DOA:D and 3DS

Perfect Legend

I would like to play DOA:D but I tried it when grap3fruitman brought it to UFGT and the game feels totally unplayable because of the Dpad and the analog is no better. I was appalled by how small the dpad was. Unless there is a way for me to use a converter for a different kind of pad it will be very hard for me to play the game.

Besides that I checked out some stuff. Gen Fu's 3kp6p is -12 now. Jann Lee's dragon gunner is +24 again on normal but I think you are able to counter out of it but I dunno.

Hayate's dad is a palette swap of Hayate =\. Very disappointing.

I like that fact that you can't get enough advantage off a jab in stun now so Jab to launch won't work unless on hi counter thus forcing each character to be more unique which I think is great.

I feel like the game has potential on with first impressions and because of the other stuff I know about the game and how DOA has worked in the past and how it would work now with the small changes they made it would be good. Too bad the game is on 3DS because the FGC won't take it serious thus trying to get it into circuit events would be difficult. Also I feel like Team Ninja should put more emphasis on going to Evo instead of any other tournament to market their game and get people involved because to be honest the DOA community itself is a very small market.

SkatanMilla

DOAD made some smart changes, and some that I don't agree with.

- I think the new hold system isn't worked through as much as it should have been, if they are removing the midk/p launch mixup, they need to make it so that every character has a viable mid/high launch mixup.

- The new jab stun is very smart idea, however, certain characters like Eliot didn't get anything to replace the role his jabs had in his stun game, for example his 66PP counts as a jab, and so does every 2nd followup out of all of his punch strings. Also since he doesn't have any good high stun attacks, he suffers a lot from the new 3-point hold system, because he has to use a mid to get the stun, or 2F+K.

- The addition of fireballs is just redundant, and I hope it doesn't stay in Doa5.

- Movement being more strict than it was in 4 isn't something that I like either, since you're not allowed to avoid attacks by sidestepping it is important that they atleast keep the back and forth movement quick so that you can avoid attacks that way.

In general DOAD is a step in the right direction, but it needs to work more on it's ideas.
And the dpad is terrible.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Jann Lee's dragon gunner is +24 again on normal but I think you are able to counter out of it but I dunno.

Yes, throw and hold advantage, guard breaks, and guard crushes are considered critical so the player can hold out of any of them at any time. It's the same system as DOA4.

- Movement being more strict than it was in 4 isn't something that I like either, since you're not allowed to avoid attacks by sidestepping it is important that they atleast keep the back and forth movement quick so that you can avoid attacks that way.

It's actually felt easier to backstep (backdash cancel more specifically) than DOA4 for me. It doesn't feel like i'm moving in molasses as much. Plus, many of the "drop downs" from a fall don't put you right on top of the player.

SkatanMilla

I don't know about backdash canceling, but korean backdash and cd-canceling move a shorter distance each rep in doad

Gill Hustle

I like that fact that you can't get enough advantage off a jab in stun now so Jab to launch won't work unless on hi counter thus forcing each character to be more unique which I think is great.

I feel like the game has potential on with first impressions and because of the other stuff I know about the game and how DOA has worked in the past and how it would work now with the small changes they made it would be good. Too bad the game is on 3DS because the FGC won't take it serious thus trying to get it into circuit events would be difficult. Also I feel like Team Ninja should put more emphasis on going to Evo instead of any other tournament to market their game and get people involved because to be honest the DOA community itself is a very small market.

Yeah that's the thing that threw me off as well but something I like also.

I also like because of the modified stun system(recovery) that it's a lot easier to time a persons stun ending and throwing the instantly if they choose to block.

As far as marketing at a tourney like EVO, that would be great but with all the recent "controversy" a lot of people may be checking in to see what goes down in Dallas . . .

Perfect Legend

I have the game in my possession finally however I am looking for a very cheap price for the 3ds for I refuse to pay 250 for this thing I rather buy a new PS3. Anyway once I can get this for cheap I will be posting all character changes frame data etc. Obsolete strats and better strats for chars and what not.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Frame Data will be posted soon. The Japanese guide has it all listed and is on the way (at?) Grap3's place. It will be added to the wiki.

In-game, you're only able to find the Startup, Hit Disadvantage, and Guard Disadvantage with the frame data.

Good luck finding a cheap 3DS.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
They just barely shipped the guide and it's still in Japan at the moment. I'll definitely make a post once I receive it though.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD