Community Want Another Way of Helping FSD and the Community?

UPDATED 1/2/2016: I've updated some information in this article about current costs for the site. If you can spare a few bucks and enjoy coming here definitely do so. The site is not in any danger but it's another way of supporting your community! Getting some cool new abilities on the site isn't a bad way to start the New Year, right?

Updated article follows:

As some of you may have noticed, there has been a Donate button hanging out on the right side of the index and front page for a while now. Judging by responses to a recent status update I posted, though, a large majority of you have no idea the site even accepts donations. This post is going to break down what the feature is for, what the site does with the donations, and what donating does for you. Feel free to also offer suggestions in the comments below!

Now to start with, let's talk about actual costs for the site. This site is funded 100% by @Mr. Wah and donations from forum users like you. We have never gone the ad-farm sidebar route, nor have we added things like in-line ads during threads and similar things you have likely seen elsewhere. Running a website is definitely not free and there are a surprising number of hidden costs associated with it. Here's a quick rundown of what is currently in the works (in US dollars):
  • General upkeep (server/domain fees) about $160 per month
  • Community events and goals
    • FSD, through donations, has contributed to crowdfunding campaigns
    • @Mr. Wah himself has contributed to the EVO fundraiser, tournament pots, and other community-focused ventures (you know, like running the site) even before the Donate option was a reality
The site has largely run completely without outside assistance to date and that's unlikely to change. That said, you can absolutely help! Contributing anything at all will make you a Donor and there are currently two levels for Donors. Reaching these levels confers some privileges, permissions, and just cool bonuses that you otherwise cannot get. Here's the way it currently works:
  • $1.00 - $99.99 Cumulative: Standard Donor
    • Ability to have text signatures
    • 'Standard Donor' appears in your profile and on posts
    • Our personal thanks
  • $100+ Cumulative: Premium Donor
    • Ability to have images and links in signatures in addition to just text
    • 'Premium Donor' appears in your profile and on posts
    • Main character (as selected in your profile) appears watermarked in your forum posts
    • Our personal thanks
@Mr. Wah is open to ideas and suggestions on additional perks and permissions, so feel free to make some suggestions below. Just make sure to give a bit of detail. Want a private forum just for Premium donors? Suggest it. Want a custom title for donating at least $50? Let us know. Want to choose my avatar for a week? Do your worst, but you still need to speak up! The site is first and foremost a community site and your input and feedback are its lifeblood.

If you do donate, make sure to put a note on the donation itself telling us what your forum name is so that we can track your donations as they do add up. If you make a donation but forget to leave a note, just be sure to message @Mr. Wah directly. Whether $0 or $2,500 comes in, the site will keep on rolling, but you have the opportunity to help us expand and help the community even more; that's in addition to helping cover monthly costs!

If you have any additional questions, feel free to drop me a line and I'll update this post. Thanks for reading and thank you for helping to make FSD as great as it is!

Last edited by a moderator:
People still don't know you can donate? Damn.

Question about the premium member character watermarks; do you still get one if your main character is set to Kasumi α, OMEGA, Raidou, Shiden, SPARTAN-458, or Tengu?

Alright i donated... it wasn't much (4 bucks).. but it's better than nothing. Plus, im broke as hell lololol.

EDIT: I made sure my username was listed as well.
Any help is money that goes directly back into the community. That $4 is huge and you can make the number grow over time.

Don't forget to make suggestions for perks, people! So far we have yoga lessons from @Mr. Wah himself as well as steaks. Not sure we'd have the travel budget to make that happen but all suggestions are welcome haha.

Cool stuff... I planned on donating anyway. This community opened up a lot of doors for me as a player. Have to show my thanks besides showing up playing when I can & blogging about my personal experiences of events.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD