System Cancellable hold bug in DOA3 & DOA2U?

WAZAAAAA

I've finally caught on camera this extremely rare bug that lets me somehow cancel holds in the middle of them super fast. I swear I've had this happen in both DOAO and DOA3(EU). I can't reproduce it, but as far as I remember it seems to occur with low holds mostly. It's so rare that I get to see it like once a year lol

So did this ever happen to anyone else?
https://streamable.com/cicj7

usagiZ

This bug has happened to me quite a few times! Nice that you got an instance of it recorded~

I think I've also seen it in both doa2u and doa3. Tends to happen to me when there are lots of :2: and :1: / :3: inputs just before / just after I do a low hold. (Though I also haven't been able to intentionally reproduce it)

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
*benderneat.jpg*

I know it's a bug but I kind of like how the tightened up animation looks. The default failed hold animation since DOA1 looks awkward to me to this day.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Is the bug that you never have a frame for the hold though you hear the hold sound effect, and instead are in crouch guard?

WAZAAAAA

Is the bug that you never have a frame for the hold though you hear the hold sound effect, and instead are in crouch guard?
the bug is that I'm outright cancelling a low hold instantly into... something (crouch blocking? free stepping?)
the hold definitely happens since we can hear the voice and Hitomi even opens her mouth for a frame in the video

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Yeah, I'm wondering if it's the same thing as what's in DOA5 where you are cancelling moves on accident. Where you input something and the system gets confused like an option select. Probably happening moreso online due to packet loss but your game says 0% packet loss.

ryu_highabusa

The original command to (free) step into the foreground and background was :2::2::F: and :8::8::F:, maybe this is related to that input? See the bottom right side of this poster? Maybe it was just :8::F: but I always hit :8::8: out of habit.

ORsC1.jpg

Then when it was ported to consoles, they introduced it so that you could move freely with the analog stick in addition to this free-stepping input. Then they took it out of 3 and just let you free step. So something's going on with either leftover code or something involving this input is my guess.

DOA gets weird when multiple different inputs hit like with macros. Like the software considers the P+K macro different than actually hitting P and K together, right? Or did I read that wrong somewhere before?

Last edited:

WAZAAAAA

Yeah, I'm wondering if it's the same thing as what's in DOA5 where you are cancelling moves on accident. Where you input something and the system gets confused like an option select. Probably happening moreso online due to packet loss but your game says 0% packet loss.
It's an actual DOA bug that has nothing to do with the online since both me and usagiZ had it happen on DOA3 too which is 100% offline. It's unrelated with the online 'cuz high latency/packet loss get you disconnected/desynced at most, and I wasn't spectating so no weird spectator-related lags happened either.

The original command to (free) step into the foreground and background was :2::2::F: and :8::8::F:, maybe this is related to that input? See the bottom right side of this poster? Maybe it was just :8::F: but I always hit :8::8: out of habit.

ORsC1.jpg

Then when it was ported to consoles, they introduced it so that you could move freely with the analog stick in addition to this free-stepping input. Then they took it out of 3 and just let you free step. So something's going on with either leftover code or something involving this input is my guess.

DOA gets weird when multiple different inputs hit like with macros. Like the software considers the P+K macro different than actually hitting P and K together, right? Or did I read that wrong somewhere before?
interesting, thanks for the picture too
yeah you can definitely do some weird stuff when you mix macros and regular buttons. For example, in DOA5LR when you hold P and mash the macro P+K, P+K rarely registers

Last edited:

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
in DOA5LR when you hold P and mash the macro P+K, P+K rarely registers

I believe in that case the game registers "Punch is being pressed" and thus pressing P+K while holding down P means the system just registers the same as if you were pressing K. It's just registering "Kick is being pressed and punch is still being held down". If P+K rarely registers, then it's only at the times the system thinks you're no longer holding P.

WAZAAAAA

the system thinks you're no longer holding P.
but why though
also the command history actually shows P+K being mashed... AND behaves erratically, resetting continuously... it's hard to explain but the devs clearly didn't put much thought into that situation

Last edited:

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
It functions in the way that it measures P+P+K.

Also the input display system isn't the same system as the input recognition system. The input display doesn't show any buttons that are already being held at time of update. The display only shows when a button state is changed from NOT PRESSED to PRESSED.

The input recognition system keeps track of what buttons are being held down and for how long. For example a Power Blow displays as just one time being pressed even if you charge it, but the system recognizes when you are holding and releasing the buttons.

This is very common in game development.

WAZAAAAA

It functions in the way that it measures P+P+K.

Also the input display system isn't the same system as the input recognition system. The input display doesn't show any buttons that are already being held at time of update. The display only shows when a button state is changed from NOT PRESSED to PRESSED.

The input recognition system keeps track of what buttons are being held down and for how long. For example a Power Blow displays as just one time being pressed even if you charge it, but the system recognizes when you are holding and releasing the buttons.

This is very common in game development.
it doesn't matter how much we try to make sense of the behavior, in DOA it's erratic, not solid, try that yourself
https://streamable.com/4n8zb

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD