This game was a real treasure.

True

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NightAntilli

Half-circular & Quarter--circle moves are in the game - they are typically the moves that can be free-step dodged
:D:D:D:D:D:DNo clue what I was talking about.

Just for context for anyone else reading this, in VF there are full circular moves and half circular moves, the former not being sidestepable and the latter are only sidestepable in one direction, and depending on the stance, you have to sidestep in one direction or in the other. The stance you are in therefore constantly influences the gameplay, because with your stance you can influence your opponent into sidestepping in one direction to put them in a corner, or get hit if they try to go the other way. Stance also can influence the stagger type, the juggles that will connect, and even frames.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
So explain to me the match-up between Bass & Christie on Aircraft Carrier & than explain to me the match-up on Home

It's the same shitty matchup for Bass in both cases. Except that if the Christie is a lower skill level than Bass on Home then Bass will get more opportunity to make use of the environmental advantage to help him end the match faster. However, assuming the players are of equal skill then it's still at best a 6-4 matchup and at worst a 7-3 matchup in favor of Christie in both stages.

I think my explanation regarding the SS in VF is a lot simpler to understand

FSD outside of 3.1 is only able to sidestep air attacks, this is the same in DOA4 as it is in DOA5. It's been a while since I've bothered to play DOA4 though, I'd expect from my memory that there are even less air attacks you can free step in DOA4 when comparing those same attacks in DOA5. However, I do not care to boot the game up and verify that hypothesis. The command Side Step in DOA5 will be invulnerable to any attacks not designated as "Linear" in its first 18 frames of animation.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
First and only warning I'm going to give in regards to personal attacks. Whether foul language is being used or not, don't be petty. That will not be tolerated here.

Otherwise, feel free to continue the discussion.

Raansu

There's no such thing as fair in any competitive game, period, end of story. You either have the skill to overcome your opponent or you don't. No amount of bracket fixing is going to save you from the steam roll that you'll receive later on as the better players advance through the brackets.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Gambling is fair provided the odds are even, but the odds almost never are and there are other factors in play in regards to fighting games such as knowledge and reaction time which have nothing to do with odds. As much as possible, players would prefer they are allowed to choose options that decide their own odds of success and payout.

As far as stages go, I've always been in favor of revamping how we do stages in tournament play. Community decides on several neutral stages to start with that get put on the random filter for the first match, then the loser picks the next stage. Fair.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I wouldn't ban any stages aside from Dojo. Infinite drop stages may well favor some characters who are knockback oriented, but that's exactly the point of counter-picks. Just as Lorelei may well favor karate types and lancers.

Dojo just happens to break certain matchups if certain movement options are actually used, rare as they are. It wasn't intended to be a real stage anyway. Danger Zone would've been a subject for debate due to how much it changes the game, but that debate happened and ultimately the community decided to keep it.

The only other time I would ban a stage is if they were proven to be glitchy in some manner and worked against the players more than for them, akin to Experimental Playground in 4.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
More of this Awesmic and less of the "victim" Awesmic please! :thumbs up:
Thanks for the encouragement.

I cant help but feel like my post is being overlooked in the actual discussion after all this time. I was waiting for some kind of feedback or rebuttal of some kind to those issues I mentioned.

Shirataki Tsume

You're doing fine. Don't.

I got oppressed for liking DOA4 not too long ago when I tried to make a joke of a rebalanced edition of DOA4. I took a break from the site for about a week and a half because things came out negatively.

Raansu

You're doing fine. Don't.

I got oppressed for liking DOA4 not too long ago when I tried to make a joke of a rebalanced edition of DOA4. I took a break from the site for about a week and a half because things came out negatively.

No one cares if you like doa4. It was a fun game, it just wasn't a good fighting game, and many of us don't want to see future DoA's go back to such a shallow game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD