Edit: Here's a few of the pictures I took! They aren't great but I'm going to start making sure I take more pictures while playing.

Velen_1_zps9uogcdho.png

Velen_zpsrrf4cel6.png

Velen_2_zpscbp3f6or.png

Great shots! :) I especially like the middle one! Can't you upload them a little larger though. I can't really make out any details...:/
Here another three by me:

26148863460_4869debc52_h.jpg

26421715235_aef64104b4_h.jpg

26329368282_a4de01ffd8_h.jpg

The game really is sometimes a little too beautiful for it's own good. ;) Like CyberEvil I am too often distracted. I got the Hearts of Stone expansion ran into trouble with the first boss and had to travel a little around to fetch some ingredients for potions but then I got completely lost in the game world again, just taking in the sights and doing a side quest here and there.
I really can't understand that a certain forumer on this site actually claimed The Witcher 3's world was a "whole lot of nothing" without anything to do. I call BS on that and I'm sure he hasn't even played the game. >.>

SilverForte

Is the world actually interesting in this game? I could never get into games like elder scrolls and similar wrpgs because I found it to be too generic lotr western fantasy stuff. Wrpgs in general could never hook me, what makes this game different?

Jadeinchains

Is the world actually interesting in this game? I could never get into games like elder scrolls and similar wrpgs because I found it to be too generic lotr western fantasy stuff. Wrpgs in general could never hook me, what makes this game different?

I actually worried about this before getting the game as well. And yes there is vibes of Lotr and a lot of stuff that's very similar. Despite that though there's also a lot that sets it apart so I don't think you should letvthat stop you from getting it. I'm surprised you used the elder scrolls has an example because I always considered that very unique. With deserts and cat people and the entirety of space being the rotten corpse of a god etc.

What I always considered to be the most run of the mill wrpg world was dragon ages. But yeah you'll get hints of stuff here and there since its a very European style setting and most wrpg pull from the same cultures.

PS: It actually impressed me when the wicher 3 made a reference to Baba Yaga when Keria says something like "didn't you know witches live in gingerbread houses atop chicken legs?"

SilverForte

I'll wait till I can get the game and the expansion together cheap then, got other stuff I can play anyways. Thanks.

Tyaren

Standard Donor

I would say The Witcher's world is pretty much European medieval and even less fantastical than LOTR and Elder Scrolls. There are fantasy elements, mostly in the fauna and that there is actual magic but the landscape, architecture and clothing (with just a few exceptions) are pretty much what medieval Europe looked like. But still, why would this be generic and uninteresting? There is this WRPG "Kindgom Come: Deliverance" upcoming that is basically a faithful Middle Ages simulation:

4243788a13605778fbe490d39af79e242637a12d.jpg

Many would find that unbearable apparently, just because it is so authentic? XD
I also find GTA5s world interesting as a representation of modern LA or Assassins Creed Unity and Syndicate even though they are close representations of 18th century Paris and 19th century London.
Is the relative authenticity the problem in contrast to JRPGs that sometimes go absolutely bonkers with their fantasy or sci fi worlds like Xenoblade?

WiiU_XCX_E32015_SCRN_06.jpg

(...which I too love by the way!)

If you are worried that the world of The Witcher 3 feels too samey overall you shouldn't worry at all because they are many different cultures like Central European, Scandinavian and soon Romanic European. Each with a slight fantastical twist to it and regarding the landscape you will find yourself in lush, green countryside; in deep, dark woods; in misty swamps; in coastal regions/islands; in rugged, mountainous areas; in the middle of nowhere; small villages as well as in huge, sprawling cities. I would say that all is pretty diverse and interesting. Unlike The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim where there is basically just Scandinavian culture, tundra, mountains and small towns. And even this world I find pretty interesting and unique... Maybe because it, as well as the worlds of all the other games that I have mentioned in this post, have such a great attention and love to detail and artistic excellence no matter of them being fantasy, sci fi or completely authentic in genre.

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

I don't know if I could deal wit a 100% real to life medieval setting. I need that intrigue of witch's and demons and stuff. I just really want to see toussaint right now especially when people keep mentioning it. With the elder scrolls I found the province of Skyrim dull compared to Cyrodil from oblivion.

Also I just got to that bathhouse that you posted pictures of ages ago.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I don't know if I could deal wit a 100% real to life medieval setting. I need that intrigue of witch's and demons and stuff. I just really want to see toussaint right now especially when people keep mentioning it.

What do you know... the Blood and Wine cover was actually just released (or leaked?)! :D

YMC7TiX.jpg

19ht7iH.jpg

With the elder scrolls I found the province of Skyrim dull compared to Cyrodil from oblivion.
See, that is weird. Oblivion's world was for example infamous for it's dull, repeating world design. Most of what you see is actually just computer generated. In Skyrim however every tree, every stone, every bush was carefully placed by hand. So it really is more the genre than the artistic vision that makes or doesn't make a world interesting to you guys?

Also I just got to that bathhouse that you posted pictures of ages ago.
Maaan, you are fast. >__< There wasn't really any point in starting the game again to play alongside you. XD I just met Yennefer in Vizima.

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

What do you know... the Blood and Wine cover was actually just released (or leaked?)! :D

YMC7TiX.jpg

19ht7iH.jpg

See, that is weird. Oblivion's world was for example infamous for it's dull, repeating world design. Most of what you see is actually just computer generated. In Skyrim however every tree, every stone, every bush was carefully placed by hand. So it really is more the genre than the artistic vision that makes or doesn't make a world interesting to you guys?

Maaan, you are fast. >__< There wasn't really any point in starting the game again to play alongside you. XD I just met Yennefer in Vizima.

Cool cover, sure is convenient this thread was just opened. Also yeah I can't help but play through games fast it seems, even when I try to play through it slowly.

And yeah Skyrim is without a doubt more beautiful art and graphic wise I just got sick of so much snow. That's why I was happy when that dlc came out that let you go to an island of the coast of Morrowind.

SilverForte

Ive got nothing against western fantasy, I just dont like it much. Why? I dunno, just how I feel. I will say that I prefer a more stylized aspect to a game, and more flash. I guess its why I like jrpgs more. You cant do stuff like summoning bahamut zero in wrpgs. I also play rpgs primarily for gameplay and music, not really for story either. Like I said though, I will give the game a try.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Lol, I can see Jadeinchains on PSN practically playing The Witcher 3 24/7. Seen the ending credits yet? ;)

Some more of my pics:

26447049495_072c5f717f_h.jpg

(Found a secret cave in the woods. D: )

26174248150_b5c418bade_h.jpg

(Was probably a bit hot in that armor in the middle of the desert. XD)

26447069505_25edb53839_h.jpg

(All you see you can travel to... O: )

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

Lol, I can see Jadeinchains practically playing The Witcher 3 24/7. Seen the ending credits yet? ;)

Some more of my pics:

26447049495_072c5f717f_h.jpg

(Found a secret cave in the woods. D: )

26174248150_b5c418bade_h.jpg

(Was probably a bit hot in that armor in the middle of the desert. XD)

26447069505_25edb53839_h.jpg

(All you see you can travel to... O: )

XD Lol I wouldnt be surprised if I complete the main story today. I should be a speed runner. I haven't seen a desert yet so I'll be excited for getting there.

I'll also be posting some pictures later since I've been making sure to take some while I play!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD