Community NEC 15 Results

North East Championships 15 took place over the weekend in Philadelphia, PA, and the Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate tournament has ended. A lot of interesting things happened at the fifteenth anniversary of NEC with the last DOA5U major tournament in 2014. Tournament entry was free with a $1000 prize ($500 from donations to Free Step Dodge and $500 from Team NINJA).

Before I go on to the tournament, during the Top 8 on Sunday Eric Small of @BigE Gaming shared with @Katsu Hayami a message from Tom Lee of Team NINJA. Tom's message goes on to say that due to Katsu's relentless support for the Dead or Alive Competitive community, Team NINJA is donating $500 towards Katsu's medical bills he has been stuck with during his time of need. If you'd like to donate to help Katsu more, please follow proceed to Go Fund Me for more details.

Tom Lee said:
On behalf of Team NINJA and myself, Tom Lee, we would like to recognize the contributions of Katsu as an outstanding member of the DOA Community who has served the competitive scene for many years. As an act of gratitude, we would like to donate this check for $500 to help him with his recent medical bills. Thank you for all of your continued support and service.

As for the tournament, there were many instances of seeing characters on stream that didn't get much stream time in the past. Kristian "Kwiggle" McClean decided to use his secondary characters throughout the tournament instead of his main Christie due to community response doubting his previous wins were based on the player and not his character, but only managed second place. He ended up using Rachel, Kasumi, Marie Rose, and La Mariposa throughout the tournament. Sonic Fox also showed off his in-progress character choice of Jacky, but only ended up getting 3rd in the tournament after eliminating Jaeger in a Summer Jam run-back. The tournament champion was XCalibur BladeZ, his first tournament win in 2014 after getting second place at TFC 2014. He ended up winning the tournament with Eliot, a character often said by many to be one of the worst in the game This was Eliot's second tournament win since Summer Jam 6 in 2013 (by XCalibur BladeZ as well) shortly before the release of Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate.

It appears the tournament was a blast for all who attended, and we continued seeing growth in the community as it appears there were many players making their first appearance. I hope they all strengthen up for Dead or Alive 5 Last Round which will be out in February. Before that though, there's the Kumite in Tennessee event in January which is also free to enter with a $500 prize.

10846390_850633974956692_960362992677104935_n-jpg.8127

Last edited:
I'll stick to my opinion, because that's exactly what it is, MY OPINION. And I am not taking away anything from the players who do go out an compete. I never said my opinion held any weight, because I do not play fighting games competitive. But as a frequent viewer of tournaments, I didn't like what I saw for this specific tournament. And last, I am not one of those people who feel people win due to the characters they choose. Kwiggles is my favorite player because he's good, end of story. Did I wish he would have used Christie, sure, but that's only because I enjoy seeing him use her. That's all I'm saying. Peace.

Putting your opinion in all caps doesn't make it any less ignorant.
But my thought after my opinion wasn't in caps. Quite frankly, I just like seeing people playing at their best, and that is usually when people use their mains, not secondary characters. Not taking away from Kwiggles, XCal, or the other fighters, but I could tell who knew their characters and who didn't. I like seeing high level play, and while NEC did give me some of it, there was not enough like at TFC.

If the DOA community is really that bad that the whole community is represented by just the same handful of people, some of which are not even old enough to able do certain things without parental consent, then I feel sorry both for myself and the rest of the whole community for being so shit at this one game. Worse, people lost to a character that was for a while perceived to be the worst mainly because they had zero knowledge of what he actually has. @EMPEROR_COW was right, people are lazy and not willing to put time to actually see what works themselves.

Of course, the fact that TN is dishing out another update for the game only a year after 5U was released doesn't help, but a lot should've been discovered a year after the game's release anyway.

Come on, step it up. I'm sure if people actually step it up, then can knock these so called 'top players' out of the top 8s and get more new bloods in.

If the DOA community is really that bad that the whole community is represented by just the same handful of people, some of which are not even old enough to able do certain things without parental consent, then I feel sorry both for myself and the rest of the whole community for being so shit at this one game. Worse, people lost to a character that was for a while perceived to be the worst mainly because they had zero knowledge of what he actually has. @EMPEROR_COW was right, people are lazy and not willing to put time to actually see what works themselves.

Of course, the fact that TN is dishing out another update for the game only a year after 5U was released doesn't help, but a lot should've been discovered a year after the game's release anyway.

Come on, step it up. I'm sure if people actually step it up, then can knock these so called 'top players' out of the top 8s and get more new bloods in.

This is one of the most discouraging things about the Western DOA community, the fact that so few people truly play this game like how's it's supposed to be played and commonly just take the easy way out and play someone like Christie, Helena or Rachel for instance. This is the thing that makes DOA look scrubby to other FGC's, the relative lack of players that can show how much depth DOA really have instead of just mashing buttons or spamming holds furiously.

The overabundance of fanservice issue is not nearly as hindering as the average person may think, but if an onlooker thinks that DOA is just a "boobie" fighter and then mostly see scrubby play in tournaments, they'll think less of the franchise. Because of the "stigma" against DOA (and 3D fighters in general), it is extra important that the DOA players and representatives put forth a bigger effort to make DOA look like a solid, legit fighter. Whenever I watch SF4 play, I never once think the game looks better than DOA5, but what I notice is how much fucking higher the average level of play is offline. I think to myself, "What if DOA was to exhibit a similar calibre of play"? People would forget that the game is dominated by titties flip-flopping about.

What we need is for the Western DOA community to level up badly to catch up to its peers. This great game deserves it. On the otherhand, I love how the Japanese players put forth a great effort to level up their community.

What we need is for the Western DOA community to level up badly to catch up to its peers. This great game deserves it. On the otherhand, I love how the Japanese players put forth a great effort to level up their community.
The thing about the Japanese FGC is that fact that they share knowledge and tech. They will tell other players what they can do with a character, exchange match up knowledge, etc. Most American players do not do this, thus, nobody levels up. For example, people here will harp on how Ayane isn't being played correctly, but not say what the player should be doing.

Thus, I will never believe that a competitive player only wins due to the character they choose to main or use. I believe a competitive player wins because they do train and know their character and their match ups. That's why I was disappointed to not see people's mains, because I like seeing high level Christies, Helenas, Ayanes, etc. Idc if it's the same characters, if that's who the top players are comfortable using, then that's all that should matter. Unless it's casuals, don't use secondary characters. That's just me though.

The thing about the Japanese FGC is that fact that they share knowledge and tech. They will tell other players what they can do with a character, exchange match up knowledge, etc. Most American players do not do this, thus, nobody levels up. For example, people here will harp on how Ayane isn't being played correctly, but not say what the player should be doing.

Thus, I will never believe that a competitive player only wins due to the character they choose to main or use. I believe a competitive player wins because they do train and know their character and their match ups. That's why I was disappointed to not see people's mains, because I like seeing high level Christies, Helenas, Ayanes, etc. Idc if it's the same characters, if that's who the top players are comfortable using, then that's all that should matter. Unless it's casuals, don't use secondary characters. That's just me though.

This was actually what I was getting at. The Japanese players don't have nearly as much of an ego as Western players so they have no problem sharing MU knowledge and tech for the betterment of the community.

As for the Ayane comment, I can't agree with that. VERY few people can play Ayane properly, but HajinShinobi puts forth a tremendous effort to share tech and try to boost Ayane players gameplay as much as possible. If any Ayane player asks for assistance from me I'll help them and share what I know (though I hate DOA online with a passion...). I know what you mean, but choosing Ayane was a terrible example here. But yeah, a large problem with the character forums is not enough people contributing to them to encouraging levelling up of the character's standard of play.

Also putting "Ayane" in the same sentence as Christie and Helena feels odd, because Ayane isn't exactly in abundance at a high level compared to the other characters. However this brings about another issue with regards to high level play is the relative lack of character specialization. This is why I have a high degree of respect for players like MASTER. He actually has truly dedicated to his character and pretty much has stuck with him for ever instead of all the Christie, Helena, Rachel and Sarah spamming between DOA5 & DOA5U.

I, for one, am grateful we have people who didn't attend (and admittedly never attend tournaments) to tell all of us who were there whether this was a "serious" tournament.

Have to admit, though, I'm pretty disappointed. I spent all this time playing video games that weekend, and now I'm finding out it wasn't serious.

Like usually I lost the streaming of this debated tournament... are the recorded matches available somewhere?

Saying that this tournament wasn't serious is a disservice to the people in the community that made it out there. Saying who you think is competitive has no merit whatsoever, Jyakotu, and you know it. It's also quite rude in my opinion to call competitors the opposite of.

The community is continuing to grow (especially in skill) and @Nestor Collazo is proof of that. People are having fun at these events (and the tournament wasn't short of great matches) and perhaps Kwiggles wanted to try something different. He goes to all sorts of tournaments: he has a game plan, he knows what he's doing as a tournament player and he could afford to take the risk of choosing another character because he's that damn good at the game.

For people to put words in his mouth is fucking stupid, and to say what he should have done is also stupid because none of you are Kwiggle, and none of you paid his way into NEC '15.
Thank you very much for the kind words.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD