Newer Player Looking for good kokopuff tips

SayakaTheHero

Hey, I just started playing 2 weeks ago and I chose Kokoro as my main. I've got some of the basics down but I'm wondering if any of you have any good tips to throw my way. Thanks in advance!

PS: Kinda newish to fighters, played a little skullgirls and sf4 but not well.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Aw, damn, I guess wrong. There's a new Kokoro player in Toronto who started two weeks ago.

If you have your juggles down, then it's basically just forcing the other guy to make mistakes.

Her string mixup game is fairly strong. You have the string throws (PPT/PP6P, 2KT/2KP, etc), obviously, and those are fairly decent. You also have 3K mixups (3KP, 3K2P, 3KK) which keep getting nerfed but are still usable.

String throw mixups gives you a simple way of landing 236T and landing 236T means that you have a quick way of setting up a critical burst (236TP+K). 236T 214T is also pretty scummy 'cause you're +11 after 236T with no followups and that means you don't need to time 214T if they just sit there and if they hold you high counter them. Add insult to injury and do 236TP too sometimes, which stuns for hilariously long amounts of time. You still have 236T2P, too, which gives a good amount of frame advantage to set up more mixups, and those mixups may or may not include doing another 236T.

3K mixups are fairly weak to be honest, but a lot of people don't like dealing with it. You get 3K2P and 3KP as the main options. 3K2P gives you some frame advantage to setup more mixups and 3KP is a launcher. 3KK is if they realize that both 3K2P and 3KP are linear strikes and they try to sidestep. If they don't slow escape 3KK fast enough, you can get a 46P to launch them. If you want another mid option but you don't want to commit to doing a 3KP (-11 on block) you also have 3K4K which is a decent stun if it hits and lets you just backdash away if it's blocked.

Now, once you get them in stun, what do you do? 9P. Kokoro stun game revolves around 9P. Why? Not including 3KP, your main launchers (4P+K and 7K) are super slow. Same with your critical burst, obviously. The vast majority of your stuns can be slow escaped to 19 or less which means your launcher is gonna get blocked and punished. 9P stuns for a long time and is your standard way of keeping slow escape in check (other common way is to rely a lot more on 3KP). So we have our high stun extender. What about mids? 6P is decent and 3K is decent. They don't allow you to launch or critical burst, but they give decent stuns for mid punch and mid kick respectively. Some people like 66P for mid punch and that's a good option too, but I prefer 6P since it has a string and it won't wallslam if I'm too close to a wall. I've seen people use 3P as well, and that's also good since 3PP is long stun like 9P ('cause, surprise, it's also a high punch). So essentially, you're gonna stun someone somehow, mixup them up between 3K, 6P, and 9P, then when you stunned them long enough for a critical burst you 9P again to guarantee yourself enough time to mix them up between 7P, 7K, and 4P+K. At any point during this, though, after you hit a 9P, you can launch with 7K or 4P+K (or just 3KP even without a 9P) prematurely and still get a good combo and a lot of times this is the best choice. What about mid punch launcher, you ask? Well, you can use 33P+K and 3KP. If you want another option, you can do 236P for a bound (which, for Kokoro, is essentially the same as a launch). And of course you should be baiting holds the entire time.

So like I said, your stuns are pretty garbage, but you can use them to your advantage. Create your own "string throw"-esque mixup. 6PP stuns for 11f at the most so you can 236T or 214T right after without any timing and you won't whiff 'cause they're won't be stunned by the time the throw becomes active. 6PPP is a mid punch crumble stun and 6PP 214T is a 62 damage throw. Force them to make a guess. A lot of people hold after 6PP to stop 6PPP and get wrecked by stuff like this. :v Honestly, even on block you can still go for 214T 'cause 6PPP is that scary to people.

Oh, and don't use Heichu stance transitions. They're garbage.

EDIT: And read the guide Bushido wrote.

EDIT: There's Toryuken this weekend in Toronto, which is probably the biggest tournament in the country now that Canada Cup doesn't exist anymore. There's a fairly sizable DOA5U side tournament on Sunday. Otherwise, the DOA players usually meet Mondays and/or Wednesdays in A&C World downtown Toronto. Check the Toronto thread in the matchmaking forum for more details about both the tournament and just casual meetups.

Last edited:

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Yeah, Heichu stance has uses in stun.

I also forgot about 66P+K as stun extension. It's pretty amazing now after the last major patch. That said, I haven't actually used Kokoro seriously in months (only once in tournament since around December as a counter pick), so I can't really say much about how to best use it.

EDIT: Oh, and spacing. Kokoro's neutral footsie game is pretty good. 66P, 214P, P+K, 33P, and even 1P+K are all really strong at mid range. You're no Ayane, but sometimes keeping the other guy away from you is very beneficial. Now, those moves are pretty much all mid punches, but still, they're pretty fast so they're pretty much impossible to react to and if they try to predict and hold, you can dash in and throw them.

Your sidestep K is actually also really good 'cause it'll go under highs during the actual kick part so you can use it as a gimmicky way of getting around tracking highs. Her other sidestep moves are pretty decent too. Sidestep P is a mid that stuns on normal hit and sidestep P+K feels like it avoids more stuff than normal sidesteps.

Last edited:

Bushido

Here's a tip that I used when I first started playing Kokoro: Go through the command training a few times. Get used to what her moves look like and what they yield. What works for you and what doesn't. Also, read my guide, and watch the combo videos, especially that 11 minute one.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD