Question about balance

HoodsXx

I would say he is. Though there are some moves that dumbfound me about him. (mostly his :1::K:) As it crushes some mids. And I don't remember it doing that in DOA4/D

HoodsXx

Ah alright. Well in DOAD I don't believe it did, or at least when I played others it didn't. Seems to happen more frequently in 5, compared to 4 though.

Tones

Premium Donor
High mids are nothing new to DOA.

I don't believe he's balance or even has enough compensation. He has very decent mid and long distance game, but he suffers from the same drawbacks he had in DOA4, a bad close game. His speed sucks, and his attacking options in close suck.

Aside from BT 2p+k, from normal stance he does not have any tools to give him a quick amount of guaranteed damage while reseting the rhythm. Maybe 7k but that's pretty slow and is pointless if they can just do a mid/low in their string.

His juggle damage is there but he is extremely limited in reaching it. His side step moves are too shit and his crushes don't account for much.

His throw and counter damage is only average.

One thing unique to Brad though is you alway have the option to get hit and go almost straight into on the floor.

Based on what I just said here are some changes with a focus on getting Brad Wong outside of the close game while breaking rhythem...

7k - i13 frames. This will give him the chance to beat out more mids while resetting rhythm. Scale damage down to 27-30 or maybe even 20-25 depending on how much more useful the move becomes.
1pp - 1i2 frames, natural combo and stuns on natural. Allows the tool to be more available. At the moment he can be jabbed out of the k/2k follow ups, which is change to a mid and low 50/50 situation with the mixup of staying in BT or HS.
BT 2p - i11 frames, stun on counter only. Gives Brad the ability to deal with those who 11 frame mid at the start of the match.
214p+k - Give the stun back he had from it on natural hit in DOA4.

Other suggestions just to give him options but don't affect the balance:
2k+f k2 - the the lay down for consistency. No idea why they got rid of this.
6k8 - kick then he jumps forward to the same distance as the k follow up but goes handstand.
7k8 - kick then he jumps forward to the same distance as the k follow up but goes handstand.
Change 66p+k into 8p+k - Currently the input blocks you from his 6p+k... which was a decent move in DOA4

Tulkas

Premium Donor
6k8 - kick then he jumps forward to the same distance as the k follow up but goes handstand.
7k8 - kick then he jumps forward to the same distance as the k follow up but goes handstand.
Very nice Idea! :D So, 9p8 should also ends in HS :) and also BT 7p! :D.

Also for variety i would like:
  • animation pulled off wiht BT 6k4 and BT 6k4 could be performed from BT without the 6k part. The comands could be 9h+k and 7h+k :)
  • go fast to LFT after 6p, command could be 6p2
  • go to DHT from SSk
And for balance (I mean buffing Brad a few):
  • Make his drunking taunts improve Brad some way. Maybe allow to perform some great moves once per gulp. :) So Brad would need to keep drinking in order to access those moves :) and gulps should accumulate during current round or even over the rounds until end of match, heheh. :) Also long taunts could increase this acount by 2 or 3! It would make even funnier to play Brad!:bradwong:
  • If TN refuse to drunking taunts to strengthen Brad, I have a group of (compensatory) whishes mainly to buff a few his evasive capabilities and juggles:
    • add a high crush move from SS, like 33p
    • add SS moves from BT (maybe just add SS property to actual BT 8 or BT 2)
    • strengthen HS stances by:
      • go fast to lying stances for HS ones in order to crouch fast hi attack
      • add SS move from HS
      • add OH from HS like the one from LHT and make normal throw a bit faster
    • make actual laying SS recovers faster in other to allow double laying SS
    • make (EDITED I've missed the BT) BT 8k better risk/award and funnier move by:
      • re-bouncing when it hits airbone opp, it's very hard to connect BT 8k in airbone opp, so the reward should be better
      • causing guard break, it's very slow move and hits with two feet :) so the reward should be better
    • make 1kk refloats airbone opp a bit more
    • make 33p[p] could be canceled when charging or give a better frame advantaje than just +1 in adition to guard break

Last edited:

Tulkas

Premium Donor
I've edited previous post, mainly to change initially proposed inputs: 4h+k and 6h+k for: 7h+k and 9h+k in order to avoid interfering with h+k when combined con back dash, a tactic which i've found very usefull.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD