DOA5U Tips and tricks for Jacky

KING JAIMY

Hey,
First of all I appreciate it wholeheartedly if anyone takes the time to read this. I also welcome constructive and/or positive feedback with open arms. :)

Now, I started using Jacky extensively since he was playable on 5U and I would like to share some tips and tricks:

- The third kick of 4KKK is a launcher when your opponent has their back to the wall. Sample combo: 6P+K, 6P, 4KKK, Flash Sword Kick, P+KP, 1P+KPP.

- Jacky has two hidden moves. They are BT 3P+K and BT 9P+K. He needs to face a wall though. BT 3P+K gives a feint stun which you can follow up with P+KP, 1P+KPK. However, I have not found a use for BT 9P+K yet. These two moves look really stylish but are VERY situational. Use with caution.

- If you are having trouble doing Flash Sword Kicks, I can give you these tips:

1) Learn how to use it as a raw move first.
TIPS!
* React visually: If he is about to stretch his leg after [6]K, tap H.
* React auditorily: The time to tap H must come right before the sound effect.
* Get it in muscle memory: Practice makes perfect! Try to set a goal each day. For example: I was satisfied if I could do FSK 10% of the time on day one. On day two I would be satisfied with 15% correct FSK's. Each day you'll improve if you keep doing this. Remember, never give up no matter what!
* Don't play online: If you really want to nail that flash sword kick, don't try it online with Jacky as it interferes with the offline timing for most people.

2) Apply the FSK in combos, but alternate between the FSK and other moves. For most people I know it's hard to land consecutive Flash Sword Kicks because of the strict timing and swiftness you have to perform it.

For example, you can practice it with:

6P+K - 44P - BT P+K - [2]3P - FSK - 4H+K - FSK - 4H+K - FSK - 66K or [2]K.

See how each Flash Sword Kick alternates with 4H+K? This gives you some breathing room to prepare your brain for another FSK.
Sidenote: 6P+K - 44P - BT P+K is not slow-escapable and also wonderful if you would like to go for CB!

3) Practice consecutive FSK in combos. This brings me to the subject of Jacky's best CB Combo:
CB - Free step left or right - 4H+K - Flash sword kick (x3) - 4H+K - 4H+K - Dash 7K.

You can also practice consecutive FSK combos with these set-ups:
- Power Launcher - [6]P (whiff) - Flash Sword Kick (x4) - 4H+K - 4H+K - Dash 7K
- CB (Opponent has back towards wall) - 8P+KP (x2) - Flash Sword Kick (x3) - PP6PK (lightweights) / 7K or 1P+KK (middleweights +).

Mastering this move is crucial for getting the most out of Jacky. However, since his BnB combos are really damaging as well, it isn't fully required to win matches with Jacky.

- As for timing his command grabs (3P+KT and Slide Shuffle 33KT), reacting on sound or vision works out better for me than paying attention to the words Command Throw on the screen. I nail it almost perfectly by pressing T right as 3P+K or Slide Shuffle 33K hits the opponent. An alternative would be to press T right as you hear the sound effect from those strikes.

- Best wall splats imo are 66K or 6PK. You can mix up with 1P+KK or even 3H+K. Follow up with: FSK - P+KP - 1P+KPP for maximum crazy wall damage or use P+K - 1P+KPK if you don't feel confident about landing the flash sword kick.

- Double P+KP bounce works on stages with uneven terrain or slopes (similar to Marie Rose BT H+K two times) Always works on Alpha. Sample combo: 4H+K - P+KP (x2) - 7K.

- 2P low jab works on 'lazy' people who don't tech roll after his Knee Strike (64T) or Neck Slasher (2T).

- Similarly, 6H+K works a psuedo-force tech after Jacky's high punch hold or high kick hold, in which you dash first and then do 6H+K.

- My last and most important tip: NEVER GIVE UP! I cannot stress this enough. If your flash kicks aren't coming out on a certain day, try again or perhaps take a break and try again tomorrow. If you just aren't feeling it, at least try another time or come back later. Jacky is a complex character and I think a lot of people underestimate his potential.

That's about it folks! :jacky:

xRELICXx

Excellent thread man! This is very educational. I hope the people that are reading this give Jacky a try if they have not, he's such a kool character and fun to play as.
Yeeaaahhh!!! :jacky:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Good stuff, sadly that people sleep on the man because people dislike the VF characters from exaggerations. I can drop some stuff that can be super good and hoping that people will use it more (or rather use him more.)

1) :4::4::K: i16 - The use of 44K: 44K does *not* wallsplat and you want to know why it's good? It puts them back turned. You don't have to exactly play the stun game if you are near a wall to get this in your arsenal and I truly believe it's good to make use of it. Considering that majority of the stages have walls. This is really good and allows to connect with BT:4::K: which is guaranteed so you can follow it with BT:4::K: > :P+K::P: > :1::P+K::P::K:.
Or BT:4::K: > :6::K::H*: > :P+K: :P:> :1::P+K::P::P:.

All from 44K. Good with walls and invisible walls, but for invisible walls you may have to rely on a different approach from 44K since BT4K will knock them back..:P::P: or BT:2::K: could be used probably.

2) Slide Shuffle :3::3::P: i35 (Randomizes on speed upon delay of Slide Shuffle). Unstaggerable stun, slow but has wonders. Also crushes highs but window time to do so is very small. Not very useful if you are trying to bypass highs but can get a really good stun game going after getting an initial stun in.

3) Slide Shuffle :3::3: : For baiting purposes. You don't always have to make an attack from Slide Shuffle. You can get an initial stun property following an attack that leads to a Slide Shuffle and then canceling it to provide more ideas for damage. You can Slide Shuffle cancel into a throw or pressure ideas. (This is just an example: Move into Slide Shuffle > :3::3: > :6::4::H+P:/Throw). You can get 66 points of damage if they will stay there holding block or even better, if they try to hold and expect an attack from Slide Shuffle and Boom! more damage for you from a throw. Keep in mind that you won't always get 64T. It solely depends on how you delay the Slide shuffle and 33 which may force you to use faster throws instead of 64T which is a i12 throw.

4) :2::H+K: - This move is really not that bad. It's the entire segment of the attacks that is terrible. The use of 2H+K has a few notches to increase threshold or mix up ideas. You can get a initial stun and throwing :2::H+K: for baits to make people hold or adding the 2nd :K: to add moves such as :P: into the extra initial. Not to mention that :2::H+K: is an i12 which is good. It's weak so don't use it as a start up to break up other i12s that provide more damage..but it's good to get those quick initials in and bait purposes. (Nereus sorry but... this move is really not that bad. It's the whole thing kick series that sucks.)

5) :4::P+K: i19- Another good one. Causes that faint stun which means they can't stagger after that or hold and it doesn't even wall splat.

Can provide the following:

1) :P:
2) :6::P:
3) :2::H+K:
4) :2::P: (For situation purposes.)

6) :3::P::P::P: & :3::P::P::P+K:/:[p+k]: - Another one. 3PPP+K on charge provides you with a +9 GB on block. You can provide a sort of wall pressure with these moves and a change between either of them. Imagine a scenario where your opponent for whatever reason chooses not to block, You can follow up with 3PPP to a wallsplat into your preferred combos to rack up 80+ (Definitely more) of damage without having to play a stun game from 3 simple attacks. Of course, it's up to the opponent if he chooses to hold the high but if they don't hold or make the wrong corresponding ones, they will take some serious damage. As long as you don't make 3PPP+K readable and obvious because people are likely going to react to those sooner or later near a wall..but hey..you can't forget about 44K :rolleyes:.

3P is i14 as well..not a bad start up for initial, with the ender as an i13 which means they have to hold while P+K is i18 and fully charged is 35 frames in speed I believe.

7) :4::6::H+P: on wall: We all know why.

NOTE: Also forgot to add that Slide Shuffle can parry mid punches upon timed contact (Standard command Slide shuffle is a good example: :4::4::P+K:). You can use that for situation purposes to cancel for :3::3: or to get a guaranteed Slide Shuffle :P: from parrying a mid punch.

Last edited:

KING JAIMY

Good stuff, sadly that people sleep on the man because people dislike the VF characters from exaggerations. I can drop some stuff that can be super good and hoping that people will use it more (or rather use him more.)

1) :4::4::K: i16 - The use of 44K: 44K does *not* wallsplat and you want to know why it's good? It puts them back turned. You don't have to exactly play the stun game if you are near a wall to get this in your arsenal and I truly believe it's good to make use of it. Considering that majority of the stages have walls. This is really good and allows to connect with BT:4::K: which is guaranteed so you can follow it with BT:4::K: > :P+K::P: > :1::P+K::P::K:.

All from 44K. Good with walls and invisible walls, but for invisible walls you may have to rely on a different approach from 44K since BT4K will knock them back..:P::P: or BT:2::K: could be used probably.

2) Slide Shuffle :3::3::P: i35 (Randomizes on speed upon delay of Slide Shuffle). Unstaggerable stun, slow but has wonders. Also crushes highs but window time to do so is very small. Not very useful if you are trying to bypass highs but can get a really good stun game going after getting an initial stun in.

3) Slide Shuffle :3::3: : For baiting purposes. You don't always have to make an attack from Slide Shuffle. You can get an initial stun property following an attack that leads to a Slide Shuffle and then canceling it to provide more ideas for damage. You can Slide Shuffle cancel into a throw or pressure ideas. (This is just an example: Move into Slide Shuffle > :3::3: > :6::4::H+P:/Throw). You can get 66 points of damage if they will stay there holding block or even better, if they try to hold and expect an attack from Slide Shuffle and Boom! more damage for you from a throw. Keep in mind that you won't always get 64T. It solely depends on how you delay the Slide shuffle and 33 which may force you to use faster throws instead of 64T which is a i12 throw.

4) :2::H+K: - This move is really not that bad. It's the entire segment of the attacks that is terrible. The use of 2H+K has a few notches to increase threshold or mix up ideas. You can get a initial stun and throwing :2::H+K: for baits to make people hold or adding the 2nd :K: to add moves such as :P: into the extra initial. Not to mention that :2::H+K: is an i12 which is good. It's weak so don't use it as a start up to break up other i12s that provide more damage..but it's good to get those quick initials in and bait purposes. (Nereus sorry but... this move is really not that bad. It's the whole thing kick series that sucks.)

5) :4::P+K: i19- Another good one. Causes that faint stun which means they can't stagger after that or hold and it doesn't even wall splat.

6) :3::P::P::P: & :3::P::P::P+K:/:[p+k]: - Another one. 3PPP+K on charge provides you with a +9 GB on block. You can provide a sort of wall pressure with these moves and a change between either of them. Imagine a scenario where your opponent for whatever reason chooses not to block, You can follow up with 3PPP to a wallsplat into your preferred combos to rack up 80+ (Definitely more) of damage without having to play a stun game from 3 simple attacks. Of course, it's up to the opponent if he chooses to hold the high but if they don't hold or make the wrong corresponding ones, they will take some serious damage. As long as you don't make 3PPP+K readable and obvious because people are likely going to react to those sooner or later near a wall..but hey..you can't forget about 44K :rolleyes:.

3P is i14 as well..not a bad start up for initial, with the ender as an i13 which means they have to hold while P+K is i18 and fully charged is 35 frames in speed I believe.

NOTE: Also forgot to add that Slide Shuffle can parry mid punches upon timed contact (Standard command Slide shuffle is a good example: :4::4::P+K:). You can use that for situation purposes to cancel for :3::3: or to get a guaranteed Slide Shuffle :P: from parrying a mid punch.
Nice! I always tend to forget about the existence of Jacky's 44K but didn't realize how good it actually is when your opponent is with their back to the wall.

Also 3PP and follow-ups is an amazing tool like you said, some additional notes:
1) 3PP is a natural combo!! :) This means that you cannot hold the second punch once the first lands.
2) 3P stuns on Normal Hit.
3) 3P is a launcher on critical level 3, making it his quickest launcher (I believe?)

Also didn't know about the guaranteed 2H+K follow-up from 4P+K. I mostly use P or 6P as a guarantee.

His parry is easiest to land after a raw Slide Shuffle (44P+K) imo.

46T on the wall: Nets serious damage and is one of the most rage-inducing throws. But nothing beats Leon's 6T which want to make you ragequit instantly. :p

What I would also like to add is that Jacky's kick cancels have been working out VERY WELL for me. Especially his PKH. People will expect a high kick after P, but instead you cancel and do anything but a high kick. Works out even better against advanced players who have a habit of holding on reaction.

Nereus

Standard Donor

A good thing to mention about :4::4::K: is that if the opponent slow escapes they can get out of the combo. BUT, even if they slow escape the BT :4::K: is still guaranteed so they still cannot block it. What this means is that you'll get even MORE damage than if the opponent didn't slow escape.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
You see, I figured they probably wanted to test out the theory I had. Likely a Jacky player out there probably thought the same thing. It is possible to make a solid combination between shifting with Slide Shuffle :K: and cancelling with :3::3: to make people assume you are going for the Slide Shuffle CB and you can possibly catch people with :6::4::H+P: if they decided to hold if their assumption is wrong.

Lulu

I don't think people underestimate his potential....
I think, as far as my crappy execution is concerned, they think they don't have the Potential to use him......
Anyway Flash Sword Kick is tough but I can do it more consistently than those moves from his Parry.... actually I can't even do the parry.... leniency is even shorter with VF Characters.

Lulu

All righty then.... The Flash Sword is Tough.... I do it different ways for different situations....

When performing the FSK Raw I do it with Timing....

But when I perform it in a Combo I react to it Visually.... I haven't mastered this one yet because I drilled the timing from doing it Raw deep into my memory so performing it after launching has a lower success rate.

And now for the hat trick.... Petforming Multiple Flash Sword Kicks.... this one is tricky... I never do more than, I only did that in the combo challenge. I have a technique for getting 2 FSK's in a Row: first of all, the only scenario this seems to be usefull is during a Juggle so that means after a Launcher I perform the first FSK using visual reaction then I perform all the following FSK's after that using Timing...

The best way for me to FSK is after the Heel Sword, whether I use it to bounce an opponent or flop stun them on the ground it gives me plenty time to perform the FSK using my preferred method... which is with timing.

BTW.... I have another method in which I perform multiple FSK's but I can't use it in a juggle... anyway.... I just perform them all using Timing, but the timing for the First FSK will be Shorter than the rest because I buffer each consecutive FSK from that point forward. This is the method I used for Jacky's Feather Weight Combo Challenge..... thank god thats over.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I have a technique for getting 2 FSK's in a Row: first of all, the only scenario this seems to be usefull is during a Juggle

Jacky's Iaigeri (Flask Sword Kick) is also +3 on block as well. One of the fastest single hit advantage move on block. In fact, it's quite potent if Jacky uses it on a blocking opponent because the move is very deceptive and can provide situations to make the opponent hit a button or allow them to block more often. In short terms, it's a neutral button check.

Lulu

Jacky's Iaigeri (Flask Sword Kick) is also +3 on block as well. One of the fastest single hit advantage move on block. In fact, it's quite potent if Jacky uses it on a blocking opponent because the move is very deceptive and can provide situations to make the opponent hit a button or allow them to block more often. In short terms, it's a neutral button check.

Its also easily crushed and not a particularly good hit confirm....
I can't even use it against Alpha..... would show you the replay of me getting my ass handed to me if I could.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Its also easily crushed and not a particularly good hit confirm....
I can't even use it against Alpha..... would show you the replay of me getting my ass handed to me if I could.

It's not exactly a move that gets easily crushed unless it was a mid that leaves them in a crouch state or a low. The likelyhood is very dependent since it depends on startup. Ex: You cannot throw out the Flash Sword Kick if you are already in a negative disadvantage state. It's more potent if you were at neutral or at +1. If they attempt to go under Flash Sword Kick, now you know the opponent will attempt on trying to crush the high with the followings up there and so it's up to you to either throw out a mid, low or a read.

Last edited:

Lulu

LoL... the unforgiving execution window on Jacky's moves doesn't leave me with any Focus left to read with..... by far the most counter intuitive character I've taken out of the Dojo.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
LoL... the unforgiving execution window on Jacky's moves doesn't leave me with any Focus left to read with..... by far the most counter intuitive character I've taken out of the Dojo.

In a general sense, he's one of the harder characters to play with via the online play. Most of his setups can be dropped by a simple delay. You could practice the timing in the lab but then immediately drop it online due to the connectivity and the console running slower online to at least be playable. It may feel as if it's still perfect compared to the Lab, but that alone is deceptive and can really shape the way the matches go. You could perform a comeback, but you could also be in a scenario to where your Flash Sword Kick didn't come out or you performed the Kick Cancel instead because you've gotten use to the offline lab version.

This may be one of the causes as to why there isn't much Jacky players to begin with, most of his important approaches have to be well timed and not as lenient as Phase 4 or Kasumi, simply because they have the buttons for offensive ideas, Jacky's approach is a little less then that but more theory in mind. There are those that hit the lab and without realizing that the online delay can literally drop combos and they blame themselves for that. This is understandable and reasonable because it's part of the unknown and they are likely not informed of the online game. This could be true or likely to be not true since it depends on players, but it is without a doubt true that most setups can be really dropped from a simple delay for Jacky. Jacky on a 1-2 bar or random spikes is likely to be a nightmare for him unless he's dealing with a not so intelligent opponent.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD