"You can't defeat me." -Kasumi

Allan Paris

This thread is for discussing Kasumi's matchups against other characters. Who are the characters that do not put up a good fight against Kasumi and why? Who are the characters that are dead even with Kasumi and why? Who are the characters that give Kasumi a problem and what are the most effective ways around that character?

Murakame

against a character like rig i imagine her low kick hold and her 46H will see alot of use seeing as how his kicks seem pretty strong for pressure.

XXxHakuxXX

Mila and her goddamn long reach highs and mids her takedowns and her Ein like defense make it very hard for Kasumi to get in on her.

Allan Paris

any tips on Kasumi vs Brad Wong? i find this matchup very difficult

I haven't played against a doa5 brad yet. Seeing as he's a minor upgrade from 4. Just learn his new tricks and find what you can poke and can't poke in between. She's way faster so you shouldn't be worried about him hitting you first often.

When goes into his handstand those are mid kicks but also watch out for his leg throw from his handstand. You still get a counter throw for throwing him while he's lying down. But with the absent of low OH you really have to get patterns down when a player will attack you from Brad's lying on the ground stance.

Like I said, just learn his new tricks and you'll be fine against him.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
How do you match-up well against a Rig or Hayate player?

For Jann Lee, I use Kasumi's speed. I need to figure out how to match up against Hayabusa as well

extravagant

How do you match-up well against a Rig or Hayate player?

For Jann Lee, I use Kasumi's speed. I need to figure out how to match up against Hayabusa as well

Rig is not too bad. He's got fancy kick strings, but just as long as you block and wait until he finishes his kicks, that's the perfect time to throw in 3 jab punches. Just ONLY 3 though, that'll be enough to stun him or stop him for a second. You can know tech grab him if he tries to risk a counter hold, you have a free hold. Or if he's in stun, you can link some combos followed by mixups

Souichiro

As bayman i have it hardest against Kasumi users. Especially the overly aggressive ones. Once kasumi starts her long combo strings i find it virtually impossible to stop her. In doa4 i could at least hold some of her attaks but being staggered from the beggining of a combo till the end(and im not talking about me being critically burst) i really cant do anything. I have heard people taking about something called stagger escape but i dont exactlly know what it is OR how to use it. Oh well im still new to this ill find my way around things.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
any tips on Kasumi vs Brad Wong? i find this matchup very difficult
Play the distance game against him. Most of them try to confuse you with a mix-up (most common is ground attacks) so if you use spacing to your advantage, you can predict his moves & adapt to him quickly this way. When you get knocked down, be quick to get off the ground. Also make sure you're evasive, so if you have to, give yourself some distance with :9: :P: or :9::P::9_:. You can even force him into whiffing attacks. Use sidestepping wisely as well.

Sixmsj

What's the gameplan on Helena? She doesn't do terrible damage but once she gets her mixups going, it's hard to gain momentum with Kasumi. Many times, I get forced off the ground and subject to her mixups.

Murakame

What's the gameplan on Helena? She doesn't do terrible damage but once she gets her mixups going, it's hard to gain momentum with Kasumi. Many times, I get forced off the ground and subject to her mixups.
I havent faced a good Helena but most of the time I face her she is always crouching and going low/mid. Block then try to interupt her attacks with :2::P:. Once you do that use Kasumi's fast pokes to gain momentum. They will have to respect you if they don't want to eat a counter hit. Also dont forget that Kasumi has :7::P: and :9::P+K: flips to get out of pressure.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I'm a need to figure out Hayate, Ayane, & Hayabusa. I use Ayane, but facing her can be a headache because of her mix-ups. I don't whiff blows foolishly. It's just it's tough to play on the defensive end with Kasumi.

Against Ryu, it's hard to counter his throws.
Against Hayate, I have trouble being on the offensive & guarding against his overhead attacks

As bayman i have it hardest against Kasumi users. Especially the overly aggressive ones. Once kasumi starts her long combo strings i find it virtually impossible to stop her. In doa4 i could at least hold some of her attaks but being staggered from the beggining of a combo till the end(and im not talking about me being critically burst) i really cant do anything. I have heard people taking about something called stagger escape but i dont exactlly know what it is OR how to use it. Oh well im still new to this ill find my way around things.
You're probably better off spacing against her because people like Bayman can only guard against a Kasumi player for so long. I main Kasumi but I've played against her with Ayane, Hayate, & Hitomi & Ryu. I'm thinking about trying Bayman ( I never used to like Bayman. He's grown on me a little bit). However, my point is once Kasumi is in your face, she's hard to get out. If you give yourself some spacing, it'll be easier to adapt to her & predict her moves. Hope that helps.

Souichiro

You're probably better off spacing against her because people like Bayman can only guard against a Kasumi player for so long. I main Kasumi but I've played against her with Ayane, Hayate, & Hitomi & Ryu. I'm thinking about trying Bayman ( I never used to like Bayman. He's grown on me a little bit). However, my point is once Kasumi is in your face, she's hard to get out. If you give yourself some spacing, it'll be easier to adapt to her & predict her moves. Hope that helps.

I totally agree with your thinking about keeping some distance and trying to wiff her out with bayman. However my biggest problem right now is when she has me pinned with my back against a wall.So, here is what happens: She starts her well-known PPPPP combo, you know, the one that starts with jabs and ends with an elbow. Now, in DOA4 when in the exact same situation, she ended her combo, i could and did cut her with 6P but in DOA5(ps3 version i dont know if it matters) whenever she pins me and ends the combo with me guarding i cant 6P out of it because she can somehow start it again.

The good thing about bayman's 6P in DOA4 was that if you blocked someones combo, afterwards you had sufficient time to hit them with it AND stagger them. So heres what im thinking. Either the speed property of the move changed in DOA5 and i just have to find a quicker punch to seal the deal OR Kasumi is broken in that particular situation and that would really, really suck.

Note that its not a combo like Hitomi's where some of the ending moves break you guard giving you a frame advantage!

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I agree with your thinking about keeping some distance and trying to wiff her out with bayman. However my biggest problem right now is when she has me pinned with my back against a wall.So, here is what happens: She starts her well-known PPPPP combo, you know, the one that starts with jabs and ends with an elbow. Now, in DOA4 when in the exact same situation, she ended her combo, i could and did cut her with 6P but in DOA5(ps3 version i dont know if it matters) whenever she pins me and ends the combo with me guarding i cant 6P out of it because she can somehow start it again.

The good thing about bayman's 6P in DOA4 was that if you blocked someones combo, afterwards you had sufficient time to hit them with it AND stagger them. So heres what im thinking. Either the speed property of the move changed in DOA5 and i just have to find a quicker punch to seal the deal OR Kasumi is broken in that particular situation and that would really, really suck.

Note that its not a combo like Hitomi's where some of the ending moves break you guard giving you a frame advantage!
Kasumi isn't broken. She's considered unsafe. She's a good character (I'd say mid tier. Just a temporary prediction. Too early to mention tiers), but not DOA4 good. That's why people are dropping her for another character. She's hard to master in this one. But they're foolish to let her go because once she is mastered, against a good player, they're in trouble

When spacing, to avoid being in the corner try circling around or sidestepping (new mechanic) by just pushing :2::2: or :8::8:. If she does happen to start a string of combos like :P::P::P::P: hold block & then try to counter. Remember, in order to counter in this game, it's a about timing, & you can still hold block & then counter.

Allan Paris

@Souichiro, if you have problems with playing against Kasumi ask Bayman players how to deal with whatever issues. This thread is for discussing her issues against other characters.

To answer your 1 question about that move and you're issue. You are playing online and the online for this game is trash. So you will never really get consistent play online. That string is safe coming from Kasumi and its also linear. But unless that last punch touches you on hit, she shouldn't be able to start that string over again freely. That sounds like some bullshit because you are blocking it and Kasumi is not at neutral if its blocked.

Again, go ask the Bayman players how to deal with it if you are not playing in lag.

Murakame

I totally agree with your thinking about keeping some distance and trying to wiff her out with bayman. However my biggest problem right now is when she has me pinned with my back against a wall.So, here is what happens: She starts her well-known PPPPP combo, you know, the one that starts with jabs and ends with an elbow. Now, in DOA4 when in the exact same situation, she ended her combo, i could and did cut her with 6P but in DOA5(ps3 version i dont know if it matters) whenever she pins me and ends the combo with me guarding i cant 6P out of it because she can somehow start it again.

PPPPP gives Kasumi no advantage whatsoever. I have no idea what you're doing if you cant begin an assault on her after you block that.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
PPPPP gives Kasumi no advantage whatsoever. I have no idea what you're doing if you cant begin an assault on her after you block that.
Yeah because it's not guaranteeing damage at all. Bayman's ground moves are more guaranteeing than that move. Way more guaranteed.

Souichiro

@Souichiro, if you have problems with playing against Kasumi ask Bayman players how to deal with whatever issues. This thread is for discussing her issues against other characters.
Yeah sorry i got carried away. Wont happen again :)

Thanks for the replies though you guys have been really helpful :)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD