Yosuke Hayashi's thoughts on Injustice: Gods Among Us

Hayashi was recently interviewed by System Update of the New York Daily News. Most of the interview is spent on things we've heard about Dead or Alive 5 before. However, on the second page, Ebenezer Samuel brings up the comparisons of fighting entertainment between Dead or Alive 5 and NetherRealm studios' Injustice: Gods Among Us:

inj-5.jpg

Ebenezer Samuel said:
But DoA hardly seems to go “all-in” with its entertainment approach. Granted, it’s hard to make a judgment on the quality of the game’s interactive elements after seeing just two levels, but Team Ninja’s “Hollywood blockbuster” effect seems subtle when compared against what we saw from Injustice: Gods Among Us.

That much-hyped 2013 superhero fighter — from NetherRealms, the folks who brought us Mortal Kombat — will also feature highly interactive environments. A hands-off demo of that game showcased DC Comics villain Solomon Grundy using a car to smash Batman, then piledriving the superhero through a building into another vast section.

Hayashi responded when brought up with the comparison - stating that Injustice is piggy-backing off of a long established franchise of characters:

Ebenezer Samuel said:
“We don’t have the established history of a Superman or a Batman,” [Yosuke Hayashi] said. “But for the series, it’s how you raise those characters, and raise them like raising a child. For us, we have to make Dead or Alive 5 the game that supports the people who have supported us for all these years.”

Source: System Update

Someone tell Ebenezer Samuel to catch the F up on the times as there's more than two stages that's been shown.

Let's hope they don't rise this child like the did with the other (hint: NG3). The best thing Hayashi can do is stay away from DOA5.

man , Hayashi really really really sucks at interviews ... its sad ... :/

someone put some sunglasses and a leather jacket on the guy and get him drunk already... Maybe then he'll start making more sense ...

I miss Itagaki :(

Attempting to translate Hayashi:

"Superman and Batman have a huge following so just having in them in the game is enough to get it to sell, so they can afford to be more over the top. However, DoA isn't as well known so we have to build up our fanbase and support the fans that we already have."

What he's saying isn't really that bad. He just worded it awkwardly and uses unnecessary metaphors. He might be overthinking his interviews.

all he means is that superman's version of "over-the-top" is on a whole nother level to a normal human being... granted, doa characters can certainly take quite a beating, but its just not the same. Samuel is just butthurt cuz i doubt anybody expected doa5 to come so hard after the previous titles. injustice probably thought it only had to beat tekken. the other two fighters in the running are 2d if im correct. i know P4 arena is anyways

injustice probably thought it only had to beat tekken. the other two fighters in the running are 2d if im correct. i know P4 arena is anyways
Even so, I'll take Naoto Shirogane over Zatanna any day.

'Cause.... I.... like.... girls.... getting on top of each other. Yeah.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD