What am I doing wrong with Sarah?

STBALLA1990

So I've been using Sarah for the past couple of days and felt pretty good, so I decided to go into ranked, but I can't seem to put the pieces together with her in the clutch. I feel in control in matches but can't seem to win. Any pointers someone can help me with, maybe a bad habit or not using a certain move. I just dont know.

AkaShocka

You get shaky when under pressure, but no one can blame you for that, and you kinda come in with random moves. Also, you free cancel a little too much and drop some combos.... Good Sarah though! Just a little more pressure will help you also.

Also, a little more throw punishing but its online so eh.

RANDOM SARAH FIGHT!:

splslick

So I've been using Sarah for the past couple of days and felt pretty good, so I decided to go into ranked, but I can't seem to put the pieces together with her in the clutch. I feel in control in matches but can't seem to win. Any pointers someone can help me with, maybe a bad habit or not using a certain move. I just dont know.

I am no Sarah expert however, I am learning her myself...I have noticed you would setup situations where 6p would land as a counterhit however, you always went for the same launcher...Granted it was against different opponents and if it isnt broken, don't fix it however, I feel you need to learn her other launchers such as 3p+k, 2p+kk and kp..Those all launch after landing a counterhit 6p and it makes it harder for the opponent to read your launchers.. I would also suggest throwing more and setting up tick throws. On the topic of throwing, you can go for more throw punishes when you know or think they are punishable. I also noticed when you go into Flamingo stance, you tend to always go p immediately after. There is nothing really wrong with that however, it's really easy to read that when you do it so often. Because of that I would also suggest incorporating your other moves from Flamingo stance such as 2k~grab, 1p+k~grab, etc or you can try to sneak in p2kkk. I can't think of anything else. If I do think of anything, I'll pm you or I will just add a reply in this thread. Hope to see your Sarah improve me :D

Red Mon

@STBALLA1990 First off I am going to state that I am not the best Sarah player. But know a lot of knowledge of the character and fundamentals. STBALLA in the video majority of the time when you engaged the opposite opponent the normal/moves you were doing were not necessarily the best choice to throw out with Sarah. Your counters were good, I like how you implemented baits for some of your counters.(which is good). Remember to counter bait and get those grabs my friend. I know you know the combos, I am not going to defame you knowledge of combos. Your spacing could be better, with better spacing you will know exactly which buttons to use at those clutch moments. And pressure/aggression step that up a couple more notches my friend, you displayed some good pressure.(you should of beating that Lisa) Also take into consideration the match-ups at hand.Lastly man just keep using her, keep practicing that clutch that's the only way you will develop your clutch.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
@STBALLA1990 First off I am going to state that I am not the best Sarah player. But know a lot of knowledge of the character and fundamentals. STBALLA in the video majority of the time when you engaged the opposite opponent the normal/moves you were doing were not necessarily the best choice to throw out with Sarah. Your counters were good, I like how you implemented baits for some of your counters.(which is good). Remember to counter bait and get those grabs my friend. I know you know the combos, I am not going to defame you knowledge of combos. Your spacing could be better, with better spacing you will know exactly which buttons to use at those clutch moments. And pressure/aggression step that up a couple more notches my friend, you displayed some good pressure.(you should of beating that Lisa) Also take into consideration the match-ups at hand.Lastly man just keep using her, keep practicing that clutch that's the only way you will develop your clutch.

I need your input on mines as well. I can't quite tell of the potential combos since she's much different than Jacky, considering that they both have similarities on moves but some of them function very differently.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Okay, this is just my day 4 no experience Sarah talking, but I don't remember seeing a single throw in the first one and that really shouldn't happen. I know it's netplay, but some of those moves you could easily react to and buffer a throw punish. Even during pressure. At this point, people know they can't press a button when you're at frame advantage. Just throw them for free. Sarah's strikes are amazing, but that's exactly why you can land her throws often. Plus, it lets you get more counter hit 6Ps, 'cause they start getting scared of throws and start doing dumb stuff.

Red Mon

1. @DestructionBomb You don't have to listen to me(I know there's going to be others that might disagree with what I am saying, just try it out and see if you like it) From watching, when you launch you use 3p+k which is a good launch to throw in. But for max damage your gonna want to use 1k as your launch.(it gives you more height) Also 2p+kk is a also a good max damage launch on Non-CB combos(also good height), but be mindful that 2p+kk is 2 hits.( with it being 2 hits this is not a good choice for CB combos, for CB stick to 1k, 3p+k, or 8h+k.) Another thing i noticed is you used 6k to end your non-CB combos, 6k is good if the character is a Heavy type, you launch with 3pk, or the opponent is going to fall out. Try out 6kk at the end of your combos, see if you like it more. (The 6kk im talking about is the one from flamingo stance.) Also look in to doing 33k combos after launch that's where your going to getting a lot of Sarah's damage. Oh yeah her 2p is amazing do that ish

Last edited:

HitomiMaster

@STBALLA1990 Sarah's mixup is a crucial part of her play style. In the first battle, I see you backing up a lot, which you shouldn't do while playing Sarah. When you were fighting, I never saw you go into the Flamingo stance unless you did the relauncher in your combo. I also saw that you never did the step. I think you should go into that and mixup with the :P::P: and the :K:. I also never saw you doing the forward slide or backward slide. You should incorporate into your play style.

I hope this helped!:sarah:

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I'm not a Sarah player but the biggest problem I see with your matches is that you're playing DoA style with her. Sarah doesn't have to do that and you don't need to play the stun game. Just go in. Watch other solid Sarah players and you'll see a complete disregard for what the opponent is doing. It should be The Sarah Show. She only really has trouble against people who can effectively control space and keep away and that's just a matter of getting in.

akhi216

Standard Donor
STBALLA1990 said:

YouTube Video

I am no pro but your Sarah was quite entertaining and seemed to improve over time. I personally would have attempted to sneak in a throw more when the opponent block more than three attacks looking for an opening. The elephant in the room was the dropped combos - you should be able to pretty much eliminate them by practicing your juggle combos on dummies with different weight classes. Aside from that you should work on dealing with back turned shenanigans and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD