Pai questions and answers thread (Fundamentals)

Paradise

I too, was hoping someone would have replied to your post. I am not a, true believer, when it comes to character-specific match-ups, but, here we go.

Fear the mount. Don't get paralysed by the fear of it, but know that if you don't give the mount the appropriate fear it deserves you will be it's continued victim. Fear is good. Mila's mid kick hold enters the mount also. If you struggle escaping the follow-ups keep this in mind against opponents fishing for it. Many of Mila's best ranged poking tools are mid kicks. Pai's mid kick hold is probably her best hold because you get guaranteed damage. Unfortunately, Mila cancel 2 of those kicks into -- you guessed it! -- mount. Mila has a short list of moves, however. I say go into training mode, set the dummy to a decent COM level and duke it out. You'll gain some of the familiarity you no doubt lack, since, she IS a new character.

Its the mounts that I think I have the most trouble with. I like to bait out holds to throw punish but Mila just tackles people. And unfamiliarity is also a problem. I had no idea that a lot of her jabs were highs or that her drop kick was a mid until I went into training mode and studied awhile. I have the same problem with Rig. -_-

Its the mounts that I think I have the most trouble with. I like to bait out holds to throw punish but Mila just tackles people. And unfamiliarity is also a problem. I had no idea that a lot of her jabs were highs or that her drop kick was a mid until I went into training mode and studied awhile. I have the same problem with Rig. -_-
Well, ironically, if you're baiting holds and getting Milas to tackle, you've actually succeeded at what you were trying to do. Mila's tackle is an OH, which is throw punishable for a hi counter throw. So, if you're getting mount attempts thrown at you, continue doing the things that encourage those attempts, only now, instead of being the victim become the victimiser.

It's logical that you would have similar issues with Rig. He too is a new character. His moves are far more varied than Mila's however.

synce

The official guide says you can do her unblockable kick if you press 9k as you go into BT but I can't seem to pull it off.. is it a typo, did they remove the move or what? I've tried several BT transitions and timings but no luck

Edit: Fired up FS and did the move there, it's not the unblockable. Maybe guide meant unholdable but I didn't feel like starting DOA5 again to test

Allan Paris

Some anti-Mila strategies would be much appreciated. That girl is a monster.

I honestly do not play against Mila all that much. The ones I do play, I fuck over greatly with Pai. The major thing that I have noticed that must be paid attention to at all times is that damn SS OH. One of the ways I personally deal with it is SS P when I see her SS, this shit is very difficult. Your timing must be on point as well as your hand and eye coordination, you will stop the OH in the start up frames of the throw.

An easier way of dealing with it is doing moves that don't require you recover that long. That way you can low hit her on reaction or throw it. If you can watch for her SS OH the rest of MIla is not that hard to deal with. The only Mila's that I have heard are good is Jeffcore and Something-Unique and I'd like to play against them to give a ratio on the this match up, at its worst it has to be a 5-5.

Overall, Mila is good a character and she has her fair share of dumb shit. So playing against her you have to treat it like a MvC match; start your stupid shit (which Pai is highly capable of) before Mila starts hers. This is not difficult for Pai seeing as she's faster and she's not plagued with being at negative most of the time from everything in her arsenal of moves. So keep yourself at neutral or at +1, that is something you should already be doing as a Pai player, though.

When you start playing against high to top tier characters there really isn't multiple ways or easy ways at stopping them. It's why they are high or top tier characters. I do feel that after playing Jeffcore or Something-Unique it's going to boil down to who keep up their stupid shit the most, but I will wait until I play with them to find out for sure.

Paradise

I honestly do not play against Mila all that much. The ones I do play, I fuck over greatly with Pai. The major thing that I have noticed that must be paid attention to at all times is that damn SS OH. One of the ways I personally deal with it is SS P when I see her SS, this shit is very difficult. Your timing must be on point as well as your hand and eye coordination, you will stop the OH in the start up frames of the throw.

An easier way of dealing with it is doing moves that don't require you recover that long. That way you can low hit her on reaction or throw it. If you can watch for her SS OH the rest of MIla is not that hard to deal with. The only Mila's that I have heard are good is Jeffcore and Something-Unique and I'd like to play against them to give a ratio on the this match up, at it's worst it has to be a 5-5.

Overall, Mila is good a character and she has her fair share of dumb shit. So playing against her you have to treat it like a MvC match; start your stupid shit (which Pai is highly capable of) before Mila starts hers. This is not difficult for Pai seeing as she's faster and she's not plagued with being at negative most of the time from everything in her arsenal of moves. So keep yourself at neutral or at +1, that is something you should already be doing as a Pai, though.

When you start playing against high to top tier characters there really isn't multiple ways or easy ways at stopping them. It's why they are high or top tier characters. I do feel that after playing Jeffcore or Something-Unique it's going to boil down to who keep up their stupid shit the most, but I will wait until I play with them to find out for sure.
Thank you for the detail! And yeah I've come to terms with the fact that there isn't any simple way to stop Mila. Its beginning to come down to who can get the momentum going first when I play against her. I think I'll practice getting the first method you offered down, despite the difficulty in getting the timing on point I think it's worth it in the long run.

synce

^ Back when I played as Mila the characters that gave me the most trouble were the ones with lots of crushing or tracking moves since they destroy her SS game. So my advice to you 1) don't finish strings, 2) use moves like 4k2

Anyway I'm still playing around with Pai in training and discovered a hidden move, which is probably old news but I'd like to know if she has any others... BTW the move is WR P+K,P. If only you could delay the P it'd be an awesome move

Oh yeah she also has WR K... a SAFE launcher. It'll probably land on CH most of the time but on NH I think just 3p is guaranteed

Who-lio

so Ive got DOA5+ and I cant seem to do her last combo trial, its
6KP, 3PK2, 466P+K

the shoulder attack doesnt seem to reach, anyone know what could be up with this?

overall the combo trials arent the BEST combos, but it shows you what you can do and how to use some of her other moves i dont normally use

HoodsXx

so Ive got DOA5+ and I cant seem to do her last combo trial, its
6KP, 3PK2, 466P+K

the shoulder attack doesnt seem to reach, anyone know what could be up with this?

overall the combo trials arent the BEST combos, but it shows you what you can do and how to use some of her other moves i dont normally use
are you able to do this combo against a wall? If so try it then. But it should work fine. You probably just need to buffer 466P+K faster. Cause to get some juggles that I do. You need to buffer it quickly but accurately. Like for instance. A combo I do with Pai is PP 46H+K P 466P+K. And I have to buffer it quickly and percisely. Try that combo out a few times. If you can get that the earlier combo you mentioned should be easy to pull off.

xFatalDMG

wow.. I havent touched this site in months... I wonder how things have progressed..

Now that the arcade version is dropping here in JPN, it may give me reason to start again.

StryBlu

how does one land P>46 H +K during a juggle? I can't ever seem to pull it off. What' da timing on dat shiet?

xFatalDMG

just keep practicing on your timing and speed. Its not very hard at all, just continue doing in training until it feels right.

No other way to explain it.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD