Question about inputs

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
So I was messing around with Christie in training mode and something odd happened. I tried dashing in and doing her 6p+k, but I kept getting 66p+k instead. At first I thought that it was just because I wasn't letting enough time pass after the dash and I was pressing the last 6 too soon after the second 6 of the dash, so I tried taking my thumb off the pad entirely after the dash and pressing it again when the dash animation finished, but I still got 66p+k. I then tried pressing f in between the dash and 6p+k thinking that it would cancel the previous inputs, but I STILL got 66p+k. My question is: how long does the game store a directional input? Are there some moves that you simply can't use while dashing in? I haven't tried this with other characters and am away from the game for a couple of days, so I can't test for myself.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
The looseness of the buffer system in DOA3 has always been an issue. A common issue is back-dashing and then trying to block only to get a mid-hold come out instead. I wasn't particularly aware that this still happened with forward dashes and :F: canceling. I was under the impression that :F: canceling would work, as it's required for some of Bass's juggles. Maybe Wah can add some additional input since he plays a lot of Bass and would be more familiar with the buffer system issue.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Luckily it's not a 4 point hold so you can do :6::6::F::6::P+K:

You won't have to worry about holding and you can do the :6::P+K: successfully.

This happens a lot for Bass' juggles because he requires to dash free cancel mid juggle many times, when doing :6::6::F::6::P::K:.

RoboJoe

I remember in doa2 that with Ein performing a 236p while jumping makes him do his 6p+k when he lands. Unfortunately, my 360 doesn't want to play the game for some reason so I can't make sure that I'm right.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Characters have a different move for punch or kick when they land from a jump, yes. It may be a recycled move or a unique one. Ayane's landing :P: is an example of the latter.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Characters have a different move for punch or kick when they land from a jump, yes. It may be a recycled move or a unique one. Ayane's landing :P: is an example of the latter.

The same applies to throws. Doing :9::5::F+P: with Tina in DOA3 gave you her :4::F+P:

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
Luckily it's not a 4 point hold so you can do :6::6::F::6::P+K:

You won't have to worry about holding and you can do the :6::P+K: successfully.

This happens a lot for Bass' juggles because he requires to dash free cancel mid juggle many times, when doing :6::6::F::6::P::K:.

Huh. I tried that, but was still getting the wrong move. I guess I just wasn't doing it right. I'll try it again when I get back into town and if I'm still having issues I'll go into training mode during the next stream.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD