Characters Tom Lee Sure Loves Crossovers

FGC-20160711-CrossOver.jpg

Dead or Alive Festival was a killer event that not only delivered one of the finest fighting tournaments the FGC has ever seen, but also revealed the addition of Mai (from Fatal Fury and KoF) to the Dead or Alive roster. I believe it was very exciting to any of the community skeptics who thought the reveal may only be a few costumes and a new stage.

In this excellent article written by Christian Bahn we get to hear more from the often-times quiet, Creative Director of Team NINJA, Tom Lee -- who has quite a bit to say not just about crossovers, but the community as well. The Virtua Fighter crossover was the blueprint of success, not only because the characters transitioned well into the DOA universe, but because it made sense. Now that Team NINJA has proven they can successfully do crossovers well, it is without any doubt in my mind Mai will help breath fresh life into a game for the older players looking for something new, and a new audience of KoF players... especially to those that enjoyed Maximum Impact.

Tom Lee knows the DOA community like the back of his head, and he knows the recommendations that people make on Twitter, and he knows that it is impossible to please every last fan... not everyone loved the Virtua Fighter crossover, but the tournament showing of the characters and popularity still has proven enough to Team NINJA to keep the trend going. Though I also believe "trolls" have there place in the community. A lot of them are typically shammed, even if their passion is very clear and often times misinterpreted.

I believe that both the community and Team NINJA is doing great working as a team with plenty of content from Team NINJA and plenty of studious players dissecting and processing it all. Let's hope Mai is a stunning success and brings in even more members of the FGC together.

Give back to the Offline Scene | The History of DOA | DOA Festival: Full Show

Last edited:
Great work as always DoTN.
As for the article itself, I do agree with Tom Lee in that crossovers when they work breath new life into the games they happen to(see Akuma in Tekken 7) and while others may not like it, the potential for new audiences is easily great in and of itself.

I honestly see no hurry to make DOA6, the sooner they make it is the earlier we'll have to say goodbye to the VFs, Naotora, Mai, and any other guest fighters we could get in the future, and there's people who main and/or intend to main said characters. I'm in no rush to move on right now, there's still likely plenty in store for us anyway.

The question is will this constant "support" lead to delays in getting DOA6. I'd personally rather have nothing more if that's the case.

As Cyber states, we are simply not guaranteed a DOA6. Hell, I'm not sure where this source comes from, but it took them forever to even deem DOA Dimensions, which success allowed DOA5.

For all we know, we have no clue if DOA5 even with all of it's success will even make them think about a sequel yet or anytime soon.

what we have is on life support. the most interesting thing about this game anymore is the costume contests and thats because its the only time we get to see anything original or interesting anymore.

Maybe for you, but you can't speak for the rest of the community that is still turning up to events and also Team NINJA's great continued support. Some people are going to get tired of the game no matter how much content for it is released, and I guess that's unfortunate for anyone hoping for a new game.

what we have is on life support. the most interesting thing about this game anymore is the costume contests and thats because its the only time we get to see anything original or interesting anymore.
I dunno, DOA5LR still seems more interesting than almost any other fighter out there at the moment IMO. Game has received a shitload of support, just had a kickass event at DOA FESTIVAL 2016, and is currently one of the best looking fighting games on the market, along with outstanding gameplay to boot. The game is far from outdated or requiring an upgrade.

As for Tom Lee, he is a godsend to DOA5LR's support, both competitive and casual. This man is a massive piece to the game's success. I'm honoured to have met him before, because he is one of the humblest, coolest dudes I have ever met before. Cheers to him!

I dunno, DOA5LR still seems more interesting than almost any other fighter out there at the moment IMO. Game has received a shitload of support, just had a kickass event at DOA FESTIVAL 2016, and is currently one of the best looking fighting games on the market, along with outstanding gameplay to boot. The game is far from outdated or requiring an upgrade.

As for Tom Lee, he is a godsend to DOA5LR's support, both competitive and casual. This man is a massive piece to the game's success. I'm honoured to have met him before, because he is one of the humblest, coolest dudes I have ever met before. Cheers to him!
"Far from requiring an upgrade" Hi, i'd like to recommend you to look not look at the tits and the low floor textures. Maybe if they didn't focus on soft engines for Honoka and copy-pasting outfits the textures would be presentable.

"Far from requiring an upgrade" Hi, i'd like to recommend you to look not look at the tits and the low floor textures. Maybe if they didn't focus on soft engines for Honoka and copy-pasting outfits the textures would be presentable.

I guess you will cry your butt off looking at SFV then right?

After Naotora they lost all credibility for guest characters........

How so? You might as well say they lost that respect when they got Nicole into the game as she was in fact supposed to be THE Master Chief from the Halo Universe and even tried to tie it in the series just like with Naotora...

I do look at more than the tits thank you very much. When I'm in the heat of battle I'm not exactly hung up on something as trivial as the floor textures. I'm talking more about the spectacle on the screen coupled with the amazing character models.

It's definitely not perfect, but DOA5LR still is one of the better looking fighting games on the market all things considered. Only nitpickers think it needs an upgrade. Something like VF5FS, for example, needs an upgrade, for comparison's sake.

I honestly see no hurry to make DOA6, the sooner they make it is the earlier we'll have to say goodbye to the VFs, Naotora, Mai, and any other guest fighters we could get in the future, and there's people who main and/or intend to main said characters. I'm in no rush to move on right now, there's still likely plenty in store for us anyway.

no there's just plenty in the store for us. plenty of uninspired costumes,the blandest stages in DOAs history, and more guest characters I likley won't give a shit about.

no there's just plenty in the store for us. plenty of uninspired costumes,the blandest stages in DOAs history, and more guest characters I likley won't give a shit about.
I'm sorry if that's how you feel, but I personally feel differently. Honestly that's a sad thing about people with that mentality, negativity and just not thinking about what's in store for us with these new additions will just automatically force you to assume the worst every time. I'd rather they continue supporting and improving the game with new content than making a half hearted sequel that takes a portable console copy that has more content and two additional editions to make it feel fully complete...doesn't that sound familiar??
Agreed Naotora is a mistake, I don't know why they thought that DOA needed a character like that. Probably because of the "OH SO KAWAII" effect, pretty cringe tbh.
After Naotora they lost all credibility for guest characters........
D-don't insult Naotora <_> I understand if you don't like her, but there's people who actually like and enjoy her addition to the game, she's an awesome guest imo, and DON'T let people who mash with her give you the wrong idea of how actual players who seriously use her play. She's cute but that's not the only reason to like her, heck I'll still use her more even when Mai drops XD.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD