I absolutly SUCK at defense

Ricardo

I am a Hayabusa player with decent (gimmick) offense but I just suck at defense especially in the stun game. I know when I am knocked down and stunned I need to shake out of it but are there other types of stuns where I cannot hold? I need to master the hold game to use ryu to his full potential.

Sam Sultan

Defense is quit easy once you know every characters move set. So whenever you are having trouble with certain characters go and see what their strings are and see which kick or punch is high, mid or low and when you know that go play some matches and try and counter whenever you see the move coming or think that your opponents going to do the move and try and counter it, That's how i learned to defend so good luck!

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Defense is quit easy once you know every characters move set. So whenever you are having trouble with certain characters go and see what their strings are and see which kick or punch is high, mid or low and when you know that go play some matches and try and counter whenever you see the move coming or think that your opponents going to do the move and try and counter it, That's how i learned to defend so good luck!

^This.

If you are unfamiliar with the stuns, take a look at Emperor Cow's stun tutorial. It'll help you be more decisive on what you should stagger escape and when you should hold. The other half is knowing the character's strings. It's going to take a lot of trial and error.

Dave

I still don't think I do stagger escape correctly. I mash on the upper right and lower left of the d-pad and hold x correct? I don't even really notice my character staggering, and the opponent just gets their damage in. But for learning defense, Sam is correct. I usually just go into versus with AI set to 6 or higher, put them on random and just focus on the strings.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
limbo stuns?

Where they bend backwards, looking like they're attempting to do the limbo. Depending on an open or closed stance, the limbo stun will either cause them to turn their backs or simply react like they got sucker punched in the stomach.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
And remember, to block low, simply hold down on the pad/stick. Unlike previous DOAs, you don't have to hold 1 (down-back) or 2+h (down plus the hold button), whichever your preference at the time.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD