DOA5LR what are your final thoughts on DOA5?

Camel with 2 thumbs

now that attention on DOA5 is going to be winding down due to a new game coming out (i refuse to say DOA5 is dead/dying cause i have a feeling alot of people will still be playing that game), what are your thoughts on DOA5 as a whole? did you like it? hate it? can't wait for it to bite the dust? im curious to what peoples thoughts are on this game before the new installment gets here

For me, I don't dislike DOA5, i definitely wouldn't have played this game as much as i have if i didn't like it, but is DOA5 my favorite DOA? hell no, DOA2 is still my #1, i really like DOA when it's dry and basic and DOA5 added bells and whistles that I didn't really appreciate, hell I even remember getting mad at DOA5's sound design, but cliffhangers i like, shame they only showed up in 3 stages. Pettiness aside, i still like the game, and im glad i played as much as i did, here's to hoping DOA6 provides the same enjoyment

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
Will always hold a special place in my heart. Despite it's flaws, relative lack of neutral, and granting only a select few characters access to things like sit down guaranteed CB. I'm not saying you have to enjoy 5 to be a DOA fan but there's not a lot of reason to not like it if you're a fan of the series. I get that it can be wonky and the spontaneity in some fights could be considered annoying to people who enjoy tighter fighting mechanics but I kind of like that charm. It's an imperfect product and I guess the imperfections are kind of what sell it for me. Way too much DLC though... Like... How many catalogs are there in total now? If I want to reinstall DOA 5 the DLC is going to take just as long as the actual game lol I'm just saying. The PB and PL mechanics were alright.

P2p1mbs

To me, 5 had the best selection of characters, not just for the many guests but I really liked characters like Mila and Rachel (who I had waited since first seeing her in Ninja Gaiden to become a DOA girl), both are part of my mains but I also like Sarah, Mai and Rig (though I almost never use him, I like his fighting style and design).

In terms of gameplay, I have grown used to playing it but can still enjoy the older games which I still like to play on occasion. And while its hard to really enjoy online play since I ALWAYS get lag, the (VERY) rare times when it didnt get in the way, I did have a good time even when losing.

When it came to DLC, while I did think they did make a bit too many, I still did buy a lot (I'm even still saving up to re-buy DLCs for my PS4 version which I got on my Xbone :oops:).

Overall, it has become my most played DOA game ever and I will keep playing it until 6 comes out.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I'm ready to move on. DLC was good but the game was still basically a PS3 game remaster with a current gen shader slapped on at it's core, it didn't truly feel like much of a new game. I'm ready for something new

Normal

DoA5 was strange and the graphics seemed muddy all the time. I wanted Akira Yuki to play by DoA rules but he ended up having VF rules. 1 frame knee seems wrong in DoA when these games usually have easy input. I'm happy that Team Ninja is starting fresh with a new game that actually has good graphics. Their new lighting engine looks very good.

MasterHavik

I need to play LR more, but for the others. It's fun and showed me that DOA4's approach could work. Felt good to play vanilla and ultimate.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
DOA5 was a masterpiece... one of the best fighting games ever made. I'm feeling burnt out to some degree with DOA5, but that's rational.

MasterHavik

5 was no masterpiece and it's still the 3rd best to 4th best DOA game but overall it was a huge improvement from 4 on both a casual and competitive prespective. I'm sorry DOA Online has spoil me.

Last edited:

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Based on how much of it I've played and watched I can say it's a masterpiece if I want... glad to see you magically pop back up after a new game is announced though. Welcome back, bud!

But I don't give a rat's filthy ass what you think, and I doubt many do.

MasterHavik

Meh it's an opinion. I like it and you like it. Nice passive aggressiveness btw. Did you learn that from 5?

Also, language my dude. Don't we got rules agaisnt swearing?

Hazard

Standard Donor
It was the game that allowed me to take my first step into the competitive world of fighting games. Definitely one of the games I've spent the most time studying. While I'll always hold it in high regard, it's still good to move on. DOA5 had a good run.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
You push my buttons sometimes because you never seem happy with anything. If you are so unhappy why do you continue serving the product? I call it projection more than I call it opinion... and you project yourself way too much for me to be happy with you right now.

MasterHavik

Well ninja overall I thought the game was fine. I think some people shit on it too much and I think some people ride the game's dick too much. It will be an interesting note in DOA history. It's not hard to make me happy I think. I mean I like ARMS and that game is just a gimmick and punching.

But back to DOA, I was never unhappy with DOA just a little bother at some design choices made some dumb buffs and nerfs. I mean it took away frame advantage from moves for god's sake and added pointless shit like power launchers while bounds(sit down stun bounce) are more worth your trouble if you looking for guaranteed damage.

Last edited:

illninofan

A fine introduction to the series, and back into the world of fighting games as a whole for me. I'm enjoying my crawl through the movesets, stages and the minute details of the game.

A little sad that I caught it at the very end of it's lifespan, but I will continue playing it for a long, long time :).

delSai

A fine introduction to the series, and back into the world of fighting games as a whole for me. I'm enjoying my crawl through the movesets, stages and the minute details of the game.

A little sad that I caught it at the very end of it's lifespan, but I will continue playing it for a long, long time :).
This is pretty much what i wanted to say. Got me hooked on DOA and i'll keep playing most likely everyday (and don't finish any other game...) until 6 comes out.

Moneyspider_Todd

Not gonna lie; my relationship with DOA5 goes from love to hate to liking. I still like more DOA4 and the previous games, but as time passed and more versions of the game i've gained access (i have dedicated lot of time to both ps4 versions, all the xbox 360 versions including the alpha demo, the xbox one core fighters which i'm playing and investing in DLCs now and the steam version) now i can give more real value for what the game is in global terms beyond of a "high budget endless dlc ero-doujin tekken rip-off" as i've heard it has been called before.

I hope that DOA6 knows how balance between the casual gaming and the tourney crap so it doesn't goes too extreme about it sides.

Last edited:

Ramudamu

I practice it a lot. I really like the general design and the characters are just great (i just don't want to play Soulcalibur VI when i see the graphics...same with Tekken7). I spend a lot of time to complete all combo challenges with all the characters, just find it really fun to play. So yeah, for me DOA5LR is one of a kind, a really great one.

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
This game helped me learn how frames work and really helped me learn what type of player I am in fighting games. It also let me relive some nostalgia from the DOA2 dreamcast days.

DyByHands

Overall, I think its the best entry in the series. It has the best roster, with great guests. Nicole was cool in 4 but the VF/KOF characters are way better. The vanilla stages were a bit bland but some still had good replay value with some cool things to do and the classic throwback stages made it even better. And I really enjoyed the CB and PB stuff.
Some things were missing like slope/stair throws/holds, however cliffhangers kind of softened that blow. I myself prefer the classic style of story mode but the new MK'esque style is ok. To compare to the older games (I started with 3) the only thing that wasn't as good in 5/U/LR were the stages. 2U and even 4 has the best stages. I put the most time into 5 and its iterations, I didn't get bored with it too quick, like I did with 4 or Dimensions.
And on a final note, it has my ridiculous sumo Bass in game, lol.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD