Dead or alive 5, rage quiting and score

target1995

So rage quitting has been around since the first video game, and makes no exception for dead or alive. many people do it to keep their winning streak, but more do it because they're mad (hence the rage in rage quitting). in dead or alive 4 if you quit early then you lost a 1000 points, didn't stop anyone. i myself did it a few times, we all have, but i can not stand those people who do it every time they lose. i won't call anyone out like nicole (<3 u). it just irritates me that they get so pissy and leave so how can they help even it out when someone quits?
1) give the other player the amount of points they would have earned
the only problem with that are the people who noob for points, easy points have a friend join a game a quit a lot. how can you fix this? maybe give them a set number of times with a certain person in a period of time, or only give them the points if they are actually close to winning like with two rounds won
2) if you quit you get marked done a whole grade (A+ to A, not A+ to B+)
Problem: what if you have a good reason for quitting IE: you disconnected, you had an emergence, had to go run an errand. also what if you are a very high A+ and about to be an S its not fair to take you ALL THE WAY back to A.
Any ideas on how to stop rage quitting?

Scoring: this one what be as long, just a simple question. should the scoring be like doaD where there was S- or Doa4 where there was only S and SS.

Raansu

Do what MvC3 does. Tally the % of quits you have and match you with other rage quitters.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Ranks, while they don't mean much, do give you a basic spectrum from which you can judge your opponents likely behavior patterns. It is because of this I prefer they left that part intact.

When someone rage quits they should simply have their entire win streak reset, and take a loss like they normally would had they lost.

No need for anything more complicated then that, unless you want to take it a step further and lock them out of games for a set period of time as a penalty for being a douchebag.

Raansu

Humorous though it is, I don't think anyone actually uses quick-match for DOA 4.

Doesn't it only show you quitters even if you dont use quick match? I'm not too familiar with MvC3's system, I just recall reading about the feature and I thought it was great/hilarious lol.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
It's been a while since I played, so I wouldn't know for sure...

I also make it a point not to rage quit... so... /shrug?

target1995

for rage quiting i thought that maybe they could just get rid of the option to quit, and as for the problem if you get stuck in a game with someone who keeps beating you
IE: an S ranking off a C
they could just put a quit option on the character select screen

Raansu

for rage quiting i thought that maybe they could just get rid of the option to quit, and as for the problem if you get stuck in a game with someone who keeps beating you
IE: an S ranking off a C
they could just put a quit option on the character select screen

People will just power off their system then.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
yea people either power their system off, or dashboard out.

Those are the popular methods for boosting.

Berzerk!

Quitting is spelled with two T's.

Ranking systems, like it or not, drive player interest. Penalties like handing a loss to the quitter and putting their quit % into a match finding algorithm are both good ideas. The ranking system itself needs some balancing, like the ability to regain a chunk of points lost when you beat someone who recently beat you. Some of the points penalties were over the top even for relatively close grades, it would be good to be able to mitigate that by balancing similarly skilled players towards the middle as they play each other and trade wins.

It would be more important to discuss online features we want to see, right? DOA has been a pioneering game in this respect but a lot of games have caught up, so what would we want to see?

- Anti rage quit measures as per the topic
- Balanced ranking system
- Ability to see a players recent stats/win/loss/vs you etc - combine DOAU and DOA4 lobby options
- DOAU style lobby (DOA4 optional if desired)
- Ability to kick/bump players
- Ability to create a sparring/training mode session online
- Ability to send replays to other players and upload to Youtube
- Improved Spectator/tournament organiser mode/features

Others?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Man, just think about how good the online community would be if there was no ranking system and it all went by word of mouth by how good you were.

Yeah... I'm a fan of that.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Quitting is spelled with two T's.
And to make something plural, you add "s" or "es" depending on the situation but not an apostrophe followed by "s."
You also shouldn't start sentences with prepositions like I just did, haha.

Ranking systems, like it or not, drive player interest.
Agreed, which is why I don't think Mr. Wah's idea below works.

Man, just think about how good the online community would be if there was no ranking system and it all went by word of mouth by how good you were.
Then you have a situation where someone will claim and get enough people to believe that they've mastered a game and that no one could touch them.

I think the best route to go would just to return to the DOA2U style online system but make a few small changes.

How annoying were people dashboarding to keep their streak? Make it so that your streak is limited to your current online session only. Meaning if you back out to the regular offline mode menus, your streak resets. So, if you dashboard, you'll also be at that main menu and thus have your streak reset.

How annoying was it to get stuck in a one on one lobby with someone significantly better than you and they refused to let you leave? If it gets down to only having two people in a room, allow anyone to leave from that point.

I also liked a few of Berzerk's suggestions, such as:
- Ability to see a players recent stats/win/loss/vs you etc - combine DOAU and DOA4 lobby options
- Ability to create a sparring/training mode session online
- Ability to send replays to other players and upload to Youtube
- Improved Spectator/tournament organiser mode/features
Being able to create little dojos online and have people come and learn from other people is a great idea. Even let other people spectate these sessions, it'd be awesome. Just make it like picking from one of the different match types and make the usual training mode info available during these sessions.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Why are you guys making it complicated?

Just give em a loss if they disconnect.

Seriously why the does it need to be more complicated than that?

Also, there is an already option to do exactly that Grap3. If you're down to 1v1, and have taken losses, you can hit start and there will be a "surrender" option. After the current match it forces you to go to lobby.

Berzerk!

And to make something plural, you add "s" or "es" depending on the situation but not an apostrophe followed by "s."
You also shouldn't start sentences with prepositions like I just did, haha.

Except when you type T's as it's short for phonetically typing "tees" as the plural of the letter T so apostrophe is correct :)

Fun with English aside, I think all the points in your post were spot on :)

I'd also be fine with "just give them the loss" as Rikuto said. Deals with Ragequitters just fine. Balancing the point system, another thing worth doing. Also didn't know about the Surrender option, I just take the losses until I win...: :p

Seriously though, a number of online options have been in our request/question lists for TN but this is an area worth focusing on its own. More ideas?

A great, great idea in DOAD they should expand on is creating Ghost Fighter data based on player performance, which is shared via spotpass. That's something way cool.

Also, the ability SF4 gives you to challenge/be challenged while playing arcade mode is a great way to avoid lobby boredom.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD