8k combos

shinryu

on today's episode of touched by a bayman: shinryu learns the true value of friendship. and also how to do 130+ damage on one guess.

Seriously, are people aware of 8k and kp and how much ridiculous damage you can get from these guys? Because it's gross and unavoidable and may cause your opponent to question how a loving God could possibly create something like Bayman to punish them for their sins. Between 100 and 130 damage, pretty much unavoidable after possibly one hit, more usually two. A one guess combo for triple digits ain't too bad at all.

For the most part, the combo will look something like hold 3p, 8k, 8pp, p+k, then either delayed p+k to force tech (this is touchy, 8p may work better but it's hard to time this in general) or ground throw. Unfortunately, this combo suffers from the issue with Bayman's CB launch in that 3k 3p+k f+p generally won't connect properly. Technically the 8pp, p+k, p+k or 2f+p sequence will work off of any 8k hit, even raw, but a 17 frame high can be a bit difficult to use out in the open. You can also substitute kp for the 8k, but if you do or if 8k is the third hit in a combo you'll want to use 236p instead of 8pp then continue as normal as 8p will typically knock down at that point, the second p will whiff instead of launch and the combo is fucked.

Why is this so awesome? Once the 8k or kp hits, the opponent is screwed.* 8k causes an unholdable, backturned stun. If the opponent tries to stagger escape, they almost certainly cannot turn to block the 8pp in time. The cpu on fastest can, but in the rare case you find yourself fighting someone with that inhuman of a struggle response, feel free to use 236p, which should be unblockable. Bayman or Lei Fang might be able to struggle out and use a mid parry from backturned, but that's going to be very difficult for them. If the opponent doesn't struggle, this is actually good for them; 8pp will then connect as part of a combo, be subject to scaling, and reduce their inevitable damage considerably. The entire sequence I described, ending with ground throw, will net you about 103 (holy shit) points of damage on normal hit. If they stagger escape out of stun, however, they will eat the 8pp at full damage plus backturned revision, go up for exactly the same launch except with less damage revision as you've technically started a new combo, and so take closer to 130 (holy fucking shit) points of damage for the whole thing. (I think it's 84 for the 8pp, p+k, 2f+p plus whatever for the starter + 8k, around 38). This is a powerful sodomy to the confidence sphincter, the being punished for trying to play smart. And 130 damage.

To make things more confusing, kp does the same stun but it's shorter. On fastest, the CPU can guard 236p, but most humans should still eat 236p. The damage shouldn't be too much worse since you will have landed the k before the p. Of course, if they know they can struggle out and block they probably will. Backbreaker them for their trouble. This may also make them think they can do something about 8k stuns. This is good for you as I mentioned above.

TL;DR: hold 3p, 8k, 8pp, p+k, 2h+p. Pain and suffering for them, gleeful neck snapping for you.

*So here's the catch: first, of course is that these are high attacks. If you're using mid launchers after stuns consistently though hopefully this won't be too much of a problem.

More importantly, these attacks cause two slightly different stuns. In the case of 8k, the stun you want only happens if it catches the opponent while you're in closed stance (same feet forward, so you see your back and their front or vice versa). On a hold 3p stun you should have time to check this before 8k. If you happen to hit 8k in open stance, you'll get the same frames but the opponent will be pushed back further and you will whiff 236p or 8pp, which is bad. Whiffing 8p on its own is not so bad as you should be safe to stop the combo unless they'd like to walk into the second p or the offensive hold cancel; you can hit confirm 8p before committing to the second p, but the timing is tight to avoid whiffing the combo. So check (your stance) before you wreck (their shit).

I'm not 100% certain about the kp stun's requirements; I think that you want to hit this from open stance, as the k will change your stance to closed so p will then hit properly. So if you can stance check and you're in open and you'd still like to go for it kp may be the way to go. It's a little riskier as it's an extra opportunity to be held but you can always kk for a guaranteed ground throw or force tech. Once they eat one of these combos they will be highly encouraged to high or low hold to "safety."

Should you get the longer stumble stun, this isn't disastrous; you will not be able to combo but you will be able to run up on them with considerable advantage, and it will move them closer to the ever-looming wall. Running up will let you mix f+k, the 66p+k guard break, 66k, and of course 66f+p. Rolling up with 3p+k isn't a bad option either, as then you have hold 3p, guard break, and the roll throw. If the roll throw catches them from behind you should be able to force tech, which doesn't seem to work as well if it happens from the front. You may also be able to employ crouch dashes to get in close and have hold 3p, 3k, and 33f+p on tap. Need to test this more, but ideally this isn't going to happen. Shit happens in matches though so it's good to know your options.

Some additional notes:

Don't forget hold 3p changes your stance, so check after you hit, not before.

If memory serves, f+k will give you the limbo stun from closed stance. This means if you have 8k on tap you have the limbo stun on tap, so the opponent's choices are... poor, in this circumstance. 8k or f+k to 8pp/236p sucks however you slice it. In open you might be better off with 236p or 7k, but the kk/kp mixup isn't a bad deal. I think that kk will catch someone who tries to be cute with low holds.

Technically, 66p should work after 8k, but they can duck out of it. If you know they're going to stagger escape enough to get out of 8pp 66p should still catch them and give you a 236p launch, but again this is a nearly inhuman escape. However, after a kp it might be more preferable to use 66p+k for the guard break. Does 66p+k have any special back turned hit properties? I honestly don't know if it does. Might not be worth worrying about given most humans shouldn't be able to get out anyway.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Sidestepping into K solves the problem of open and closed stance as he will kick in a different direction.

Simply step in the correct direction to get the correct backturned setup.

Good to see you experimenting.

shinryu

Sidestepping into K solves the problem of open and closed stance as he will kick in a different direction.

Simply step in the correct direction to get the correct backturned setup.

Good to see you experimenting.

Thanks! I'll have to give that a shot; I'd tried just 8k from slightly off axis and it seemed like it screwed up the spacing, but I hadn't tried sidestep k. If this makes it totally reliable, I mean, Jesus, he can seriously take off 1/3rd to one-half a bar in one guess between this and 236p or he can take that 1/3 or a bar and force a tech. The people in the tier thread are clearly smoking some quality product. Or trolling, I can never really tell.

Local scene is sort of nonexistent (we like our fighting Virtua, evidently) so lab time is all I got other than online. But that's actually one of the nice things about DOA, I always feel a little more like I'm actually working out what to do with the character as opposed to basically cloning superior Japanese strategy worked out years ago. Sure this is old news to you of course.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Sort of, but other people have to discover things eventually. In DOA 4 I was the only one finding stuff for this guy, so it's nice to see others following along finally.

Souichiro

@Shinryu: Good stuff man! Good stuff!
I would prefer it if you used the icon format but i guess beggars can't be choosers :p
Funny thing how yesterday, while playing with a friend i was trying to figure out how to continue with the long distance 8k was giving me... It is a small world after all :D

shinryu

@Shinryu: Good stuff man! Good stuff!
I would prefer it if you used the icon format but i guess beggars can't be choosers :p
Funny thing how yesterday, while playing with a friend i was trying to figure out how to continue with the long distance 8k was giving me... It is a small world after all :D

Thanks; I got your PM by the way, edited that post. Like Rikuto said, the more of us in the lab the more cool tech we can sort out for Bayman as we keep working on it. The icons are just a bit of a pain to format I find and I type a lot (too much), so the number notation is faster. Sorry about that.

Regarding using the sidestep k: this works nicely (sidestep to their back), but there is a caveat. I can't get the sidestep k out any faster than 30 frames. Now, I was testing on pad, so maybe on my stick I can do better, but I can't imagine I can do better than 27 frames if I'm interpreting the frame data correctly. Practically this means there are a lot of stuns that this isn't guaranteed from. The CPU on fast can stagger escape a hold 3p stun and block the sidestep k, as an example, and that's a long stun. So, unfortunately, in a lot of cases you're going to still have to rely on 8k and the stance issue will still be there. Using kp should work from an open stance though, I'm pretty certain of that. If you have a long stun or your opponent just doesn't escape you're good.

However, this does give Bayman a nasty option from the sidestep game. Simply put, since for the most part you don't need to worry about sidestepping in specific directions like in VF, you should be able to always sidestep to their back to usually get the comboable version of the stun (usually, in that they may do something that changes their stance, so it's not completely reliable). Landing sidestep k to the 8pp p+k 2h+p should still do close to 100 damage.

As a final note, looks like 66p+k actually gives +3 advantage on hit if it hits back-turned. So it's not a terrible option especially after kp if they are sufficiently capable of stagger escaping to block your followup. Or 8k from open stance.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
No one in their right mind is going to be trying to stagger escape after the initial 3P stun. If they are that means you get a free launcher/stun extension from literally anything else. It removes the threat of the hold entirely.

shinryu

True. Some stuns just aren't going to be long enough to do anything but 8k however you slice it. Also, some people might learn to react to the evade, though then that's just an invite to hilarious throw punishment if they get trained. Is evade p any good? I actually never sidestep very often so I don't think I've used it.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
It's a launcher if they are stunned.

And of course, you can easily just cancel out of step and throw if you think they will try to "react" to the step. There are enough options to tilt the probability of success in your favor.

shinryu

Yep, that works out well. Ducking the sidestep is a bad idea and they can't stagger escape out of the sidestep p. And, yeah, i figured if they got twitchy and held upon seeing the evade animation that was just a license to throw them.

Couple of things:

1) Looks like the sidestep k is more reliable if you sidestep to Bayman's back, not the opponent's. Not sure why exactly this is. Edit: Ok, step to their front. Kick them in the face. This should work. I had thought it was dependent on Bayman's stance but it's entirely their stance.

2) Since you can reliably control the stun you'll get, this makes sidestep k an excellent choice for pressure after a 1k p+k or 1k force tech. It's safe except against grapplers at -6. And at +20, it should beat almost everyone but Christie and Kasumi, and even they have to respect sidestep 3p. Of course, you should mix up with DDT, 236k, all of that, but I can only imagine getting force teched from an 8k combo right into another 8k combo sucks very hard. That should be close to 80% damage give or take. The threat alone should open up your other options once they're on to it. I'm not sure if you can easily predict the correct sidestep direction on a force tech but I will figure it out. It's got to be readable from the ground, either from Bayman's stance as he hits p+k or more likely their specific lying down pose. Will update after I get that sorted out.

KidArk

Yep, that works out well. Ducking the sidestep is a bad idea and they can't stagger escape out of the sidestep p. And, yeah, i figured if they got twitchy and held upon seeing the evade animation that was just a license to throw them.

Couple of things:

1) Looks like the sidestep k is more reliable if you sidestep to Bayman's back, not the opponent's. Not sure why exactly this is. Edit: Ok, step to their front. Kick them in the face. This should work. I had thought it was dependent on Bayman's stance but it's entirely their stance.

2) Since you can reliably control the stun you'll get, this makes sidestep k an excellent choice for pressure after a 1k p+k or 1k force tech. It's safe except against grapplers at -6. And at +20, it should beat almost everyone but Christie and Kasumi, and even they have to respect sidestep 3p. Of course, you should mix up with DDT, 236k, all of that, but I can only imagine getting force teched from an 8k combo right into another 8k combo sucks very hard. That should be close to 80% damage give or take. The threat alone should open up your other options once they're on to it. I'm not sure if you can easily predict the correct sidestep direction on a force tech but I will figure it out. It's got to be readable from the ground, either from Bayman's stance as he hits p+k or more likely their specific lying down pose. Will update after I get that sorted out.

A lot of bayman's force techs well all of them off juggle got taken away I dunno what in the 1.03 patch caused this but my bayman bnbs have ceased to work due to this update. I remember TN saying you won't have to relearn your character but that's. Exactly what this patch is causing me to do with Bayman. Also this 8k combo which is one of my BnB doesn't work any more either also P+K, 1K , P+K force tech doesn't exist anymore either. Can someone explain why this is so ,like what in the patch causes. This also does anyone else have issues doing sorry I'm not sure the notation but while crouching 3P after broken S.T.F? I'd usually use this setup to get the launch , P+K , 1K force tech into whatever but this doesn't work anymore.

P1naatt1ke1tt0

A lot of bayman's force techs well all of them off juggle got taken away I dunno what in the 1.03 patch caused this but my bayman bnbs have ceased to work due to this update. I remember TN saying you won't have to relearn your character but that's. Exactly what this patch is causing me to do with Bayman. Also this 8k combo which is one of my BnB doesn't work any more either also P+K, 1K , P+K force tech doesn't exist anymore either. Can someone explain why this is so ,like what in the patch causes. This also does anyone else have issues doing sorry I'm not sure the notation but while crouching 3P after broken S.T.F? I'd usually use this setup to get the launch , P+K , 1K force tech into whatever but this doesn't work anymore.

As you know the patch is glitched. I think they mentioned that the lack of pseudo force-techs (for Helena mostly but others too I guess) is also a glitch... just wait until we get the repaired patch on February.

Or am I wrong here, somebody correct me in that case.

KidArk

Another stance dependant move is H+K , when you're both in the same stance you can use it for nice cb combo starters with 3 hits on Ch. I use 6PP H+K / 6KP, H+K ,7P cb combo. When you and your opponent are in different stances it grants a free launch off any CH with 4P+K into 6KP, 3K, 2T, 22T.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD