Jann Lee top 10 Moves @ Analysis

Dr Sexual

No order, personal experience, just doing this for fun and to try and help out new players, will add analysis periodically. If you have a move analysis request thats not listed let me know and I'll do my best to answer it. Also opinions/corrections and help from other veteran Jann players is welcome and encouraged. I've chosen to leave out the Jab and basic grabs because hopefully most players should know the obvious importance of these attacks already.

66H (Dragon Gunner)

What makes this move so strong in this game is the fact that it is so unique.. Personally I almost look at it like a godly guard break. I believe Dragon gunner is best used in situations where you expect your opponent to guard. I also think its not as beneficial to try and use this move as a "traditional" DOA Offensive hold (Think Bayman or Bass) simply because the frames that OH properties are active are very short in comparison. Meaning that while it has the ability to eat many attacks your window is much shorter than most characters with bread and butter OH's.

Close range attacking stalemates - Dragon Gunner,
sloppy unsafe whiffs - Dragon gunner,
okizemi wakeup with guard situations - Dragon gunner,
Literally anytime you can anticipate that your opponent will stand there and guard - Dragon gunner.

In DOA5 guard breaks/crushes are laughably bad. Most if not all of these attacks in this game either leave you with few if any followup options or are just plain completely useless. This is what makes the Dragon Gunner so deadly. Its literally a guard break with an extremely short start up, does damage on its own, gives you guaranteed followups with HUGE damage potential and has offensive hold properties.

In a game where pretty much nobody else has this tool you can see why this move is so unique and powerful.

So in summary Dragon Gunner is basically a godlike ultimate version of a technique that is common to all other fighting games (In a much less powerful form), yet is almost absent from this game.

If not for the hold system in DOA and the way it gives you a potential out from the guaranteed followups through guessing this move would be absolutely and completely game breaking.

66k is probably the easiest guaranteed followup but (Dash)6H+K is a much more dangerous guaranteed followup because it puts you into your dragon stance. How much damage you get after that is all up to your creativity because contrary to popular scrub belief 6H+K is where the guarantees stop. The timing on the dash into the 6H+K takes a little practice and is pretty hard to do consistently with any kind of lag. If you find that your opponent gets hold happy after 6H+K and you go into stance my favorite thing to do is re-Gunner. It usually only takes falling into a multiple gunner trap once to really get into the head of an opponent.

Analysis coming soon

6H+K
Fast startup, Great range, Critical hit, Fast @ 15 frames (Faster than 66K), Can go straight into stance from it. The only problem is that its not very safe on block. In order to punish this move however an opponent really needs to be on their game and immediately ready to punish. The goal of this move should be to use it as a long range poke to fish for Stance mixups. If blocked and not immediately punished you're gonna be in your stance (You should never throw this move out without the intention of following it with Dragon stance) with all the upper hand in the world again with your 9 frame jab. Reaction punishing a 15 frame attack that can hit from the range this one does 100% of the time in the heat of battle is not the easiest thing to do in the world, even for really good players. This move is also guaranteed after mid punch and high kick holds and the dragon gunner. So at its core this move is basically 100% a really really good vehicle for going into Dragon Stance mixups which any Jann Lee player can tell you is probably one of his more deadly tools. Getting hit with this move is like getting Dragon Gunnered from ridiculous range at the expense of only the damage that the Dragon Gunner would have did itself.

(Rising) 46P
Analysis coming soon

6P
Analysis coming soon

236K (Dragon kick)
Yet another unique tool for Jann Lee. How many other unblockable high damage attacks are in this game. Not many. In prior DOA games sidestepping this attack was much less viable when compared to ducking. As a matter of fact ducking was almost the de facto way to deal with the Dragon kick. So with the new more effective sidestep you would think that this move would just be worse. But in my opinion it is not. And 66K is why. With the increased range of 66K I feel it is much easier to land the Dragon kick since the two attacks now have such similar range. No longer is avoiding the Dragon kick as simple as mindlessly ducking when 66K can hit you from the same range a Dragon kick can. OBVIOUSLY im not implying that the Dragon Kick should be a bread and butter move but occasionally throwing it in at a time you would normally use 66K is very effective at keeping an opponent honest from mid range. This move is also EXTREMELY effective immediately after wakeup against opponents backdashing away to avoid wakeup kicks. Again its not a move to base your game around but if you can figure out when and where it works you're a much better Jann Lee player for it.

H+K
Analysis coming soon

1P
Analysis coming soon

9P
Analysis coming soon

Dragon Stance
Analysis coming soon

MaxwellMouse

I want to hear what you have to say about 236k. Whenever I use that move it is an accident. So a good use for it would be welcome into my game.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD