System Timing of combo throws

WAZAAAAA

Here are some tips to help you improve the timing of your combo throws/holds. They apply to both the escapable and inescapable ones.
This is how the first 6 frames of a "combo throw/hold followup window" look like when viewed frame by frame:
2nQ9NCu.gif

3Ot4V6c.gif

To connect or break a combo hold/throw as soon as possible, you have to input the last command 2 frames before the blue or green text shows up. Keep in mind that 2 frames is a very short time, so don't overcompensate. Be careful to not input too soon, as you may get punished hard for it (read the last note for more information).

NOTES:
- the timing shown in the pictures doesn't apply to combo throws that have no startup animation (such as Tina's 6KT or Hayabusa's Shoho-Izuna). They are not accurately "synchronized" with the text.
- during an escapable combo throw/hold, if both players do a followup input on the same frame, the throw breaks. This also applies when the two players input the followup EVEN BEFORE the throw escape window!
- in Free Training mode, the option "THROW ESCAPE: FASTEST" will actually make the COM break your combo throws/holds at the 2nd frame instead of the 1st possible one. This is actually a good option to have, as it allows you to train your frame-perfect timing.
- internally, the actual followup window starts when the blue/green text shows up, but because of DOA's input delay, you press buttons earlier.
- if you press a button during the 1X frames (number seems to vary) that precede the first "combo throw active frame", you'll receive a "penalty" and you'll have to wait 20 frames before doing another attempt (usually more since it's unlikely that you will get the next input on the 21st frame). This system prevents button mashing (but you can still mash directions).

My personal method of breaking throws is this: I try to be precise with the first T button press and then mash it... so if we both pressed too early and received the delay "penalty" (which not too uncommon), at least I'll break it when the penalty is over.

Last edited:

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
- during an escapable combo throw/hold, if both players do a followup input on the same frame, the throw breaks.

Everything we've previously tested, as well as word straight from Shimbori himself has stated the exact opposite is the case. The aggressor is supposed to have the advantage on a same frame input in DOA 5. In 4 it was the other way around.

Have you done some kind of testing that has given different results?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Everything we've previously tested, as well as word straight from Shimbori himself has stated the exact opposite is the case. The aggressor is supposed to have the advantage on a same frame input in DOA 5. In 4 it was the other way around.

Start at 2:21
Have a nice day

he uses a frame by frame input mod to test. his testing nethod is pretty legit. That said, with his findings I've asked Team NINJA to verify. Its my hypothesis that it became a bug somewhere during 5 and we just didn't know it.

WAZAAAAA

Wait.... whats this about On Hit Moves ?
- the timing shown in the pictures doesn't apply to combo throws that have no startup animation (such as Tina's 6KT or Hayabusa's Shoho-Izuna). They are not accurately "synchronized" with the text.

I have tested it frame by frame with Mila's 66T and several other combo throws, using two controllers. When I input both the followup commands on frame 59 (which is the 1st possible "combo throw active frame" in Mila's case, pictured in the above GIF as "1"), the throw breaks. Same behavior for any other frame too.

Maybe things have changed after DOA5 vanilla.

Start at 2:21
Have a nice day
It's a great video but 5:06 ~ 5:49 is false.

NightAntilli

Nice in theory... But in practice, you'll have to take the input lag of your screen into account. This will skew the timing, meaning you'll have to input it slightly earlier to make sure you get the correct frame... And the screen input lag is not a constant either. Depending on the shade and colors, it can vary... So if you perfect your timing on one screen at home, when you go to a tournament you suddenly find yourself not being on point, simply because the screen input lag is different...

KING JAIMY

Assuming that there's no monitor/tv screen lag, how about the timing of complex inescapable combo throws, such as Hayate's Raijin? (:426::H+P::5::6::4::8::2::H+P::5::9::1::7::3::H+P:).

The timing seems a bit weird for me there. So my questions, specifically about the third part of the combo throw:

- Do I start inputting the directions way before COMBO THROW pops up or slightly before it pops up?

- Is there a certain interval/window in which the directions have to be inputted one after another? It seems like all four directions have to be inputted with the same amount of frames between each other, but I'm not entirely sure.

- Do I start inputting the :H+P: command in synchrony with the last direction (so the input basically becomes :3::H+P:) or apart from each other (:3::~::H+P:).

- How many ''dirty'' (= wrong) inputs is a player allowed to make in a certain part an inescapable combo throw?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
- Do I start inputting the directions way before COMBO THROW pops up or slightly before it pops up?

- Do I start inputting the :H+P: command in synchrony with the last direction (so the input basically becomes :3::H+P:) or apart from each other (:3::~::H+P:).

That varies per combo throw.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Very interesting then. I'm all the more glad for having +3 when my stuff gets broken.

I'd like to know when this changed exactly. Or if it was even intentional. Hope we can get some answers.

Rich Nixon

Standard Donor
So the defender has priority over the aggressor in a combo throw? Another reason for me not to use manhattan driver and 236+T.

CatzDaLegit

Tina Purist
Premium Donor
Using gifs was a good idea for explaining this. I was going to do it with a video, but this is the information I was talking about earlier in my interview.

NightAntilli

Very interesting then. I'm all the more glad for having +3 when my stuff gets broken.

I'd like to know when this changed exactly. Or if it was even intentional. Hope we can get some answers.
Ugh... DOA; always with its little annoyances that make no sense.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
It's a great video but 5:06 ~ 5:49 is false.

Then it must have changed ..
Cuz I remember testing this stuff out with Matt on the beta as well as vanilla ..
it was true in the beta then it was lost in vanilla
Need to test again to verify..

or maybe the fix they had from beta to vanilla was to shift the breaking frame to the 2nd to give the illusion that you're doing it at the same frame on fastest ...
... hmm

Last edited:

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Well according to WAZAAAAA's information training mode could have been lying to us since forever. It's hard to be certain just how far back this goes. Could've been at some point during vanilla, or when ultimate released, when LR released, or any of the minor/major patches inbetween.

Given that we've always been told by Team Ninja it was the other way around I wouldn't even be surprised if this was unintentional.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
Well according to WAZAAAAA's information training mode could have been lying to us since forever. It's hard to be certain just how far back this goes. Could've been at some point during vanilla, or when ultimate released, when LR released, or any of the minor/major patches inbetween.

Given that we've always been told by Team Ninja it was the other way around I wouldn't even be surprised if this was unintentional.

I'm not surprized..
You know how it is .. they fix one damn bug and then they bring back an old one..

Lulu

I'm Glad Mila is at +0 when her Mounts get Broken. It's highly favourable for her because shes the Fastest and the best Poker out of all the Grapplers. Fast Fists and Long Legs. ;)

Honestly I wish Tina was the same.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD