Mr. Strong's Character Match-Up

miyodarius

I'm surprise this topic hasn't came up already, But I notice with my fights that I can not play the same against every character. With bass being the slowest character in the game , while also having the fastest grab in the game. So If you don't have a game plan against your opponent to open up your throw game... you won't do so well.

Here is a list of every character. I will add strategies to the list from the comments added to the thread.

Akira-

Alpha-

Ayane-

Bass-

Bayman-

Brad-

Christie-

Eliot-

Gen-

Hayate-

Helena-

Hitomi-

Jann-

Kasumi-

Kokoro-

Leifang-

Lisa-

Mila-

Pai-

Rig-

Ryu-

Sarah-

Tina-

Zack-

miyodarius

Well I guess I should get this started.
If rush down characters (like Jann Lee, Hayate, Kasumi, and Christe) are giving you a hard time, like me; here are some tips that is giving me a fighting chance. It is all about momentum; while making sure they don't get in on you. At a long distance. :6: :6: :K: and :6: :H+K: are great tools. At mid range :3: :3: :P: :P: and :236: :P: are just as good. The point is to keep frame advantage.
Here is a nice gimmick that has been working for me. :3: :P: or :3: :K: :P: only leave you at -2 and its good for spacing. if it hits continue your mix-up into critical burst. If they block it, your :6: :H+P: might catch them off guard if they don't react quick enough. :6: :H+P: will be a life saver to keep you momentum going.
If you find yourself on the defense side of their assault... JUST BLOCK. Your not gonna beat any move with your, and if your fighting a rushdown characters, their grabs wont be as strong. Getting hit with a grab and reseting the position will work better for you. Sidestep as much as you can or look for an opening to high crush with :2: :P: :P:. ( :1: :P: :P: also works too, but i prefer the other one). Also at a certain distance :2: :P: :P: 2nd hit will miss, so delay the 2nd one.
These are tools against rush down characters. Your main goal against a rush down character is to control the match with your frame advantage grabs like :6: :H+P: and :2: :H+P:. which is extremely hard, but this is all I got.
I hope this at least helped one person out there.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Playing against fast characters is very difficult for me. Even when I sometimes have the momentum going, one wrong move just ruins everything. Against characters like Kasumi, Ayane and Jann Lee, Side Stepping and crush moves are sometimes your only options to stop someone's offensive.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Guarding is the other. I've learned to do much better if i'm calm and patient. Wait for that opportune time to get a quick stun and press the advantage.

miyodarius

Atfer watching Mr. Wah's tournament matches, I have a understanding on the Bass vs Lei Fang match up.
The only thing, I would have focus a little more on, is Bass's combos (which is kinda small, but still there). In the grand finals against Lei Fang around 13:40, you dropped a combo to bait out an hold. You had the stun going to continue with 3kp, 3p+k, 33p (or 7k), 3pkp. You seems to miss out on alot of combos and pick up throw setups. But importantly, the Lei Fang match...

This could have been just you reading your opponent good. However, It seems this match up is in Bass favor. Lei Fang entire gameplan revolves around her Advance holds and parries, and pretty much counter your opponent's attacks. And trying to hold against Bass is a bad Idea unless you want to eat a Hi counter throw. So on the defensive level, Lei Fang can't be played the way she is supposed to be played.

Lei fang Spacing tools, still aren't as good as Bass's. He main spacing moves are 6H+K and 66P which isn't anything to concern Bass with. And to keep you out and at a distance, alot of Lei fang users, use 1[p+k]. which is tricky with a small backdash and gives her good frame advantage. So look out for this move.

Lei Fang trying to be play aggressive, is kinda cute. her moves aren't that fast, mostly punches, and start high and send mid. She has many quick tech crouch moves, so throw out a few crouch offensive holds every now and then. Her goal is like Bass's goal; to stun and mix up her opponent with attacks so she can get her chain throw in.
I got done playing some decent Lei Fangs, and I can honestly say, the match up looks
7-3 in bass favor.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
^^^ Got a link for that?

I see Sarah being a major pain for Bass in tourneys. VF characters in general are going to be very hard to deal with anyway.

LostSkeleton73

Standard Donor
My frustration comes from fighting Helena, Ayane, and Pai. I find Pai the most infuriating, as even when I play VF, Pai users are rare, so I have a hard time figuring out what her priorities and combos are. Having said that, I find as long as you keep them close, Ayane and Helena are easier to deal with.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I dropped my combos because I honestly didn't expect to launch those times or thought 4p might connect on the juggle. I'd rather go for the damage over free pickup and treat the teching opponent as a pickup.

As for the videos you can view the matches as a playlist in the media library.

LostSkeleton73

Standard Donor
Solid matches, though I wonder if there is any advantage on doing a QCB+P after the TFBB to close the gap. I can't recall if the range is close enough for it to connect to force a get-up.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD