Tina Matchup Thread

ProvesaDark

I made this thread specifically for helping people get to know matchups vs all of the characters in the game. I know a lot of players out there are like me. They go up against some characters in this game and have no idea what to do besides fight for their lives.

If anyone have knowledge for defeating or at least using a good strategy against other characters in the DoA5 roster, will be most appreciated :)

Here's a list of characters I have a problem with so far.
Christie
Kokoro
Leifang
Bass & Bayman (although I haven't seen many online)
Hitomi
Lisa

TRI Mike

I was about to open a thread for this. In my personal experience, I seem to be doing quite fine against most character. Online I get trouble against Hayate and Lisa because I seem to get confused and have no idea wtf they're doing, especially the lady but the match-ups I'm finding the most difficult are definitely Bass and Bayman. I literally have no idea how to beat the two heavy fuckers.

First, Bass. Any competent Bass player in DOA5 will try to knock you down as many times as possible to pick you up and be in frame advantage the entire round. That's fine, but what can Tina do against that¿ While she's faster than the average grappler, she's not fast enough to be able to rush Bass down. Bass' 1P, 6KP, 6KK, 33P and the like completely destroy Tina and if he plays defensively and blocks too much, her only options are to try and do normal throws which aren't very damaging (we have to remember Tina's throws are incredible... in CH and HCH) or try to slam and ground throw which also doesn't deal much damage. Another thing is that she has some problems stunning on NH (while whiff punishing) so putting Bass in stun situation seems to be hard for her.

In Bayman's case, his fucking 13 frame punch, 1PP and 2KK are incredibly hard to deal with to me. Those moves are excellent to start offensive with Bayman and Tina simply lacks options like those. The Bayman players I usually fight (which is the same as Bass) blocks a fucking whole lot and tends to not hold very much while in stun. The problem is starting the stun with Tina in NH or breaking that defense. Tina lacks good lows like Busa's 1PK or Helena's 1PPK to stun and put the opponent into a hold-or-slow escape situation.

Tina for me seems to do just fine against everyone but against other grapplers I find a lot of difficulty.

ProvesaDark

I have the most problems with grapplers as well. I don't see many Bass and Bayman players but the good ones I player destroy me. I run into tons of Lisa players though. She gives me the most problems I must say.

Doa_Eater

I have no problem against Bass and Bayman players,(even against Mr. Wah and stevo plays Bayman a bit) she greatly beats them in movement and i've lost count how many shining wizards they have eaten from me. I know their combos and guard them, bass is easier as his combos are two hits. Mike you've seen me play, i play exactly the same against Bass and Bayman.

If i'm rushed by a faster character ala Kasumi low hold and 1p gets me out most of the time. 6ppk and giant swing after cb against lightweights and they're mostly done.

shinryu

The runaway characters (Lisa, Kasumi, Ayane) I really hate online, it's such a bastard to try to get in their face and they can just hammer out strings that should be punishable but of course aren't. Helena is a similar story. Someone suggested more qcf+p to get in and I can't argue with that but I need to try it out. Turns out my joystick has a known issue with not hitting diagonals though so I'm not going to be online til my JLF shows up and I swap it out, so I can't say if that's good or bad advice. Not worth playing not being able to hold high against mashers; I've been losing to some embarrassing shit between the stick issue and the lag. Online in general tilts the playing field against grapplers, as the tradeoff for being faster in the striking game for most characters is having to be more careful about leaving themselves open to the big throw punishes of the grapplers. That is so much harder online, so it's a hold game defensively. Tina's not bad at that (oh, do mid kick me, please?), but she's sure not Bayman.

My general strategy against anyone is to stay as far back as I can safely land 6f+k or 46p and 46f+p, and try to get a knockdown somehow (typically 6f+k into ground throw) or start a combo with CH 3k/hold 3p or 44p, rarely 1k. Crouch dash to JO cyclone can catch them napping sometimes, and you can pressure with 46p or 7k guard breaks if they really turtle up. She needs to stay in that sweet spot where she can threaten effectively but isn't going to just get jabbed out of everything. Once you've got the knockdown your shitty speed in the striking game is mitigated somewhat, it's a lot easier to pressure a teching opponent. Or you pray they're dumb enough to rising kick and either block and throw the low rising kick or advanced mid kick hold the mid rising kick to get backturned into possible death. You don't want to rising kick Tina, well, ever. I don't think this really changes against a grappler much other than you can afford to close in and pressure a little more. Defensively, I would say block and punish but that never works very well at least online. While I hate to fall back on 1p I have to admit 1p to a mid/JO cyclone mixup can be damned effective. Also, 46p ducks highs basically instantly, so if they're coming in with high strings you can pick them out of that. Also works if you're in their face and you see a jab coming.

As far as starting stun on NH, Tina's actually got some decent options, they just tend to be slower/unsafe. Fastest is 4k at 14 frames, but it's not only throw unsafe but back throw unsafe. You might be able to get out of it if they get greedy (it's only -7) but if they're smart you're going to take damage on block. 9p is the next best option, it has followups and I believe it tracks but of course hits high and is 15 frames. Can't see 9k being useful unless it tech jumps? 44p is good, tech crouches, is technically unsafe, but has good followups so it's a little less likely they'll just bust out the throw on reaction. Of course there's 6k and 66k, but they are pretty slow.

Don't forget you've got some good options to force a normal throw (and if you're going for a throw naked you might as well go for 41236f+p or something nasty). pp gives you the threat of the k followup, pk or k gives you the threat of the p followup. Don't discount the damage you can get from a simple pkk or kk, either; if it goes right you can get close to 90 damage, and that ain't nothin; the opponent has to respect the p follow up as well due to possible limbo stun, so getting cute with ducking and low holds isn't necessarily the best idea. 3k and hold 3p both have solid mid followups. Also, 3k is totally safe and hold 3p is a 12 frame mid that ducks highs, that helps a lot. I've been trying to incorporate more crouch dashing to set that up in my game, also since that sets up JO cyclone/MDT; you can do a quick tap of f to guarantee you get hold 3p or 3k rather than 33p or 33k instead. Properly spaced, 66pp is a natural combo even on block, so you may be able to exploit people trying to hold the second p and getting delayed into a hi counter throw, I haven't played with this enough.

Inside stun, the stuns from hold 3p/BT 4p, 6p+k, and BT 7k / 66k give you relatively safe throw opportunities even if you whiff, and at least BT 7k/66k will give you a ground throw if the opponent doesn't tech when they fall down. They'll stay standing if they hold. But you know what to do then. There's of course the classic Bayman tactic of timing OHs to hit right out of stun recovery. I think that might work well with the power blow available as you may be able to mix up 1p+k and 46f+p; the charging animations are similar enough that it's not a horrible mixup, and the two moves have different timings so you may mess up hold/low throw attempts if you vary the charge. It's not even a bad tactic without the power blow. But a +17 guard break or 80 damage is a much better result.

If they're guarding, Tina's got some guard breaks to go around. Properly spacing 46p is probably her best one against Bayman and Bass, since she's as fast or faster than they are; even if you're blocked at +0, you're not at disadvantage, and at +2 you should be able to 6p freely. Against a faster character you may be forced to try to trade jab with mid or tech a jab with 1p, 3p or 46f+p even at +2. There's always sidestepping too. On hit you can get free ground throw if you run up and they don't tech or have a shining wizard/whatever mid mixup if they do. Same idea with 3p+k or 66p+k, though the latter is much harder to space appropriately and you might end up at -2. 7k is the best guard break against anybody, as you should be able to use 46p, 44p, or 6f+k freely, or use 66f+p to beat any high/mid attack. 7k is slow but surprisingly good against turtles. 1k is not technically a guard break, but on even NH unless they are god of stagger escape you should be at least at +3 and crouching, so hold 3p should beat anything and JO cyclone is on tap; sucks to be blocked, of course. And of course the power blow is the best possible guard break. Tina has a better option to throw it out naked than most given 46f+p as I mentioned earlier.

i really hate hitomi now! cuz when she is near she beat me also when she space with me like hit & run style i lose badly against her... any tips??

Dravidian

i really hate hitomi now! cuz when she is near she beat me also when she space with me like hit & run style i lose badly against her... any tips??
Well I cant really help that much, but the people who can will need more information than that. What moves is she using when up close? What moves are you using? How are you both approaching each other. They'll need info like that and probably more.

oh okay check this one:
like in 2:26 , 7:50 , 11:15 , 12:43
i know this a tag fight but this one was record it, but i play with hitomi signal matches!

it turn around when she is near to me her moves beat me!
also he stop throwing a random counters which was helping me to punish his throw counters!

when i fall on the ground e do 2 things:
1-wait me for to whiff and he punish me with qfc p
2-he use the running knee kick that u see it in the video

and there was a round that a beat him by only counters his moves... but when i try to attack i get myself owned...
i really don't know the match up against hit & run hitomi style...
i really need your help guys to improve my play style, feel free to say anything related to my playing style
& thanks for your support. ^^

Doa_Eater

I see u are a bit inpatient with guarding so in that regard i'd suggest using 1p, it's fast and crushes high, then from there go with what you like. And almost everything Hitomi does here is throw punishable.

aha i will try improve my deviance, but u give me a new topic!!
can u plz if u don't mind explain about throw punishable with example!?
and thanks for help ^^

Doa_Eater

Just use a throw after a successful combo guard. Throw punishment is when the opponent cannot react fast enough after finishing the combo. And Tina has a fast neutral throw and in most cases back and throw button is fine.

Optimusprime169

Tina's challenge varies online to offline for me. Online, hands down, my vote goes to Lisa. This is not because Lisa is a better character; instead, her online confusion in latency is aggravating. This is partially due to them both being similar fighters, who are looking for the same window of opportunity. But even worst, Lisa appears safer and more confusing in latency. Tina is a defensive character, so online Lisa appears better. Offline Lisa is easier to defend against, punish, and counter, which are game changers. A competent Tina player is someone that has solid defense and extensive knowledge of the games mechanics. However, online defense is handicapped. Tina is definitely not a button masher for any skill level.

My view:
Online = Confusing or fast characters are beast (Lisa)

Offline = Range and Defense are keen (Tina)

Gruff757

Standard Donor
Tina's challenge varies online to offline for me. Online, hands down, my vote goes to Lisa. This is not because Lisa is a better character; instead, her online confusion in latency is aggravating. This is partially due to them both being similar fighters, who are looking for the same window of opportunity. But even worst, Lisa appears safer and more confusing in latency. Tina is a defensive character, so online Lisa appears better. Offline Lisa is easier to defend against, punish, and counter, which are game changers. A competent Tina player is someone that has solid defense and extensive knowledge of the games mechanics. However, online defense is handicapped. Tina is definitely not a button masher for any skill level.

My view:
Online = Confusing or fast characters are beast (Lisa)

Offline = Range and Defense are keen (Tina)

thats weird cause I have a hard time fighting Tina in general. You sure its that bad online in this matchup, although I'm pretty sure online shouldn't even be brought up in a matchups discussion.

Optimusprime169

thats weird cause I have a hard time fighting Tina in general. You sure its that bad online in this matchup, although I'm pretty sure online shouldn't even be brought up in a matchups discussion.

Your mindset is a major issue in the DOA community. Regardless of the fact that online play can never be taken seriously in the offline tournament world due to latency. There are a huge number of online players, which comprise a massive amount of the games sales and community. Alienating comments solely to offline play drives players away from the game. In reality, if only offline players bought the game, DOA would have failed a long time ago. Therefore, I speak to both the online and offline subset communities in comments.

Gruff757

Standard Donor
Your mindset is a major issue in the DOA community. Regardless of the fact that online play can never be taken seriously in the offline tournament world due to latency. There are a huge number of online players, which comprise a massive amount of the games sales and community. Alienating comments solely to offline play drives players away from the game. In reality, if only offline players bought the game, DOA would have failed a long time ago. Therefore, I speak to both the online and offline subset communities in comments.
but the thing is, anyone can be threat for anyone online, so i mean, latency can go both ways you know?

Gruff757

Standard Donor
This is true. My only point is that slower and more straight forward characters that rely more on defensive strategies are gimped even more online.
well lisa isnt exactly the fastest rabbit in the bunch herself ya know? tina is actually a bit faster than her lol

ailingeternity

vs Lisa you have to remember a few things;

Her pro's
  • She can CB from front facing and back turned stance
  • 9k on hit always guarantees a launch combo
  • 1p is a good ranged tracking, high crush and is the basis for her CH hunting
  • Great throw punishing (Deja Vu, 6f+p)
  • Her bt p+k is +15 on block and very rewarding for her if it lands
  • Does not need CB to get damage
  • Very good juggle damage
  • Really good Offensive Holds (8f+p, 3f+p . f+p)
Her con's
  • Faster characters with good range obliterate her (Ayane, Jann Lee)
  • Relies on Mid and high strings, very few low variants to start mixup
  • Carrera can be a slight defensive zoning tool but ultimately it offers poor pressure
  • Can be slow escaped out of so many combos
  • Throw punishing is a very good tactic against her
In regards to what Tina can do you'll want to look to punish a lot of her mistakes and wait until she moves in close. Lisa's 4f+k can be whiff punished and punished on block by 6f+k. Lisa's flop stun (4pkk, 6kk, bt4k) can be throw punished on block by 6f+p and qcf p which is a good string interrupter can even be punished by crouching 64f+p if you're quick enough.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD