DOA5U Requesting tips on dealing with pressure w/ Hitomi

Kwin

Hey all! First time here. So here's my plight; I have really only played DOA2U and I mained Hitomi. I was a SSS in those days of yore, but I've been having a hard time transitioning back into the series. A lot of characters I need to learn move sets to; so i can prevent them of course. Anyways, 2U seemed to be based a lot on the holds and I did fine, but Now I'm punished terribly and people are playing a lot more defensively then I remember. SO, THIS: How did/do you guys handle offensive pressure from opponents with Hitomi? What are her best options when they just won't stop humping you and guessing when to throw so sublimely? I'm just having a hard time figuring out when to jab do a :6::K: or whip out a :2::P:/:1::P:/:2::H+K:. They seem to guess so accurately what my next move is before I even know. Not to mention most of the moves I end up blocking seem to make me recover longer so my jabs get beaten out by even Hayate's moves.
Thanks in advance for any help. I hope to be around a while, I've always really enjoyed this series but never owned an Xbox.
:hitomi:

Crext

Standard Donor
Well, if you learn the framedata you will be well on your way. :)
6P is 13 frames and her fastest mid. then you have the 10 frame p. 6K is also 13 frames I think.

Then you need to start using 9H which is her punchparry. You can only use it in neutral stance before you are hit (blocking first is fine).

So do a combination of blocking and holding, and try and punish. Remember to throw 6T once in a while to get them off their toes and follow with 6P, 6PP, or 6PP4P if you believe they will open up, and keep throwing. 2KK might work once in a while for diversity. 6T is a 7 frame throw, and her T is a 5 frame, meaning it is garantueed if you manage to block out strings that put them further than that on disadvantage. (There are a lot of strings).

Also, learn the frametraps which are out there. If you are beaten to the punch on 6P you are most likely the victim of a frametrap.

Hope this somewhat helped you, if not just give me a little more detail about what is the struggle.

Last edited:

Kwin

Well, if you learn the framedata you will be well on your way. :)
6P is 12 frames and her fastest mid. then you have the 10 frame p. 6K is 13 frames I think.

Then you need to start using 9H which is her punchparry. You can only use it in neutral stance before you are hit (blocking first is fine).

So do a combination of blocking and holding, and try and punish. Remember to throw 6T once in a while to get them off their toes and follow with 6P, 6PP, or 6PP4P if you believe they will open up, and keep throwing. 2KK might work once in a while for diversity. 6T is a 7 frame throw, and her T is a 5 frame, meaning it is garantueed if you manage to block out strings that put them further than that on disadvantage. (There are a lot of strings).

Also, learn the frametraps which are out there. If you are beaten to the punch on 6P you are most likely the victim of a frametrap.

Hope this somewhat helped you, if not just give me a little more detail about what is the struggle.

Thanks Crext. I didn't know whether i was frame trapped or not, but I'll keep the 6P in mind. I was mostly struggling with people in the B rank or higher, as they just seemed to keep wailing on me not matter what I tried. I was doing my best to look for openings but I don't really know what everyones mixup options are. And I'm having a hard time with the punch parry, either they jab out of it messing up my tracking move or they sidestep when I anticipate a jab and try to jab back. I'm thinking I should just start smacking 3p and hope for the best. What are the best block strings/moves to try and throw from? Even the 2P trick doesn't seem to work for me. I know baiting people into holding is favored w/ Hitomi though. It's just so annoying that everyone and their mother seems to know all my mixup options and guesses right too often. I free cancel a lot and most people punish my stun mixups too... I'm thinking people are freaking out and spamming holds and guessing right sometimes. I'm not very high ranked yet.

Kwin

Here's a vid on how bad I was when I made the post. I've gotten better. (Sorry, all i got is a camera phone; the upload feature isn't working for me.)

Crext

Standard Donor
And I'm having a hard time

Aye, based on this video I can see the most obvious weakness is that you don't block. ;)
You also use a lot of slow frame moves and attack from disadvantage all the time.
If you finish a string when he is blocking, people will assume in most cases that you are at frame disadvantage, even if they don't know the character very well. And in most cases you are. You can even interrupt mid string a lot of times if you block the first attack.
Also, never use 3p as your "fall back move", it is 16 frames which is relatively slow.
Your best openers are the 10 frame p, 12 frame 66p or 46p, or the mids 6k and 6p at 13 frames.

For midrange it could be 4p (pp) or 1K + follow ups.
Long range you have 236K, 46p and 236p

The 6p can be followed up with p and 4p (not just p). This you can delay, and every single one of those will probably stun him on block if you do (if he is a heavy block just cancel with square and 6T). When he is stunned they tend to hold, and if they do you grab them, if not you continue the loop, launch and juggle.

Also, try and use 66pk or pp66pk instead of ppp, it puts you at only -1, which probably will make the next move you do hit (it will improve your gameplay greatly the way you play now, though that is not a favorable way to do it ;)).

But all in all, blocking is the thing for you to work on. If you improve this we might start to talk about more advanced stuff. This will particular work well against Hayate as his first move may be hard to see, but the follow up is easy counterattack with a low frame (his follow ups are often close up and slow(thus you blocking first attack will put him at frame disadvantage)).

Last edited:

Kwin

I was a little disgrunted, and though the replay didn't show it, some lag. I meant to 66kkk after that 46k but the game pumped out a 236k instead. I actually guess right on most of my holds but I guess my input is sloppy at times.

Anyways, that guy waltzed into our lobby and wailed on the whole room easily picking Random and I have no experience vs Hayate as I've only seen him as Ein before lol. I yell at myself a lot when I play online. I know I'm supposed to 6p a lot and do "THE UNBEATABLE KICK" (lol) but my heads not in the game all the time, I'm more focoused on what my opponent will do then what I'm about to do I think... I'm used to playing Hitomi like people play Ein now I guess: far the hell away. And I got very good at in in 2U. That's why the thread is on pressure as I obviously don't do well up close haha. Experience to do the things I've been reading for days is really all I need. .

Oh and I generally do block, A LOT it's just, I REALLY hadn't seen any of Hayate's moves before and I thought I had openings when I got hit. That was day number 2 of playing the game for me right there. I've gotten more into the groove of things, I win most of my matches. I'm sitting at 50% exact atm. 54 fights 27 wins.

Also, I lag a bunch and ppp seems to like to come out when I don't want it to... ever, luckily It usually spits out when I'm interrupting a jumping attack haha. I liked your vid on DOA World btw, just wish I could have heard you a little better.

Crext

Standard Donor
Heyhey, you don't have to get defencive, we've all been there. ;-)

It is a complex game, and it takes time to get into shape. Personally I'd had a 2 week break and felt like crap when I came back into it. Another move I recommend you use is 6pk2k + 2H+K for force tech, 6k2k and 1k6p2k2k and 6H+K for force tech if you ever hit "THE UNBEATABLE KICK" (lol). A nice approacher is 66p2k and 66k2k. If you hit the low kick you are at frame advantage and can continue your onslaught. Throw in some low throwns and 6T one in a while and you'l dominate at times. Hitomi can be really annoying to play against when you get behind on the frame advantage. :hitomi:

I would also say not to forget 2P. Her low jab is very good (barring VF characters and select ppl), her fastest high crush and advantage on any hit. It's called the Low Jab Trap (or LJT). It is 14 frames so pretty fast move, on normal hit is +1, all other hits is +4 and some needed space, on block is safe from all throw punishes like most other low jabs. She is one of the few who have this.

Kwin

Thanks for the tips. That 2k that puts me at the advantage is also in 8pk6p2k. Although I would only smack that if people were ducking "THE UNBEATABLE KICK" or for mix-up's sake (I hear that tossed around a lot with Hitomi :( ).

And I've known about 2p but I've had a hard time utilizing it properly. I'm bad at guessing when they'll block or strike and often get jabbed trying to grab afterwards. I'll experiment with jabs and others afterwards and see what fits me.

:hitomi:

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD