Can you consistently escape fastest SE setups?

Can you consistently escape fastest SE setups?

• Yes

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Most of the time

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Only sometimes

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • What's SE?

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters

Nereus

Standard Donor
I have a pretty hard time SE stuns myself.. if anyone here uses stick i'd be more than willing to accept any advice given.

RoboJoe

I have a pretty hard time SE stuns myself.. if anyone here uses stick i'd be more than willing to accept any advice given.

What you want to do is make sure you're not riding the gate. Go only as far as until you hear the click that registers the direction press. If you do that for each direction when spinning the stick, you'll be SEing faster.

Nereus

Standard Donor
What you want to do is make sure you're not riding the gate. Go only as far as until you hear the click that registers the direction press. If you do that for each direction when spinning the stick, you'll be SEing faster.

Ok cool.. ill remember that. Im about to head to the lab right now and test this.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Two :4862:s and you should be at fastest. However, in general I'm not able to reach fastest until the second stun in a threshold due to reacting to the initial stunning hit.

RoboJoe

Two :4862:s and you should be at fastest. However, in general I'm not able to reach fastest until the second stun in a threshold due to reacting to the initial stunning hit.

I think that pretty much applies to everyone. The only way you'll get fastest SE on the first stun is if they delay attacks for a long time to bait holds.

Good to know, thanks. So two successful SEs and you can SE at the fastest speed for the rest of the match. Do you need to ensure you register every direction when trying to SE or is it more about speed? Approximately how many rotations should it take?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
No, not for the rest of the match. The Stagger Escape bar was removed in DOA5. You have to SE every time you are put in a critical stun that allows you to SE. Previous SEs don't attribute to any future stun states anymore.

Do you need to ensure you register every direction when trying to SE or is it more about speed? Approximately how many rotations should it take?

In my testing it is a combination of the two, with a heavier reliance on speed. That's only because you have typically a 5-13 frame window in any given critical stun to apply it.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I think being able to stagger escape the initial stun from the first hit would be more feasible if the stagger escape was done in a similar manner to buffering holds when pressing buttons. This is especially effective with strings that don't need directional input when you're trying to do a string mix up.

This is something I thought of recently but haven't had the opportunity to actually test it, so I might do that during the next local casuals.

The main problem I see with this is that if you have to choose between buffering a stagger escape or holds. If you're some godly creature of Azgard, maybe you can do both, but I haven't met a person capable of doing that yet. I don't even know whether it's an effective application of both techniques or not.

No, not for the rest of the match. The Stagger Escape bar was removed in DOA5. You have to SE every time you are put in a critical stun that allows you to SE. Previous SEs don't attribute to any future stun states anymore.

In my testing it is a combination of the two, with a heavier reliance on speed. That's only because you have typically a 5-13 frame window in any given critical stun to apply it.
Thanks. I'm slowly improving at it. SE from a sit down stun in time is still out of reach.

Most of the time.

I practice it with this setup: CPU Rig in training > Bending Stance KK6K > P+K (Critical Burst). If you block the CB this means you escaped on fastest and really useful to try to consistently nail it.
Very helpful, thanks. I'd been recreating the first tutorial lesson on it. I can't do the one from knockdown on arcade stick yet.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD