What character's playstyle is right for me?

supertailsfan

(First thing, I would like to apologize if I post this in the wrong section) Hallo everyone! So, the point of this thread is before I make Hitomi my 100% main, I would like to know a little something about the other characters playstyles. I am willing to play as any female character and maybe Bass, Bayman, Gen Fu or Leon. The characters that caught my attention were Hitomi, Helena because of her elegant fighting style, Marie Rose because she fights similar to Tekken's Lili (my main in Tekken) Rachel, Momiji, Alpha-152 and Nyotengu. I don't care if a character is high tier or low tier.

From what I learned
Hitomi is a stun heavy character.
Rachel is a bruiser who is easy to pick up but hard to master.
Eliot is not suppose to be played as a rush down character (though I'm not planning on playing as Eliot).

Last edited:

Aven Kujo-Gin

Depend of what playstyle you have. Characters like Hitomi or Hayate need to play the stun game, whereas characters like Ayane or Christie don't. I suggest you to try different characters and choose what fits better for you. But Hitomi is pretty good, so that will be a good choice.

supertailsfan

Thank you for the response! Actually. I don't have a playstyle really. I try spacing, poking, and launch whenever I can. I did try out most of the females and they all seems to fit me quite well. I find Bass and Bayman to be sluggish, though I still like Bass. The thing I was looking for was something like "Lili is one the best side steppers in Tekken" "Marie Rose is good at disrupting tracking" (from what I seen) "This character is good at the pressure game" or "This character is good at keeping other players out". I didn't see this type of info in most character trends or maybe I didn't look hard enough. If people do talk about this and not just what attacks are useful to that character, tell me and I'll look harder.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Bass is not the best choice to start with, unless you know the system well enough and have decent reactions to throw punish and change momentum.

If you're into spacing and whiff punishment, he's a good choice since has options faster than 20 frames, enough to get a good launch or oki pressure. He also has the best throw range in the game which he gets the highest potential damage output from.

His strike game is generally either poking for counter hits or some guaranteed situations for high damage output. It really won't hurt to to play the stun game with him since you'll be finishing for hold attempts to punish while trying to build up the threshold for that nasty post-CB juggle.

He also has a very reliable vortex from juggles.

If you won't mind his speed and willing to play a different game compared to other characters, then you'll be fine.

If you're willing to be patient and willing to learn the game, you can get quite far with him.

That's pretty much it. I probably overcomplicated that enough considering how simple his general game plan is, though people are just not playing him right to get the most out of him.

supertailsfan

Thank you for the response and info on Bass! I still need to learn more about the system since I haven't become familiar with it. Also, I usually don't throw punish because I'm so use to not throwing in Tekken. So Bass won't be my main, but he will be one the side characters I'll play.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Throw punishing can save lives in this game, believe it or not. Just throwing someone from an unsafe move can easily topple pressure and put tides to your favor. Even characters have throws that provide with frame advantage such as Zack's 6T that guaranteeds PP or Mila's 6T that guaranteeds K. Especially in DOA because regardless...it still hurts even if it's minor. But yeah what they said, especially Bass since he does require patience and providing you understand the mechanics + knowing who he is up against as well as making good reads.

Of course, I am in no position to tell you to pick X character. Whoever you are most comfortable with.

If you really want to open up complexity as well as challenge your head, you do have the VF characters if you up to trying them.

supertailsfan

Actually, after finding info on Pai Chan, I can see her being my main. Don't know what type of playstyle Sarah requires, but she seems like a fun character.

supertailsfan

Unless you want to attempt Akira supertailsfan.
Noooo thank you. I had seen a few videos on DOA5U tournaments and one of the commentators says that Akira is quite difficult to play, especially using that knee attack in combos. I'll just stick with Pai Chan and Sarah for my VF needs.

Brute

Standard Donor
Thank you for your input. I had read a guide in the Rachel section which that person said that she is hard to master. Glad to hear another opinion.
Everyone says that their main is "hard to master." While that is indeed true for many characters, it's certainly not true for all of them.

Rachel is one of the easiest characters to master in the game.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD