DoA5 Hayabusa

Chris Harris

Haybusa in DoA5​
This character has had a complete change from his previous versions. He has been slowed down considerably, his crushes aren’t insane, and the Izuna drop damage is lessened (not too much). This is more of a small guideline to help understand the type of character he is to help newer players at least have an idea of what they are getting into and even those that are trying him but having trouble figuring out how they should move forward.

Hayabusa is not a rush down monster. He doesn’t have quick moves that stun you and force a mix up. Now instead he has to play more of a mid range poke game. He has a slow mid, slow low, and average jab. He is not going to be running at his opponents just doing whatever he wants especially if they utilize sidestep. Let’s see what pokes we have that can help out here. . .

:6: :P: - Staple mid attack to counter poke with. On CH the stun is so great they can’t struggle the launchers and are forced to hold if you commit. It’s basically a stun that when it hits they either have to hold or let you launch them or extend the stun further.

:3: :P: - Another good mid attack to counter poke with. However this attack can sometimes crush and it will catch crushes as well.

:6: :P: :K: - You are definitely not at advantage but if you space it correctly throws can’t reach you. You also have the parry from Ninpo so if you sniff an attack coming you can press free (or even wait to see) and end up behind them. This string is also good for catching someone trying to sidestep the punch.

:4: :P: / :1: :P: - Both of these are excellent step killers. They both give a jab in case the defender tries to struggle the hit. However if people start attempting blind holds you can start throwing, extending the stun, or going for launchers.

:4: :P: :K: - The ender for this attack leaves you at very strong advantage (+9). The advantage is so much you can force a simple mid/throw mix up. However it does push back (as it is a guard break) so be careful when you try to throw because sometimes you have to take a half step forward. This entire string tracks.

:6: :6: :K: - While this move is linear it deserves a spot. Once you hit people enough with :1: :P: / :4: :P: they will sit there and accept this approach. Have good advantage (+6) so can force a solid mix up from here.

:3: :F+K: - This is one of you main tools to approach your opponent. It tracks and is small advantage (+2) so the opponent has options. You can choose to back off and see how they react or you can force a mix up.

:3: :3: :P: :4: - At some point when the opponent realizes they can’t side step :3: :F+K: they will either attempt to hold it or just stand there. While :3: :3: :P: doesn’t give a ton of advantage (+1) it gives you a few options because you cause some push back. You can use this in place of his other gap closers because the range he comes in at is pretty deceptive. This move also has a high follow up/low follow up. I would suggest using the low (not relying on it) just to give the opponent a reason to sit still to at least wait and see what you are doing.

These are the moves you should be calling on through most of the match if not a few others. The main thing to remember about Hayabusa is in this game he isn’t so much Hayabusa against another character. He is more of a Hayabusa against the person you are playing so getting a read on how people want to react to your stance transitions and pokes is crucial.

The use of :3: :F+K: is one of the things you have to do. Even if they counter it because it is literally your only move to get in with in a safe manner. In DoA you can only play the poke game for so long and because Hayabusa doesn’t really have safe pokes you have to eventually press in and poke some damage in. Don’t believe in the myth of people always holding every single attack you try because you are fooling yourself. If the kick is countered just run in and see how they react because when you counter an attack it means you are standing around waiting for it which means you get to use your other attacks to close the distance.

This is just my opinion on the character and some beginner tactics that will evolve over time. Feel free to add to it or ask questions.

Allan Paris

FYI for beginners and some well seasoned players. Any string that has 3h+k (for you newbies :3: :H+K:) in it as well as the move itself can be free stepped at any range and the move can be low throw punished accordingly. I said, FREE STEP, and NOT SS.

Fortunately for you Ryu players, a person has to do some mad training to get the timing and reaction down on free stepping this dumbass tracking move. Your opponent also has to worry about the other things you'll do at range. So, free stepping may not be the first thing on their mind. Just keep in mind that the move can be free stepped and you are unsafe if it is.

Chris Harris

FYI for beginners and some well seasoned players. Any string that has 3h+k (for you newbies :3: :H+K:) in it as well as the move itself can be free stepped at any range and the move can be low throw punished accordingly. I said, FREE STEP, and NOT SS.

Fortunately for you Ryu players, a person has to do some mad training to get the timing and reaction down on free stepping this dumbass tracking move. Your opponent also has to worry about the other things you'll do at range. So, free stepping may not be the first thing on their mind. Just keep in mind that the move can be free stepped and you are unsafe if it is.

While you can free step it, it is hella difficult to do especially if I start doing other things. You can't low throw :3: :F+K: from Hayabusa. . .it's +2 and +9 on both. Unless you mean when you free step it then yes you can get a low throw. However it is hella difficult to do but it is an option.

Also fixed the original post didn't notice I kept hitting "p" instead of "k" lol

Allan Paris

I know you can't low throw it on block. I mean it is guard breaking. I am saying you can throw it if is free stepped, I thought I posted that. Along with the other things you said to challenge what I said lol.

All I'm saying is that the move can be free stepped and punished. Whether or not someone practices on doing it is on them. The information is now out here.

MajesticBlue

So do I lol. My guide is still a mess. Hahaha. I have a question for you. Have you broke down 66K matchup information? I did and it looks pretty bleak. The move he has that can beat 12 and 13 frame lows is 6P+K. So the only real mixup vs people aware of this is 6P+K or throw. I agree that not everybody plays smart of does smart things but still. When it comes to tiers and stuff it is important I feel. 6P+K only does like 42 damage (guessing) and is REALLY unsafe. So not how true of a mixup it is. I can't remember if you can fuzzy Ongyoin 6+K. It might be his only move that beats fuzzy.

MajesticBlue

What is hard is you can't tell people what to do really. You just have to give them the tools and send them off into the world.

Chris Harris

What is hard is you can't tell people what to do really. You just have to give them the tools and send them off into the world.

Yea well like I said. Hayabusa (in this game) has a tool for almost any situation. So it's not really a character vs character thing. Playing him in this game you have to read your opponent quickly and play a solid mid range game. The key is knowing your stuns (in the game in general) and knowing when someone can struggle and when they can't.

I find that if I ever hit with :6: :P: do a launcher and start forcing them to hold so my options become available. People have trouble because of myth's they believe in about people being able to hold things on reaction every time you do it. It's impossible if you are mixing in other options and he has a bunch of really good ones to close the mid range distance. This combined with him being able to punish almost everything makes him pretty good in my opinion. But like I said if you have trouble reading a person and adapting quickly he is very hard to use. Especially when they are just doing random things.

Reactions: avi

Brute

Standard Donor
What's the best approach in your opinion after a successful ongyoin parry? I used to go for a quick jab, but I find even then he's generally still as a speed disadvantage. Now I use 33P, but it seems like I'm doing it wrong.

MajesticBlue

Not my place but here is what I think, not going to be the advice you want to hear. Do whatever beats what you think they will go for. Unless you parry something with massive recovery you are coming in at a disadvantage. A high majority of people will go for a punch of some sort, if you don't want to bait an Izuna hold, going for crush moves is a great idea. If you want it to work you will have to try and break them down and condition them. Not sure if it is worth the trouble though.

Brute

Standard Donor
Not my place but here is what I think, not going to be the advice you want to hear. Do whatever beats what you think they will go for. Unless you parry something with massive recovery you are coming in at a disadvantage. A high majority of people will go for a punch of some sort, if you don't want to bait an Izuna hold, going for crush moves is a great idea. If you want it to work you will have to try and break them down and condition them. Not sure if it is worth the trouble though.
The problem is that usually Ryu can only beat an opponent up close with a counter or a crush. Trying for an Izuna hold may work (as usually they will go for a quick BT punch), but guessing a high or mid is literally 50/50 (and of course, they can always surprise you with popular 2H+Ks, etc.) if you go that route (blocking is a terrible option as it will put you right back into the situation you were trying to avoid with the parry in the first place).

MajesticBlue

The terrible option is actually the parry itself. You can crush a low with 9K is you are feeling risky. Not to mention that some of the cast has BT4K that can sitdown stun you. The parry really has no use at all, in my play style the risk vs reward is not in my favor so I avoid it. In theory I guess you could train yourself to use it like Kasumi's though.

Does anybody know if there is a way to test how long the recovery on the parry animation is? He (looks) like he is in tech crouch forever. The animation change really hurts it.

Brute

Standard Donor
The terrible option is actually the parry itself. You can crush a low with 9K is you are feeling risky. Not to mention that some of the cast has BT4K that can sitdown stun you. The parry really has no use at all, in my play style the risk vs reward is not in my favor so I avoid it. In theory I guess you could train yourself to use it like Kasumi's though.

Does anybody know if there is a way to test how long the recovery on the parry animation is? He (looks) like he is in tech crouch forever. The animation change really hurts it.
It doesn't seem as bad on the parry as the free teleport, but I'm not sure what the frame data is on it exactly (or maybe I'm just delusional.

As far as it being a bad choice, I feel like almost all of Ryu's attacks are "terrible options" save Izuna baits. Every move he has is risky, and seems to be done in a better fashion by someone else.

MajesticBlue

Sounds about right man. Did you happen to look at the last post in the Thinking mans super ninja thread? I got to mess around with it and it works pretty well. Just curious if anybody else has tried it.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD