Opinion: Stellar Blade Raises Old Questions

The marketing of Stellar Blade has not only been genius, but it has created a compelling conversation to bring back sexualized content to the West. Dead or Alive has always been at the center of this discussion. It’s impossible to ignore it and this is the way it’s always been for both serious and casual players of the game.

Zakkurye & Punishere had been at the forefront of a battle pertaining to this topic across social media that went on and on for several days. It’s a battle of not only the game controversy but has shown the defined split within the community. The debate has not been pretty to say the least. What are your thoughts pertaining to this debate and also Stellar Blade and the hope that it is instilling to some gamers out there with censorship getting in the way of their entertainment.

Emery Reigns did a great job of taking all of this controversy and tying it up into one great video with a few disagreeable guests that provide their insights as well. The disagreeable guests went on to say that you should go play the volleyball game if you want sex appeal which is odd to me as sexualization is one of the four pillars of the Dead or Alive franchise. Every pillar is protected by Team NINJA's firewall and I myself have never found the sex appeal in Dead or Alive to be distasteful or gross. The most debatable thing about the sex appeal are the physics which can be fine-tuned to your liking in the best fighting game ever made; Dead or Alive 5.

Dead or Alive Xtreme: Venus Vacation has once again (through numbers and interest of characters) shown what the market for Dead or Alive desires. There are some oddities to the game such as the new Kitsune Venus, Shizuku or the Yokai Kanna or even Nyo-Tengu that will make some purists shake... but even this title is more subject to Maxim magazine compared to the provocative vulgarity of other titles in the video game market. Overall, it would be nice if both interests would consider one another better because the DOA fighting game does need competitive players just as much as it needs casuals that are more connected to the storylines and characters specifically.

The conversation has been stimulated by the emergence of Stellar Blade, and the developers have fully embraced it and have gotten maximized advertising for an otherwise average looking game from a mechanical standpoint. Now that developers are seeing the ratio you can expect that games like Dead or Alive and SC will continue their old values once more without fear.

Current Banner by @Lorenzo Buti whom can be followed here at FSD & Twitter!

Last edited:
That's not true Rob, and you know it. Hoodless, Nunchaku, Beely, Hades, DynamicJaguar, L2D, DiGrom on the EU side, and Iwatengu/YeSU in Japan are among others who are still doing their part to this day with the time they can make for it, which understandably may vary.

Just because you don't see them doing it as frequently lately doesn't mean they've quit trying, much less haven't been trying at all.
It is true.

The ONLY person in your list that was trying to keep things alive was Hoodless. And now he's forced to do monthlies with XFS. Everybody else is only interested in themselves, like Emery, and don't care.

Lol @ you bringing up DynamicFaguar who blocks anybody better than him, toxic towards other players he perceives as weaker and is generally a piece of garbage.

DiGrom streaming to an audience of 0.

But who is left currently in DOA6 isn't my point. My point was largely directed to people like Zakkurye.

Lol @ you bringing up DynamicFaguar who blocks anybody better than him, toxic towards other players he perceives as weaker and is generally a piece of garbage.

I dunno if you and I fought the same guy, but that's not the DJ I know. It's most likely you were provoking him, and you got too comfortable until he responded in a way you didn't like.

And even if what you're saying is true, you're aware that you're calling out DJ for belittling weaker players while simultaneously belittling DiGrom's efforts at streaming DOA6, despite his consistency? Don't you see the irony of what you posted?

It is true.

The ONLY person in your list that was trying to keep things alive was Hoodless. And now he's forced to do monthlies with XFS. Everybody else is only interested in themselves, like Emery, and don't care.

But who is left currently in DOA6 isn't my point. My point was largely directed to people like Zakkurye.
Here you are again, trying to tear down other people in the community who are actually trying to create content for the game and maintain interest.

What makes YOU better than Emery? He has a significant following and seems to be able to bridge the gap between DOA players and Tekken players - I suspect you envy his success.

Here you are again, trying to tear down other people in the community who are actually trying to create content for the game and maintain interest.

What makes YOU better than Emery? He has a significant following and seems to be able to bridge the gap between DOA players and Tekken players - I suspect you envy his success.
Emery is the perfect example of all that's wrong. All he cares about is pushing his own "brand" and promoting his own "content". It is entirely ego driven. Also remember its the FGC, the C is for Community. This is something NA players just don't understand and why I think the FGC is a fucking joke.

And Emery is one of the people that contributed to DOA6's demise in the "community". Its hilariously ironic you coming to his defense. In fact I don't know if there is anyone as influential in the DOA scene that has done more damage to that game than he has. He constantly bitches about it nonstop when he plays it. His whole personality around DOA6 is hating it. And so little by little his influence their viewers to not like the game. And if you do like the game? He calls you a "bitch". And what a surprise, fewer people want to watch games that they do not like. All the other NA DOA6 streamers (outside Hoodless) were constantly negative and their chats just validate what they say on an endless feedback loop.

He's an infantile manchild with a shit personality and attitude.

Come on guys, there's no need to fight. The consequences aren't worth it, I can attest to that.

Emery is the perfect example of all that's wrong. All he cares about is pushing his own "brand" and promoting his own "content". It is entirely ego driven. Also remember its the FGC, the C is for Community. This is something NA players just don't understand and why I think the FGC is a fucking joke.

And Emery is one of the people that contributed to DOA6's demise in the "community". Its hilariously ironic you coming to his defense. In fact I don't know if there is anyone as influential in the DOA scene that has done more damage to that game than he has. He constantly bitches about it nonstop when he plays it. His whole personality around DOA6 is hating it. And so little by little his influence their viewers to not like the game. And if you do like the game? He calls you a "bitch". And what a surprise, fewer people want to watch games that they do not like. All the other NA DOA6 streamers (outside Hoodless) were constantly negative and their chats just validate what they say on an endless feedback loop.

Tbf I don't think you have to say those things Emery. Emery tried to bring attention to DOA but it's hard when the latest version is so controversial, and he's given the game countless chances. I think he's also been an avid promoter even of 6++ mod that makes the game alot more playable without the meter.

Emery has a right imo to complain about the game if he doesn't like, he's at least trying to give it a chance and play it for people who may like 6, but he supports the DOA series as a whole, always has especially DOA5 and even older titles that were made easier to play.

My opinion is that you are quick to discredit others. His online tournaments alone were bringing a lot of attention to the game. He doesn't always shit on it either; I'm just confused how you document and disperse information. You can't do it with half-truths, my friend.

100% pre-ordered Stellar Blade here.

On the topic of that whole situation, I feel like this war has been going on for ages where it's more apparent now with social media. This type of situation also happened in DOA5 days (specifically vanilla that was less wild) but the voices weren't as spread all over compared to now. Now we have Twitter, Reddit, and Youtube that quadriples DOA's social presence in both good and bad in terms of narrative. The more I dug into it, the more I see how deep that rabbit hole is. Honestly the DOA6 situation is what genuinely sparked most of it where both sides of casual and competitive are looking for something to point out because majority are feeling left out due to Tekken being the main ones on stage.

The competitive side situation was mostly mentioned by Zakkurye whom I truly believe didn't make the post with ill intent. He did speak to me in a discord VC where he was giving me his own thoughts on what he meant with the post. Most of the backlash he received was due to the post being taken out of context and were too emotionally invested, least the crazy posts that is.

Emery Reigns joins the conversation!
Boo hoo, you're not getting enough booba in your vidya gaems.

Jesus Christ, I'm a MGTOW who loves dunking on people who just wanna assign guilt to people who don't stroke your fucking ego over digital boobies.

And besides, Zak was saying that the game shouldn't have to be too sexy or too casual, but have a balance of casual and comp. But not to you. To you, nuance doesn't exist in this community whatsoever and we're all guinea pigs. Well, I ain't.

Meanwhile in Youtube!

If I post any more, my dad jokes, puns per minute, and cringe will go out of control. Its like opening a Pandora's box! Here I ll give you a free one! They are still wearing clothes. XP

Boo hoo, you're not getting enough booba in your vidya gaems.

Jesus Christ, I'm a MGTOW who loves dunking on people who just wanna assign guilt to people who don't stroke your fucking ego over digital boobies.

And besides, Zak was saying that the game shouldn't have to be too sexy or too casual, but have a balance of casual and comp. But not to you. To you, nuance doesn't exist in this community whatsoever and we're all guinea pigs. Well, I ain't.

To call you a guinea pig would entail that you have a use or purpose, and blind angry Twitter rants don't count as such. I'm allowed to disagree with "dialing it back" but I've also shown that I understand his take just fine, especially in comparison to other people that interacted with his post.

(Ahem.) Ok, disagreeing is ok, but death threats against OP and just saying "DOA can only do fanservice without being competitive." are not.
Nobody with the exception of a few random people that nobody knows on Twitter ever thought that was okay to say. Almost every post you go for here is a pathetic attempt at trashing me and you contribute nothing to this site or to DOA as a whole.

Why bother? Why waste your time? I’ve been around for over a decade; do you really think you can deter me or take me off my course? You can’t boo boo.

Why bother? Why waste your time? I’ve been around for over a decade; do you really think you can deter me or take me off my course?
Aw, I think I hit a nerve. All I'm hearing is how butthurt you are, and I laugh in your face when you try to make it about you. Get memed on for the buffoon you are, nothing more, nothing less.

Cuz when I "have nothing to contribute", at least I don't grandstand about it and expect people to follow a standard that only you made up.

Also, being over a decade doesn't mean a whole lot if you're too thin-skinned to handle a few dissenters without a stroke.

Aw, I think I hit a nerve. All I'm hearing is how butthurt you are, and I laugh in your face when you try to make it about you. Get memed on for the buffoon you are, nothing more, nothing less.

Cuz when I "have nothing to contribute", at least I don't grandstand about it and expect people to follow a standard that only you made up.

Also, being over a decade doesn't mean a whole lot if you're too thin-skinned to handle a few dissenters without a stroke.

Oh please enlighten us! What have you contributed here since April of 2023?! Please share in front of the class and I want a generous helping of details and sources if you please. Me? Lets just say I m just passing through!

A few? Please let me know the standard that I "made up." I'd love to hear it.

(Ahem.) Ok, disagreeing is ok, but death threats against OP and just saying "DOA can only do fanservice without being competitive." are not.

This hit the nerve the hardest because it's almost like you are pedantically throwing me into this category. There were two braindead nitwits on Twitter that said that and not a single right-minded person condoned it or brought it here to FSD.

My advice to you is to grow up and do better. What you're trying to do is not working. Nobody is rallying behind you or encouraging your bs.

@Kasumi-Phase-X

Get a load of this trash

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/stellar-blade-ps5-review-1235005926/

She’s a vassal onto which overly sexualized violence is projected.

LMAO

Bayonetta, ludicrously designed as she is, isn’t just sexy, she’s sexual — having ownership of her looks and mannerisms in ways that ooze self-esteem.
What consists of her characterizations swings wildly between whatever scenario she’s placed in. Sometimes, she’s a completely helpless fawn in need of rescue, completely devoid of agency. Other times, she’s an unstoppable killing machine who can pull off gravity defying displays of viscera against behemoth abominations without breaking a sweat. Sometimes, she’s over it all and moody. Others, she’s a nurturing messianic figure helping bring humanity together by solving their day-to-day struggles.
but it stands out starkly when every female character, from iffy-aged NPCs

WTF??! Who fucking pays these people to write? LKiterally plagarizing something Anita SNARKeesian would have rwrote

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD