Opinion: Stellar Blade Raises Old Questions

The marketing of Stellar Blade has not only been genius, but it has created a compelling conversation to bring back sexualized content to the West. Dead or Alive has always been at the center of this discussion. It’s impossible to ignore it and this is the way it’s always been for both serious and casual players of the game.

Zakkurye & Punishere had been at the forefront of a battle pertaining to this topic across social media that went on and on for several days. It’s a battle of not only the game controversy but has shown the defined split within the community. The debate has not been pretty to say the least. What are your thoughts pertaining to this debate and also Stellar Blade and the hope that it is instilling to some gamers out there with censorship getting in the way of their entertainment.

Emery Reigns did a great job of taking all of this controversy and tying it up into one great video with a few disagreeable guests that provide their insights as well. The disagreeable guests went on to say that you should go play the volleyball game if you want sex appeal which is odd to me as sexualization is one of the four pillars of the Dead or Alive franchise. Every pillar is protected by Team NINJA's firewall and I myself have never found the sex appeal in Dead or Alive to be distasteful or gross. The most debatable thing about the sex appeal are the physics which can be fine-tuned to your liking in the best fighting game ever made; Dead or Alive 5.

Dead or Alive Xtreme: Venus Vacation has once again (through numbers and interest of characters) shown what the market for Dead or Alive desires. There are some oddities to the game such as the new Kitsune Venus, Shizuku or the Yokai Kanna or even Nyo-Tengu that will make some purists shake... but even this title is more subject to Maxim magazine compared to the provocative vulgarity of other titles in the video game market. Overall, it would be nice if both interests would consider one another better because the DOA fighting game does need competitive players just as much as it needs casuals that are more connected to the storylines and characters specifically.

The conversation has been stimulated by the emergence of Stellar Blade, and the developers have fully embraced it and have gotten maximized advertising for an otherwise average looking game from a mechanical standpoint. Now that developers are seeing the ratio you can expect that games like Dead or Alive and SC will continue their old values once more without fear.

Current Banner by @Lorenzo Buti whom can be followed here at FSD & Twitter!

Last edited:
I've seen what Zakurye had said pertaining to what DOA7 should do which I think is basically censor it and return it to DOA5's former glory with no meter. I don't mind the no meter thing, but I think at this point DOA should just focus on their game and not try to censor their products anymore. If MK1 is any indication and SF6 as well, fans and the community are definitely now open to more sexiness and more casual type appeal. MK1 imo is doing themselves a disservice since the fans all want the pre MKX stuff back, whether that be the more revealing yet badass costumes the girls used to wear and not trying to bring them back redesigned and less flashy than their original designs like Li Mei and Nitara who got the MKD and MKDA costumes back but toned down so much they don't even really resemble their old looks anymore.

I haven't played or seen Stellar Blade but I think they're at least doing something right since they designed the characters or the females in particular in a fantasy type way that doesn't seem like they wanted to appease or hide the character's sex appeal, I see nothing wrong with sexy fantasy based characters if the main game is still engaging, that's what made games like Nier Automata, DOAX3, Soul Calibur, and even Street Fighter fun since pretty much everyone has a great design that's both cool, sexy, and less like they had to cut corners for the SJWs.

I actually wish MK would learn that since they're losing alot of fans with how bad their support is and how hit or miss their content is, I won't be surprised if the game winds up being dead after the last DLC character is dropped like their other games post MK9, they always seem to jump ship and move on when they know their content or support is beyond repair

I personally don't care about fan service or even censoring as long as it doesn't take away from the experience and game's potential imo, like Kasumi's fully clothed DOA6 default imo didn't bother me since it was nicely designed and fit her despite what most casuals would say, but it's a different story when comparing it to say Tekken's Cyber bodysuit pack which has a bad design imo

The reaction that Zakkurye's tweet received was exactly the kind of thing I was referring to when I asked the question "Do DOA fans deserve a new game?"

People are sending him death threats and making remarks about his race over a mild suggestion he made. Regardless of whether or not one agrees with Zakkurye's statement, this is not a good look for DOA fans as a whole.

If Team Ninja or Koei Tecmo somehow develop the impression that "this is what the DOA fanbase outside of Japan is like", then they'll be far less likely to take anything that fanbase has to say seriously.

Since when did Zakkurye became my voice? The problem is that the people who has "accomplishments" gets to be heard. Here I am watching people come and go in the doa community and I have no leg to stand on because I m not as a decorated veteran as the tournament players. Even if I shout my lungs out, they are too high up for them to even notice me.

Anywho, I dont have any problems with Stellar Blade when it comes to fanservice but a nagging voice at the back of my head is saying, "this is just too good to be true!" I m in the surreal world where being woke became the norm and devs nickle and dime us with price gouging and regional pricing. So I m playing the waiting game for now. I mean the demo looks promising but let see what the finish product has to offer.

Last edited:
Since when did Zakkurye became my voice? The problem is that the people who has "accomplishments" gets to be heard. Here I am watching people come and go in the doa community and I have no leg to stand on because I m not as a decorated veteran as the tournament players. Even if I shout my lungs out, they are too high up for them to even notice me.

Anywho, I dont have any problems with Stellar Blade when it comes to fanservice but a nagging voice at the back of my head is saying, "this is just too good to be true!" I m in the surreal world where being woke became the norm and devs nickle and dime us with price gouging and regional pricing. So I m playing the waiting game for now. I mean the demo looks promising but let see what the finish product has to offer.

We love you here, Prinny! Always remember that your voice DOES mean something.

Its quite sad that he supposed to represent the DOA community as a whole. All I can say is he is now a SF shill now. You know that same game where everyone believed a sold out pedophile in EVO? Yeah we supposed to cowtow to him cuz core values right?

I cant speak for everyone here but tbh I m tired. Tired of getting nagged since 2015 on what I m supposed to be offended at. All I wanna do is play and have fun with everyone.

Oh really? What about that tournament player who is a Chun Li main in sf who forgot to turn his nude mod off? I guess thats a pass yes? I cant lie either I love fanservice too. People have forgotten what put doa on the map. That and the numerous people I met along the way. Its really easy to make screencaps of the characters only wearing nothing but socks but to make them funny is what I ve been doing all this time.

I dont like people from other fighting games looking down on me so I took the fight to them! So far I ve been making friends with the SC and Tekken community! They werent laughing any more when I decimated them.

Last edited:
I'm gonna watch what I say since I'm not at all coming for Zak for his tweet or anything(last time I tried defending a high level DOA player, they wound up more electrifyingly mad at me vs the person who was insulting them all of that high level Helena/Kokoro player's personal insecurity with me saying they could be gay/bi as a defence for their more provocative costume preferences) but I think it's likely best for us just to sit conversations like this out since DOA players are always gonna be the red head step child in terms of our opinions

I will say his tweet went viral but I kinda think it's a stretch for him to make a video about the situation saying he's suddenly the most hated DOA player. I think his tweet going viral is good since it starts a discussion but I don't think he should suddenly want to seem like the black sheep of the DOA community because of this, I dislike when popular content creators try to go that route over one simple viral tweet that garnered backlash. I don't think Zak is going to suffer much from this, if anything his thoughts create room for a healthy discussion although I don't think the death threats are needed and the negativity for his justified thoughts

DOA fans take digital boobs way too serious, meanwhile nobody takes DOA serious. Its a lame and strange world lol.
Imo it's even the same for the gay side of the DOA community too. There's players who will always scoff and act above the xtreme and Venus Vacation series, but let it be their favorite hairy DOA male, or let it be the male cast, you wouldn't hear any whining from them, it's always gonna be vice versa hypocritical stuff like that in the community.

Here is another thing. What if I did like stellar blade? Would I still be classified as a degenerate or a pervert? I ve been wearing the "Hi I am a pervert! Bite me!" shirt since I love doa for god knows how long.

Anywho, there is really a lot of layers to unpack here. So if you wanna stay awhile and listen you know where to find me.

Last edited:
Stellar Blade were made by people that knows what makes females attractive, along what makes them profits (plus their previous work is Goddess of Victory: NIKKE), and Stellar Blade had been attacked by Games Journalist, & People who dislike attractive female characters that is found on X/Twitter. Stellar Blade is more of what females characters were like years ago before political correctness/activists took over the game industry via Games Journalist (which are getting laid off & some getting shut down), Localizations, Investors, and Consulting Companies (for example Sweet Baby Inc). Western Companies were busy giving us these lovely images of "females":

Western Females 1.jpg

Western Females 2.jpg

Real-life Models tend to look far better than Western Videogame Models, and Stellar Blade uses the same technology as how Western Companies create their character models but far better utilized.

Stellar Blade Model.jpg

Which looks close with slight modifications to make the videogame model look appealing, and at the same time to not 100% being exactly like the real-life actress (for legal reasons).

When it comes to interviews, this video alone demonstrates of the developers not being too shy about making females attractive despite the "broader cultural situation" (which are just overly sensitive people from Journalist & X/Twitter Users that hate attractive female characters):

They don't just say things but also deliver these costumes at 1:13 & 1:37:

For the whole Zakkurye controversy, his tweet is 1. A contradiction suggesting DOA7 stick to DOA5 winning formula (which the costumes are overt sexualization from base game, DLCs, & Breast Movement introduced from DOA5+) while at the same time says "dial back on the overt sexualization of the female cast" (which would take away what made DOA5 the winning formula especially DLC Business Model), 2. Is just repeat what DOA6 tried to do which got them backlash during development (which is dial back on overt sexualization of female cast), and 3. He is pretty much the DOA Player version of Shimbori (which both would plan on toning sexualization of females down just to get recognized in FGC events) which if I were to be harsh these 2 people are nothing but a bad fits as representation/champion of the DOA franchise, if they want their competitive scene recognize by FGC/eSports senpai then they should asking for a 2nd Fighting Game that plays like DOA but removes the DOA cast, takes place in a different universe that doesn't involve DOA, and isn't called Dead or Alive.

I've got something to type later with Emeryreign video and few videos that is going to be a bit too long.

DOA fans take digital boobs way too serious, meanwhile nobody takes DOA serious. Its a lame and strange world lol.
Why would they take it seriously when you look at its fanbase?

That goes for the FGC at large. Nothing but lolcows and clowns.

Why would they take it seriously when you look at its fanbase?

That goes for the FGC at large. Nothing but lolcows and clowns.

Yeah, but the problem with this argument is that at one point it was taken seriously. I felt personally like 5 was a massive turning point for the franchise and people were excited for tournaments. I also believe that fan service was done as well as it could be done on the budget they had.

Yeah, but the problem with this argument is that at one point it was taken seriously. I felt personally like 5 was a massive turning point for the franchise and people were excited for tournaments. I also believe that fan service was done as well as it could be done on the budget they had.
A game that has Private Paradise videos, extremely revealing bikinis combined with sexy babes, being able to jiggle boobs with sixaxis controls on PlayStation, etc if anything 5 made the stigma surrounding DOA even worse. It's hard for people to take it seriously on a competitive level when you have that kind of fanservice in your game.

And note that Shimbori and co wanted DOA5 to be a "serious" esports fighting game. The marketing reflected that direction.

But the game failed because of it as that's not why people play DOA in the first place. Then they pivoted towards fanservice to make money from the series.

It cannot be overstated how little the competitive scene matters for the success of this series. You people are in a total minority. And with a total lack of commu0nity direction and involvement, everyone's gone. The only person trying anything these days to keep things going are Awesmic's streams he does every other night.

Nobody stays to play DOA5 anymore, which is very telling. That's why I always call bullshit on the people who claim 5 is such a good game. Oh really, then where are you guys playing it? Where are you organizing weekly tournaments and such? I guess it ain't that great.

Compare to VF, which is just as small and niche as it is, they are still organizing events and playing the games. There's an actual strong faithful group of people that play and support the series. DOA is practically abandoned except for the doll house simulator.

Last edited:
So you’re saying that the fan service made it worse? Well that’s very telling because DOA5 did the best numbers for tournaments in the process of it being the most perverse. Which is the argument that was made.

How long have you been playing DOA out of curiosity?

So you’re saying that the fan service made it worse? Well that’s very telling because DOA5 did the best numbers for tournaments in the process of it being the most perverse. Which is the argument that was made.

No. I am saying the overt fanservice just further entrenched the stigma surrounding DOA as being nothing more than a shallow casual titty fighter.

It cannot be overstated how little the competitive scene matters for the success of this series. You people are in a total minority. And with a total lack of commu0nity direction and involvement, everyone's gone. The only person trying anything these days to keep things going are Awesmic's streams he does every other night.
That's not true Rob, and you know it. Hoodless, Nunchaku, Beely, Hades, DynamicJaguar, L2D, DiGrom on the EU side, and Iwatengu/YeSU in Japan are among others who are still doing their part to this day with the time they can make for it, which understandably may vary.

Just because you don't see them doing it as frequently lately doesn't mean they've quit trying, much less haven't been trying at all.

Well....uhhh....according to this doa5lr bug,

© Valve Corporation. All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners in the US and other countries.
Some geospatial data on this website is provided by geonames.org.
Privacy Policy | Legal | Steam Subscriber Agreement | Cookies
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3224504384

Its my first day! Please go easy on me. >.<

Game aside, the only thing I installed was the play online app from the doa5lr guides. I guess it has a side effect.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD