How to open people up?

MaxwellMouse

I don't ever play graplers and usually stick with spacing character but was drawn to Bass in DOA5 as soon as I played him. I know his main damage comes from throws and ideally those are hi counter. This strategy only works if you can force your to whiff counters

So my game now revolves around guard breaks, and ground pickups. .

TRI_Gero

I Have a similar question, Im looking to main Bass but I find his ranged game rather difficult, I usually just mixup running :P: or Running :F+P: to get in, or sometimes I just do :3::3::P: while carefully aproaching to break their guard with the second hit or get a launcher and juggle, thanks in advance (:

miyodarius

I would probably go with :6: :H+K:. This is my main tool to open up people with at a distance. On block it guard breaks, so your opponent can't punish you for it, and if it hits, you get a free pick up grab. I mix this in with :3: :3: :P: :P: and the running grab.

TRI_Gero

Standing :H+K: does seem a lot faster than in previous entries, but when I attempt I usally eat some faster attack, I also wasnt aware :6::H+K: was not punishable, I thought that even though a guard break it was still punishable, Ill have to try it out, what about :2::H+K: does it work for something other than mixups?

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
:2::h::+::K: breaks low guard and it's hard to hold for most people. It crushes lows for a few frames, but otherwise it's another very slow move. Keep in mind that the Wake Up version of the kick doesn't have the same properties.

miyodarius

Standing :H+K: does seem a lot faster than in previous entries, but when I attempt I usally eat some faster attack, I also wasnt aware :6::H+K: was not punishable, I thought that even though a guard break it was still punishable, Ill have to try it out, what about :2::H+K: does it work for something other than mixups?
I believe if you do it right in people's face, they can punish with a grab. but if your trying to get in from a distance; Mid to long range, its hard to punish. I only go for :6: :H+K: if I'm trying to get a pick up grab. But :H+K: is a great spacing tool, like you said. But just don't whiff it though.

TRI_Gero

It is a shame his running grab is no longer a catch grab or so I read, that would have made him such a monster. Btw how viable is doing the Buffalo train at a distance? is it hold-able or is it like the Dragon kick where when holded the opponent sidesteps automatically?

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I think it's always been holdable, it's just the hold timing a little tighter now, but not by much. The mid hip attack is unholdable, but leave you at more disadvantage if the opponent tries to hold it.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
How to open people up...

Well, there's always the Kinniku Buster cliffhanger. The viewer can pretty much see everything.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I would not recommend doing the buffalo train, or running punch, or running H+P at full screen run-in. I'd only recommend 33P_33PP at mid-screen range at best.

Basically as Bass you have to play defensive poke game to open them up. Seriously, you will get messed up if you try to press the advantage against a defensive Jann Lee or Kasumi.

At range I'll generally poke with 3K as it has some deceptive range.
2H+K is instant crouch but doesn't really reward much but +1 on guard. I'd rather poke with 2P as it has string extension capabilities and also instant crouches though it's i17.

If I'm trying to come in, 66K is amazing as it's + on guard and has a lot of active frames.

33P has always been holdable but NOT parryable. The follow-up P by itself is +5 on guard AND does sit-down on hit.

As for opening up holds, I recommend using the Super Freak on pick-up to condition them to throw or crouch in prep of it. Once you have them fearing that you can mix up the Super Freak with the similar looking Power Blow OR 3K them in the head for free sitdown to buffalo horn.

Also, 3P+K is safe on guard, unholdable, AND can be followed up with a throw for those trying to side step.

If you don't want to play the stun game, (and really what Bass would be?), then I recommend hitting the same move twice to do instant knockdown. Fore example do 3K H 3K to knock the person down. Not only does it help in the fact that you don't have a mid kick string follow-up to 3K (Opponent is looking for 3KP or 3KK) but you generally get a jarred opponent not expecting to be knocked out of stun so fast. The knock back can be teched but you can notice in good time if they have or not, this grants you a free pick-up where now you're in his pressure guessing game.

Also 66H+P works as a good quick OH to just help teach the opponents to respect slightly ranged Bass and not just mash attacks.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Oh yeah, 66H+P is great for putting the opponent off balance. Try buffering it whenever you feel the opponent may want to throw out an attack. It has good range and it's faster that 41236H+P.

miyodarius

I agree with you, on the most part. I'm actually starting using to mix-up 66P and 6H+K just so I can get a clean pick up grab. Near the wall, I like doing 33PP and 66K more. but at long range, yea, I like to space like you said with 3k and I like using 1p just to mix up and tech crouch.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD