Community Why again is solo tag nonexistent in the tourney scene?

RhythmikDesigns

I know that that 1v1 is the mainstay, and I'm not trying to change that. Just wondering why solo tag isn't given a more of shot at tourneys. And yes I know our numbers are not that great even for 1v1, but I would still like to know.

synce

I'm guessing fear of true combos. Tag doesn't let people play the guessing games that makes DOA so (in)famous

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
We've tried it, and frankly it comes down to time and pool size. Generally 3/4ths of those who do show up for the singles event don't sign up for tag, and it takes time to run the two separate tournaments as well.

If enough people show up with a passion to play it, and get at least say 32 entrants, it'd start getting traction. But when Solo struggles to get 50, it's tough to even get an 8 or 12 man tourney going.

RhythmikDesigns

We've tried it, and frankly it comes down to time and pool size. Generally 3/4ths of those who do show up for the singles event don't sign up for tag, and it takes time to run the two separate tournaments as well.

If enough people show up with a passion to play it, and get at least say 32 entrants, it'd start getting traction. But when Solo struggles to get 50, it's tough to even get an 8 or 12 man tourney going.

Ok, that's understandable.

It would be nice to get more interest in solo tag, but I know we have to build on 1 thing at a time

werewolfgold

I'm guessing fear of true combos. Tag doesn't let people play the guessing games that makes DOA so (in)famous
Isn't it funny how it's always "guessing" and never "predicting based upon past patterns" or "reacting based upon the attack you see coming" when it comes to people talking about DOA's hold system...?

Argentus

Isn't it funny how it's always "guessing" and never "predicting based upon past patterns" or "reacting based upon the attack you see coming" when it comes to people talking about DOA's system...?
exactly lol. "its not strategy or mindgames, its just guessing!". lol, what? seems like people just want to be able to do their practiced combos without being interrupted, and just rage at the counter system for making them hafta use their head a little instead of just mash out an instant win combo like a lot of other fighters. No offense @synce

RhythmikDesigns

I definitely appreciate both aspects, the strategy and mind games of 1v1, and in addition to those, execution required for tag.

Idk, I don't play Marvel so I won't speak on if its a good game or not from a technical stand point, but I do watch it and find it entertaining. And I'm not saying we should be more like Marvel, or any other game for that matter, but I just have a feeling that DOA tag at high level would be just as entertaining if not more. But that just my opinion.

Matt explained why, and I'm good with that. Maybe have to start doing side tourneys for Tag myself when I start travel more, eh?

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
What execution? :v It's not like tag combos take more effort. It's just longer and more guaranteed. It's a different game from singles and people just don't like it. Plus, tag combos last so long that it makes the game look boring. Game developers usually try to shorten combos while keeping complexity. BlazBlue, for example, keeps adding mechanics that reduce combo time and even hitstop to make sure that combos don't end up being loop after loop of the same few moves.

If TN really wants tag to be taken seriously, they need to change how it works, 'cause right now it's extremely boring as a spectator sport. There's 2-3 seconds of intense neutral game, and then someone dies in one really long, really boring loop and then you start over with the other character. They need to either change the combo system to stop loops (like BB or SG), or to change the tag system so you can't tag as often as you can now (like TTT).

EDIT: Actually, I'd be okay if they just reduce the health to 1/3 of what it is now for tag. Short exciting matches.

RhythmikDesigns

What execution? :v It's not like tag combos take more effort. It's just longer and more guaranteed. It's a different game from singles and people just don't like it. Plus, tag combos last so long that it makes the game look boring. Game developers usually try to shorten combos while keeping complexity. BlazBlue, for example, keeps adding mechanics that reduce combo time and even hitstop to make sure that combos don't end up being loop after loop of the same few moves.

If TN really wants tag to be taken seriously, they need to change how it works, 'cause right now it's extremely boring as a spectator sport. There's 2-3 seconds of intense neutral game, and then someone dies in one really long, really boring loop and then you start over with the other character. They need to either change the combo system to stop loops (like BB or SG), or to change the tag system so you can't tag as often as you can now (like TTT).

EDIT: Actually, I'd be okay if they just reduce the health to 1/3 of what it is now for tag. Short exciting matches.

I'm not saying that execution is wildly more difficult in tag, but it takes more in tag than in 1v1 as far as juggles are concerned. Or maybe its just me. Yeah there are some boring loops, but not all Tag juggles are that. But to each his/her own when it comes to what is entertaining to them. I love 1v1 DOA, just would like to see Tag evolve in the Tourney scene.

As far as health is concerned, I can agree with you on that. Couldn't we just change the life size to something we the community can agree upon?

Edit: *A random thought* Has anyone ever played Tag using there 2nd character more as an (stun) assist rather than just juggle extension?

Last edited:

indieanimator

I'm not saying that execution is wildly more difficult in tag, but it takes more in tag than in 1v1 as far as juggles are concerned. Or maybe its just me. Yeah there are some boring loops, but not all Tag juggles are that. But to each his/her own when it comes to what is entertaining to them. I love 1v1 DOA, just would like to see Tag evolve in the Tourney scene.

As far as health is concerned, I can agree with you on that. Couldn't we just change the life size to something we the community can agree upon?

*A random thought* Has anyone ever played Tag using there 2nd character more as an neutral game assist rather than just juggle extension?

Yeah, I can barely juggle & can't do long combos. I sometimes connect a tag throw because they're fun & can do some damage. I keep a close eye on health recovery & switch out when I need to. There was a similar topic & there I agreed that a tag cooldown and/or "air recovery/burst" mechanic for overly long combos (once a round?) would be nice.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD