System Timing of combo throws

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
You could be any character in the game (except Bayman and Mila) with combo throws and be at minus when an opponent escapes your combo throw.

My main issue is with the lack of priority on the thrower 's button input over the throwee. This is obviously an unintended bug, so it'll hopefully get fixed in the future.

WAZAAAAA

Nice in theory... But in practice, you'll have to take the input lag of your screen into account. This will skew the timing, meaning you'll have to input it slightly earlier to make sure you get the correct frame... And the screen input lag is not a constant either. Depending on the shade and colors, it can vary... So if you perfect your timing on one screen at home, when you go to a tournament you suddenly find yourself not being on point, simply because the screen input lag is different...
Daigo Umehara trains with different hardware according to the tournament he's going to enter. If it's on PS3, he plays on PS3, if it's on arcade he uses a cabinet etc. I heard it in an interview, just saying.

Assuming that there's no monitor/tv screen lag, how about the timing of complex inescapable combo throws, such as Hayate's Raijin? (:426::H+P::5::6::4::8::2::H+P::5::9::1::7::3::H+P:).

The timing seems a bit weird for me there. So my questions, specifically about the third part of the combo throw:

- Do I start inputting the directions way before COMBO THROW pops up or slightly before it pops up?

- Is there a certain interval/window in which the directions have to be inputted one after another? It seems like all four directions have to be inputted with the same amount of frames between each other, but I'm not entirely sure.

- Do I start inputting the :H+P: command in synchrony with the last direction (so the input basically becomes :3::H+P:) or apart from each other (:3::~::H+P:).

- How many ''dirty'' (= wrong) inputs is a player allowed to make in a certain part an inescapable combo throw?
If this is of any help:
A while ago I've tried creating a 360 macro (speed is like 12/13 full 360 counterclockwise motions in 1 second). Not only it was useful for stagger escaping, but for various combo throws too.
What successfully connected using the macro for directions and pressing T manually:
- Raidou's super hard throw both sides
- every Hayabusa Izuna throw/hold both sides
- Tina's 46T could followup RIGHT SIDE
- Lisa's 41236T both sides
- Bass' fully charged 41236T both sides
- Lisa's 214T both sides but not consistently?

What failed to connect:
- Tina's 46T LEFT SIDE
- Hayate's Raijin stuff

What worked with pauses:
- Bayman's 214T was pretty weird. The followup only worked if I did a "pause" before the last part
- Same for Leifang's 236T first followup

TL;DR
i dunno lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My main issue is with the lack of priority on the thrower 's button input over the throwee. This is obviously an unintended bug, so it'll hopefully get fixed in the future.
Escapable throws that become inescapable when done frame perfect? Is that what you guys really want? Isn'it it sort of a... lame mechanic? Maybe I'm missing something.

WAZAAAAA

I dunno, managing something difficult should be rewarding rather than punishing.
But you know, the point of a doing a combo throw is that you decide to take the risk of getting your throw completely interrupted in order to deal higher damage, and this frame perfect thing mechanic would bypass this...
I'm just saying, grappling characters are not my thing so you may know better anwyay.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I dunno, managing something difficult should be rewarding rather than punishing.
But you know, the point of a doing a combo throw is that you decide to take the risk of getting your throw completely interrupted in order to deal higher damage, and this frame perfect thing mechanic would bypass this...
I'm just saying, grappling characters are not my thing so you may know better anwyay.
It's already a risk to attempt to throw due to attacks beating throws out right. I feel like why even bother for a combo throw if my opponent can escape it every time by getting a just frame perfect timing.

Different from being thrown and worried that the thrower can guarantee the throw extension, maybe I'll get lucky and escape by them mistiming by a frame, much like being combo'd by attacks.

Last edited:

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I don't know about you but I don't wish to take it up the ass for having my execution down no matter what character I'm using.

NightAntilli

Daigo Umehara trains with different hardware according to the tournament he's going to enter. If it's on PS3, he plays on PS3, if it's on arcade he uses a cabinet etc. I heard it in an interview, just saying.
Your argument makes sense for the cabinet, but not for the platform. It's more dependent on the tv/monitor than on which console.

WAZAAAAA

I don't know about you but I don't wish to take it up the ass for having my execution down no matter what character I'm using.
Well the same argument may apply to the defender too, he was so godlike to defend on frame 1 from a throw coming from a character that he doesn't even play and wants his throw to be broken.

Your argument makes sense for the cabinet, but not for the platform. It's more dependent on the tv/monitor than on which console.
Well the console makes a difference too, especially when compared to PC which can usually disable V-sync. Here's USF4 measurements: http://www.displaylag.com/reduce-input-lag-in-pc-games-the-definitive-guide/

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Well the same argument may apply to the defender too, he was so godlike to defend on frame 1 from a throw coming from a character that he doesn't even play and wants his throw to be broken.
If I took the risk of throwing then I expect as the person initiating the offense and landing it to be at an advantage over the defending the player not the other way around.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor

It's the danger of being thrown. If I'm put into the combo throw and lose to someone using perfect timing I'm just like "Good shit, you're on point". It isn't easy to do. But the pressure advantage is should be on the side of the one who landed the throw. They're the one who took the risk of throwing and doing a combo throw throw to begin with, they shouldn't be penalized or put at a disadvantageous situation for it. The one who was thrown should be at a disadvantageous situation and should be praying to their god (if applicable) that their opponent is off by one frame.

Lulu

It's the danger of being thrown. If I'm put into the combo throw and lose to someone using perfect timing I'm just like "Good shit, you're on point". It isn't easy to do. But the pressure advantage is should be on the side of the one who landed the throw. They're the one who took the risk of throwing and doing a combo throw throw to begin with, they shouldn't be penalized or put at a disadvantageous situation for it. The one who was thrown should be at a disadvantageous situation and should be praying to their god (if applicable) that their opponent is off by one frame.

I Second this motion

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Is it me or was the timing different in older games? I feel like you had to input on frames 3 and 4, where the text is still partially transparent (that's how I trained myself back in the day). Would explain why I can't break anything in DOA5. Or I'm making excuses. The point is, I'm not sure which. I love how much more technical a PC version of the game has allowed the game to be and I hope every DOA has a PC version day-one going forward (and that @WAZAAAAA still cares to document this stuff :)).

Last edited:

WAZAAAAA

Is it me or was the timing different in older games? I feel like you had to input on frames 3 and 4, where the text is still partially transparent (that's how I trained myself back in the day). Would explain why I can't break anything in DOA5. Or I'm making excuses. The point is, I'm not sure which. I love how much more technical a PC version of the game has allowed the game to be and I hope every DOA has a PC version day-one going forward (and that @WAZAAAAA still cares to document this stuff :)).
I would be counting PC DOA2U's frames right now if only it was identical to the Xbox DOA2U, but it isn't. The "COMBO THROW" text itself is translated to Chinese lol.

WAZAAAAA

- in Free Training mode, the option "THROW ESCAPE: FASTEST" will actually make the COM break your combo throws/holds at the 2nd frame instead of the 1st possible one. This is actually a good option to have, as it allows you to train your frame-perfect timing.
This is indeed intended behavior as documented in an old changelog
Change throw escape behavior in Training Mode. Before, COM throw escapes would always succeed, regardless of player input timing, if the Throw Escapes setting was set to fastest. This has been changed to allow COM throw escapes to fail if the player inputs a command with perfect timing.
トレーニングモードで、「COMのオプション」の「投げ抜け」を「最速」にした場合、プレイヤーのコンボスロー入力タイミングに関わらず必ず投げ抜けに成功していた処理を、プレイヤーが完璧なタイミングで入力した場合は投げ抜け失敗するように修正。

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD