I Messed Up Bad

UnderDaBooty

So I got inspired by all the lovely mods found on Deviantart and decided to give modding a shot (have some goals in mind). This is my first attempt with my main Tamaki. Here are the screenshots.

Tamaki Attempt 1
Tamaki Attempt 2

Viewing the screenshots it is safe to say I messed up somewhere . I was trying to convert an XPS into a VB. I believe I did the scaling right. It probably went downhill when I joined the XPS with the VB. Once I joined them, I deleted the verticles of the DOA6 clothes and left the XPS clothes. Then my stupid self did join again which I don't believe I was supposed to do reviewing my mistakes. Also seems my custom textures didn't work either but I'm not really worried about that yet. I just want to get down to the Blender part first. If anybody has some advice or is willing to teach me, I would greatly appreciate it. Just for your purposes, I'm new to modding and Blender (learning as I go; made plenty of mistakes already)

Thank you. Have a great day!

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
What did you join the xps with at the start? In order for the clothes and or body xps to correctly be in game, you have to use a full nude model of the character and weight transfer the weights from the doa6 body to the clothes xps

You can't use the game body mesh tho to do that since it's not a full body mesh, especially in Tamaki's high society dlc costume since the feet, and everything the shirt covers isn't there to transfer weights from. You need the full nude mesh first once you've scaled the xps to fit the body as best as possible

UnderDaBooty

Oh, snap! APO Prince. One of my main inspirations for getting into modding. This is crazy lol. Enjoyed your mods. Look forward to what you do next!

I joined the XPS with game body mesh at the start. I didn't even know about weight transfers. So let me make sure I have it right (might be overthinking).
1. Import the DOA6 model.
2. Scale the XPS to the DOA6 model as best as possible.
3. Find/import the full nude model of the character.
4. Hit join between the scaled XPS model and the nude model.
5. Transfer the weight from the DOA6 body to the newly joined model
6. Use the G1m_import.exe to import all the changes.

Is this the correct route? How would one transfer the weight from the DOA6 model to the clothes XPS?

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Oh, snap! APO Prince. One of my main inspirations for getting into modding. This is crazy lol. Enjoyed your mods. Look forward to what you do next!

I joined the XPS with game body mesh at the start. I didn't even know about weight transfers. So let me make sure I have it right (might be overthinking).
1. Import the DOA6 model.
2. Scale the XPS to the DOA6 model as best as possible.
3. Find/import the full nude model of the character.
4. Hit join between the scaled XPS model and the nude model.
5. Transfer the weight from the DOA6 body to the newly joined model
6. Use the G1m_import.exe to import all the changes.

Is this the correct route? How would one transfer the weight from the DOA6 model to the clothes XPS?
Thank you, it means alot that you like my port works :-D I've taken a break atm since I'm currently learning SF6 modding but I'll return back to DOA6 once I finish getting the hang of it.

As for what I do, I do the following in this order:

1) Import the XPS/mesh you want to port in the game. Depending on the way it's posed, you'll have to manually adjust it to fit the same pose as the DOA6 ones which usually use the high A pose( semi high arm raise and spread legs) or the low A pose(lowered arms), but most use the higher one in the more recent costume meshes.

2)After the posing, apply the pose change with the wrench menu symbol and hit apply, you'll have to do that to all mesh parts before getting rid of the armature skeleton. After that you're gonna then need to UV map all of the xps mesh parts so they'll have that texture in game, to make it easier tho I usually join the mesh parts that share the same texture since if they're joined, they'll all mapped at once on the same map.

3) After that you'll then load the DOA6 nude model of the character you want. Tamaki's nude model is easy to find since there's a micro kini mod for her that is basically the nude model, you'll just have to delete or hide the swimsuit. You then scale your xps so it's the same size as the body or close to it, and then you'll have to manually adjust the placement so it's evenly on the body.

4) For this part to make it easier, I'd go to edit mode and duplicate the body mesh and separate it so you'll have the body that you'll just use to weight transfer with and join the mesh with anf the other is gonna be for the body that'll be used in game.

After you have two bodies, you're gonna go to the mesh xps and go to the Triangle Vertex groups section and remove all of them from the xps. This was probably an issue since the game was likely misreading the groups from the xps mesh. After they're removed, you'll then highlight the body you'll use to weight transfer anf then second highlight the xps mesh, as if you're joining them but don't.

Go weight transfer, and then choose transfer weights. In the source menu section, choose "by name" so that way all of the weights will be transferred to the clothes.

5) After this, you can join the xps and the body, I reccomend however going to edit mode and making sure the body is highlighted in its slot anf that the xps isn't so that way when you join them, you can go to edit mode and just delete the body and not the clothes. Make sure to select the xps first and then the body second so that way when they join it'll become a VB which is what the game needs it to be in terms of what you export back in.

After that you're then gonna have to edit the body to make it so the clothes won't clip into it, basically you'll just delete whatever body parts that won't be seen in mod, so if the mesh is basically something like say Kasumi's red ninja jumpsuit which I did, I'd delete the legs and everything that won't be seen from a sharp eye. Some things will be seen and can't be removed but you can use sculpt mode to shave down certain parts that are gonna poke out otherwise.

6) After the body is sculpted and cropped to your liking and the clothes are fit on well, then you can begin exporting, but make sure the right UV map name is used (TEXCOORD.xy) so that way it'll show in game. You also need to make sure that the g1m you export to is a fresh one or else it'll crash in game. Export the clothes to the VB that has the clothes(3.vb is what I use) and the body you'll export to 14.vb. after that use g1m import and then g1m hide to hide all the VBs you aren't using, in this case I'd hide everything but 3 and 14. Then you can go in game to see if it's done correctly

UnderDaBooty

Thank you, it means alot that you like my port works :-D I've taken a break atm since I'm currently learning SF6 modding but I'll return back to DOA6 once I finish getting the hang of it.

As for what I do, I do the following in this order:

1) Import the XPS/mesh you want to port in the game. Depending on the way it's posed, you'll have to manually adjust it to fit the same pose as the DOA6 ones which usually use the high A pose( semi high arm raise and spread legs) or the low A pose(lowered arms), but most use the higher one in the more recent costume meshes.

2)After the posing, apply the pose change with the wrench menu symbol and hit apply, you'll have to do that to all mesh parts before getting rid of the armature skeleton. After that you're gonna then need to UV map all of the xps mesh parts so they'll have that texture in game, to make it easier tho I usually join the mesh parts that share the same texture since if they're joined, they'll all mapped at once on the same map.

3) After that you'll then load the DOA6 nude model of the character you want. Tamaki's nude model is easy to find since there's a micro kini mod for her that is basically the nude model, you'll just have to delete or hide the swimsuit. You then scale your xps so it's the same size as the body or close to it, and then you'll have to manually adjust the placement so it's evenly on the body.

4) For this part to make it easier, I'd go to edit mode and duplicate the body mesh and separate it so you'll have the body that you'll just use to weight transfer with and join the mesh with anf the other is gonna be for the body that'll be used in game.

After you have two bodies, you're gonna go to the mesh xps and go to the Triangle Vertex groups section and remove all of them from the xps. This was probably an issue since the game was likely misreading the groups from the xps mesh. After they're removed, you'll then highlight the body you'll use to weight transfer anf then second highlight the xps mesh, as if you're joining them but don't.

Go weight transfer, and then choose transfer weights. In the source menu section, choose "by name" so that way all of the weights will be transferred to the clothes.

5) After this, you can join the xps and the body, I reccomend however going to edit mode and making sure the body is highlighted in its slot anf that the xps isn't so that way when you join them, you can go to edit mode and just delete the body and not the clothes. Make sure to select the xps first and then the body second so that way when they join it'll become a VB which is what the game needs it to be in terms of what you export back in.

After that you're then gonna have to edit the body to make it so the clothes won't clip into it, basically you'll just delete whatever body parts that won't be seen in mod, so if the mesh is basically something like say Kasumi's red ninja jumpsuit which I did, I'd delete the legs and everything that won't be seen from a sharp eye. Some things will be seen and can't be removed but you can use sculpt mode to shave down certain parts that are gonna poke out otherwise.

6) After the body is sculpted and cropped to your liking and the clothes are fit on well, then you can begin exporting, but make sure the right UV map name is used (TEXCOORD.xy) so that way it'll show in game. You also need to make sure that the g1m you export to is a fresh one or else it'll crash in game. Export the clothes to the VB that has the clothes(3.vb is what I use) and the body you'll export to 14.vb. after that use g1m import and then g1m hide to hide all the VBs you aren't using, in this case I'd hide everything but 3 and 14. Then you can go in game to see if it's done correctly
SF6 eh? Super excited. I can't wait. I know you will knock it out of the park just based on your DOA mods. Thank you for the what-to-do list as well. I feel ready to jump back in and start fresh once more. Hopefully this time with fewer mistakes. Constantly starting over sucks.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
SF6 eh? Super excited. I can't wait. I know you will knock it out of the park just based on your DOA mods. Thank you for the what-to-do list as well. I feel ready to jump back in and start fresh once more. Hopefully this time with fewer mistakes. Constantly starting over sucks.
I hope I can, I'm kinda deciding if it's worth pursuing since apparently major patches break mods and idk if I have the patience to fix mods everytime an update comes, but I'll likely accept that if it's simple enough

And if it helps, I'd make copies. As I go along from steps, I always make sure to duplicate a mesh before I scale it so if I do make a mistake and idk if I can fix it, you can just delete it and use a copy(after copying that copy so you can attempt again if there's another mistake). I also make sure to only save when I'm positive I made a key step progression, so I save after the UV mapping, copying, and then before the scaling so that way if you mess up, you can just exit and just load back at the point before you made the xps scale to the doa6 body size

Also another thing, NEVER weight transfer from a body mesh that isn't a full body one, if you do that it'll make the mesh buggy and make weird parts float in game as if there was nothing there, and fixing it can be hard since in blender, once you weight transfer it can be hard to change incorrect weights, especially later down the line.

And be aware that skirt physics aren't currently possible so I'd avoid meshes that have them unless they're shorter or you're not too bothered by that. I myself don't attempt those anymore because this guy on DA who only ever comments to point out obvious things that I can't help like the lack of physics always will point it out even tho it's been a thing for 4 years

UnderDaBooty

I hope I can, I'm kinda deciding if it's worth pursuing since apparently major patches break mods and idk if I have the patience to fix mods everytime an update comes, but I'll likely accept that if it's simple enough

And if it helps, I'd make copies. As I go along from steps, I always make sure to duplicate a mesh before I scale it so if I do make a mistake and idk if I can fix it, you can just delete it and use a copy(after copying that copy so you can attempt again if there's another mistake). I also make sure to only save when I'm positive I made a key step progression, so I save after the UV mapping, copying, and then before the scaling so that way if you mess up, you can just exit and just load back at the point before you made the xps scale to the doa6 body size

Also another thing, NEVER weight transfer from a body mesh that isn't a full body one, if you do that it'll make the mesh buggy and make weird parts float in game as if there was nothing there, and fixing it can be hard since in blender, once you weight transfer it can be hard to change incorrect weights, especially later down the line.

And be aware that skirt physics aren't currently possible so I'd avoid meshes that have them unless they're shorter or you're not too bothered by that. I myself don't attempt those anymore because this guy on DA who only ever comments to point out obvious things that I can't help like the lack of physics always will point it out even tho it's been a thing for 4 years
Some dumb questions if you don't mind answering.

1) For UV mapping, you mentioned joining the mesh parts that share the same texture. Is it better to combine all XPS mesh clothes, excluding the XPS body? I asked because when I weight transferred later on, I noticed it only went to one of the XPS clothes mesh instead of all the clothes.

2) Which body am I duplicating? The scaled XPS body or the DOA6 nude body mesh? I assume DOA6 nude body mesh so the game can read it.

3) If the DOA6 nude body is the answer, then am I a bit confused about the two bodies? I'm most likely overthinking it. Here is my thought process: There are three bodies. The scaled XPS body and the two nude DOA6 bodies. One of the DOA6 nude will eventually be joined with the XPS body. But first, we must remove everything from the Triangle Vertex and weight transfer from the nude DOA6 body (full body, as you mentioned earlier). What exactly are we doing with the other duplicated DOA6 nude body? You said that would be used for the game.

Wait.............hold on. It might have finally clicked. You shouldn't join the XPS body and the DOA6 nude body (the one used for weight transfer). Instead, join the XPS body with the other duplicated DOA6 nude body, right? Because that one will be used for the game.

4) Last question (hopefully), I can't get the joint XPS and DOA6 body to turn into a VB. I clicked the XPS first, then the body, and hit join. Everything becomes the XPS. It might have to be with the DOA6 nude model I found. It was Tamaki's COS001 from the LoveLab forum in SaafRats Nude Mod 1.0. I may have to get her micro bikini mod instead.

Also, God bless you for the advice to make copies as you go. SUCH A GAME CHANGER!

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Some dumb questions if you don't mind answering.

1) For UV mapping, you mentioned joining the mesh parts that share the same texture. Is it better to combine all XPS mesh clothes, excluding the XPS body? I asked because when I weight transferred later on, I noticed it only went to one of the XPS clothes mesh instead of all the clothes.

2) Which body am I duplicating? The scaled XPS body or the DOA6 nude body mesh? I assume DOA6 nude body mesh so the game can read it.

3) If the DOA6 nude body is the answer, then am I a bit confused about the two bodies? I'm most likely overthinking it. Here is my thought process: There are three bodies. The scaled XPS body and the two nude DOA6 bodies. One of the DOA6 nude will eventually be joined with the XPS body. But first, we must remove everything from the Triangle Vertex and weight transfer from the nude DOA6 body (full body, as you mentioned earlier). What exactly are we doing with the other duplicated DOA6 nude body? You said that would be used for the game.

Wait.............hold on. It might have finally clicked. You shouldn't join the XPS body and the DOA6 nude body (the one used for weight transfer). Instead, join the XPS body with the other duplicated DOA6 nude body, right? Because that one will be used for the game.

4) Last question (hopefully), I can't get the joint XPS and DOA6 body to turn into a VB. I clicked the XPS first, then the body, and hit join. Everything becomes the XPS. It might have to be with the DOA6 nude model I found. It was Tamaki's COS001 from the LoveLab forum in SaafRats Nude Mod 1.0. I may have to get her micro bikini mod instead.

Also, God bless you for the advice to make copies as you go. SUCH A GAME CHANGER!
1) no, because not all of the clothes parts will share a clothes texture. For example for the Kasumi Lili bikini mod I did everything that the bikini XPS included including the heel sandals shared a single texture so I could just map that on the doa6 texture and everything would be done at once.

Not all costumes are like that tho, my Tamaki Makeup Laurel mod I did for example has several different textures so some parts shared a texture and some didn't. These mods are complex since that had like 6 separate textures I needed to map and resize to fit on the doa6 texture map. You can join parts but you have to make sure they share a texture map first or else it'll be a mess.

2) yeah, you have to duplicate the doa6 body. Not the xps since it has vertex groups that DOA6 doesn't use and won't properly use in game. It's possible to use DOA5 bodies tho in place of the doa6 body but you'll have to also UV map the body and weight transfer to the body but I don't recommend this unless you have experience since it requires careful placement and scaling

3) You don't need the xps body unless you're going to use parts of it to join with the doa6 body or do a full replacement(I don't recommend this unless you can make it work since the doa5 body mesh have differences in quality and scale than the doa6 body). The copied nude body is so you have a body for weight transfering and joining with the xps mesh to make it into a VB anf then the other bodily is what you'll use to crop and edit so you can make it fit the clothes accurately, and you can also copy it so you have a back up in case there's a mistake.

4) you have to click the xps clothes first anf then you also then click the body so that way blender knows that you want to join the xps with the vb, if you do it VB first then it won't become a VB. If you make the mistake of doing that tho it's possible to undo that by using the blender undo hot key to revert a mistake

And yeah the micro kini mod is easier imo since you'll know where to export the clothes and body at

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD