Why the QQ?

damedame

I've had some QQ, and heard from synce that selecting alpha cleared rooms.

Why is that? Alpha is certainly not overpowered. Without damaging defensive holds and no rising kicks I personally feel she's barely mid-tier. I find Alpha really fun to play... but I don't get it.

Is it because it's a boss character? Or because it's hard to unlock?

I don't see how me beating them with Alpha is any different than beating them with Kokoro or Kasumi...

synce

Oh man the stories I could tell... I remember this one dude who got so mad he couldn't even talk right lol But generally I only hear QQ from people who don't know Alpha, not from those all up in my grill the whole match. I wish TN didn't put such bullshit unlock conditions so people could see for themselves how flawed she can be.

PJudge

As I expected, I've started getting hate mail for using Alpha. Just played an Alpha vs Kasumi match, and I won by making him think I was going for her charge attack, and then running forward and doing her flip throw. Counter hold damage is fun.

damedame

Haha, alpha is fun to play. :)

I usually ignore the hate mail, but sometimes I'll goad them on. I try to be a nice honorable player, but some people get so hostile when they lose.

I love the ones that say "you have no skill" (and yet they lost to you, so if they lost to someone no skill, where does that put them? >_>)

I also liked the guy playing LEE (who has far more tools than alpha) accusing me of using an overpowered character. XD

PJudge

That's comedy gold there. I just got some guy properly raging at me saying "you spammed and forced me to counter, then spammed your throw. you use a cheap character." Made me laugh. Had to explain that I was using mind games, and he fell perfectly for it. Got a message of block caps as a reply for that claiming I was spamming and generally being cheap for using a powerful set of throws.

Round 1: I charged 3 or 4 times, and got punished, so didn't do it again.
Round 2: I backflip and float, notice he counters, so I jump in to throw and get it Hi Counter Hold.
Round 3: He wins.
Round 4: I backflip kick him twice, use throws and punches to finish.

Does that count as me being cheap? I couldn't find anywhere to ask it. I used Tengu in DOA2 and 4, and rarely got hate mail because of his charge or air throws. I know he's considered low tier, but I won shockingly a lot of the time.

damedame

There's nothing cheap about trapping your opponent into doing what you want. One guy was QQQQQ hardcore so I resolved to beat him using nothing but low punches and throws lol...
I couldn't do it really, but I got him to pretty much be spamming low counter the entire match. Controlling your opponent is a good strategy I think.

I almost never use alpha's charge. I probably should more, but my main friend I practice against can counter it reactively. (no guessing) As such, he won't use a hold unless he sees it coming and you can't change mid-flight so it's pretty much useless against someone aware enough to counter it. I do agree it's pretty cheap against noobs who have no clue how to play except spamming strong attacks over and over. You can hit them 3-4 times before they wake up and realize they maybe should block instead of just attacking.

My favorite win ever was when I slipped in alpha's 20 frame throw. The super slow one where she grabs them and shoots the lazer or whatever... And the LEE used his dragon gunner OH, and of course throws beat OH, so he took like 150 damage and died from half life. I loled, it felt right. XD

I think Alpha/Tengu are rarely ever used, and as such, people do not know HOW to play against them. As such they automatically consider it cheap when they don't know what you're doing.

I played one Hitomi last night, probably 5-6 games. He didn't know how to fight alpha at all, and I beat him many rounds. Eventually he learned her only good launcher is a mid kick. (At least I spam 3 :F:+:K: to launch usually.) After this, and a very well played round on his part, he beat me. I do think that as people learn alpha more, there will be less QQ, but then again, who knows. I had one guy intentionally DC (I think?) after I destroyed him one round.... TWICE.

PJudge

Alpha's charge counter is just a standing punch counter. My brother (my main sparring partner) knows it as I used to use Tengu a lot. I just like the mind games from it. It can be such a fearful move, because you can threaten it. Alpha's is better because the threat is from the falling state, making it easy to see what they know. If they counter it the first time, there's a good chance they know it so I can use that to my advantage.

Personally, I'm enjoying that victory. I thought it was a good fight, especially since I only picked up Alpha today. It was probably luck, but I'm taking it as a good sign. I just wish I had Tengu as well, they would be an awesome tag team. I'm still trying to get the punching OH throw she has down so I can open with that. It feels like she's got a lot of potential for me.

damedame

Ahhh this one?
:214::1::236: :F+P:
That move is VERY GOOD. I just can't execute it worthwhile. I can do it offline in training with some reliability, but online is like 1/10. The input lag or something or just the stress of a real match prevent me from pulling it off.
I could never do Hayabusa's izuna drop well either, so I assume it's something like that.
That move DUCKS highs during startup so it's quite useful. It also has some really nice range.

Toby

To make matters worse, when I use Alpha in tag, after a successful hi-counter launch w/ another character on a light weight, I know it's cheap but I would sometimes go for :3::P::P::P:, :F:, :P::P::P::P::P::P:, :F: , :P::P::P::P::P::P::P: (surprisingly no hate mail haha). Not sure if the last punch would connect cause I haven't done it in a while. I've pull off :214::1::236: :F+P: quite often by buffering in the directional input during :6::K::K: or anytime you think your attack's gonna stun.

PJudge

That's a genius idea on the throw there...definitely worth my learning it. I do love her PPPPPPP just because nobody online expects the last punch, so they start pressing buttons and eat a free launch. I just find that everyone holds block and lets me punch, so it just opens them up for a throw.

I'll post my messages with the guy who was raging later, when I'm next on my XBox. I was laughing so hard.

EDIT: Seriously, why did I not try her before...so fast...so entertaining...just...oh my god...if I can figure out her neutral teleports (i'll do it god damn it! if the AI can do it, then it's possible!) then she is a lot better than inital impressions.

synce

Haha yeah the ground pound works wonders for making people hate you. In ranked I've had several people quit on me halfway through the grab. I've had it used against me too and it's really not fun being grabbed from across the screen and watching that long ass animation lol

TRI Mike

Players can't neutral teleport. It's 99% official. She's very fun to play with but try not to get yourself to a wall or to the ground. I'm asking TN to give her wake-up kicks. It's retarded for her to not have them.

PJudge

Players can't neutral teleport. It's 99% official. She's very fun to play with but try not to get yourself to a wall or to the ground. I'm asking TN to give her wake-up kicks. It's retarded for her to not have them.
It's really strange, because the AI does it with Alpha all the time when I fight her in Versus mode. I figured that if it's possible in Versus then I can do it, as it's not Story mode and the AI is using the same Alpha as I am.

Raansu

It's really strange, because the AI does it with Alpha all the time when I fight her in Versus mode. I figured that if it's possible in Versus then I can do it, as it's not Story mode and the AI is using the same Alpha as I am.

No, the AI has access to certain attacks that players cannot do.

synce

Wake up kicks would be nice but they might nerf something to balance it out... I think a good compromise would be letting her teleport while down with feet toward opponent. It makes her more unique but doesn't guarantee anything and can't be overused. Most importantly between that and H+K the wall isn't a death sentence if you get knocked down near it :p

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
You have to realize a lot of people who play DOA online is casual player who know nothing about fighting games(or at least doa). I met a lot of people who DOA5 is there first doa game. People see how fast and strong alpha is and think she is OP because she is easy to spam with and get high damage off of hi counter throw. They don't realize she lack wake up game and other stuff. So yeah. A lot of noobs will complain so you shouldn't be surprised. Not a lot of them KNOW how weak Alpha actually is.

XXxHakuxXX

Alpha is fun as hell imo I used here and there never got hate mail and bait people into countering just so i can do her :3::3::F+P: or her OMG THAT FREAKING HURT MY HEALTH BAR :236::236::F+P:.

She's definitely easy once you KNOW how to fight her. I see her as a teaching tool for noobies that like to counter spam.

Intelligent Alpha

Alpha is fun as hell imo I used here and there never got hate mail and bait people into countering just so i can do her :3::3::F+P: or her OMG THAT FREAKING HURT MY HEALTH BAR :236::236::F+P:.

She's definitely easy once you KNOW how to fight her. I see her as a teaching tool for noobies that like to counter spam.

Me, too, but folks STILL hold spam; yet, get mad at me when I don't! (And I don't use burst like that)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD