Resident Evil 6

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Has anybody else gotten a chance to play the demo yet? Holy SHIT is it terrible. It's broken into three separate campaign snippets: Leon, Chris, and Wesker's kid that came outta nowhere. Leon's is one massive cutscene with very little actually happening. Seriously, you spend almost the entirety of it walking and listening to spoken exposition. Chris' is an action-heavy shooting segment complete with a 'mash x to cross this rope' sequence that nearly puts NG3's kunai climb garbage to shame. Mini Wesker's starts interesting enough with a chase sequence that has you running from a pretty sweet new monster design. Then it devolves into one of the most generic boss battles I've ever seen.

Throughout all of this nonsense you have to deal with a camera that's pulled in way too close, a criminally small amount of ammo for the amount of shooting they seem to want you to do (seriously, you may as well just use melee constantly because that's still overpowered as hell anyway), and some seriously wonky controls. I'll ignore the rampant screen tearing that's present almost constantly in light of this being an early demo build, but let's be honest, Capcom games have a relatively large amount of tear even in final releases. I'm incredibly disappointed.

ScattereDreams

Yeah during Chris' gameplay I sometimes had problems locking on to my enemies from a distance due to lighting issues, unless I had his partner with the sniper rifle that had the night vision scope. I was upset with Leon's because honestly his was the most exciting one. I got to shoot "just zombies" not B.O.W's. I love zombie hordes in RE and they finally brought them back. It was just upsetting that the "last minute" of Leon's was the only time you got shoot something.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I'll admit that I was excited at the beginning of Leon's campaign because it felt like classic RE. Hell it didn't even bother me that the game arbitrarily decided when I could and couldn't use any button besides the analog stick to move. But the camera issues were everywhere and the other two campaigns really soured me on it. It'll only ramp the action up as the game progresses and starts weaving the campaigns together so it'll end up being pretty terrible most likely.

MrMoon360

.... What's going on with games this year? Seriously.
ME3, NG3, RE:ORC, SFXT.
One way or another, these companies are dicking the customers/fans handsomely.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
ME3 was a phenomenal game with a shit ending. That doesn't qualify it on the same level as Operation Raccoon City. NG3 was a decent action game but a terrible Ninja Gaiden game. SFxT I still think is a great fighter but Capcom pulled some really stupid shit with the on disc characters and the gem nonsense. Weird picks but you're right in saying the quality of games is going down overall.

MrMoon360

ME3 was a phenomenal game with a shit ending. That doesn't qualify it on the same level as Operation Raccoon City. NG3 was a decent action game but a terrible Ninja Gaiden game. SFxT I still think is a great fighter but Capcom pulled some really stupid shit with the on disc characters and the gem nonsense. Weird picks but you're right in saying the quality of games is going down overall.

ME3, I'll give you that. I still play the multiplayer from time to time even. Extended Cut gave closure, but not what I was hoping for (Indoctrination Theory). NG3 was a generic QTE-bound cutscene game (Ninja Blade did it better) and an abomination of a Ninja Gaiden game. I absolutely HATE it, as a long time fan.

SFxT, I agree.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
The quality of gaming in general is going to continue going downhill because businessmen learned it was profitable. The current strategy is to acquire as many well educated and successful development teams as you possibly can, put them under one roof so they can't compete with you, and force them to pump out really poor formulaic games that appeal to the average idiot.

There will be gems in the rough, but by and large the gaming industry as you know it has been hijacked and replaced with a more hollywood-esque entertainment industry where every game is dumbed down to the lowest levels possible for mass profitability.

Sadly these people will always win, because stupid people are, and always will be, the majority. And catering to the majority is always the best financial decision.

People are not making games in order to make a fun game anymore. They are making games to make money... and while money is nice, as long as it is the primary focus of the development team it will never be a game that stands out in a positive way.

Something to keep in mind...

http://www.gamespot.com/features/wh...AaaGameDeveloper;WhoWantsToBeAAaaGam;ReadMore

Make a decent game, get fired. Great, sounds like a wonderful industry.

DontForkWitMe

all i have to say is thank god for the pc version. tried the demo on my friends 360 and it was borderline unplayable with the crappy framerate, screen tear, horrible fov along with the sluggish aiming and camera control. i'll gladly wait for the pc version if the pc port RE5 is anything to go by. gotta love that smooth 60fps,1080p, and superior mouse aiming... not to mention all the mods. People wanting old school horror back need to give it up already and let it go. its clear capcom doesn't give a damn and wants in on that CoD crowd money. the 3ds RE was a complete flop in sales and it focused more on horror and isolation where operation raccoon city was a huge success and sold way more despite being an unadulterated piece of monkey shit.

FakeSypha

People wanting old school horror back need to give it up already and let it go. its clear capcom doesn't give a damn and wants in on that CoD crowd money.
Pretty much this. It's sad, but this is how things are most likely gonna be for this series. The thing is most diehard fans tend to lie to ourselves about it. I understand the old survival horror formula with the prerendered backgrounds, fixed cameras and tank controls it's obsolete, but I can't help myself to think RE will someday go back to their roots.
>that feel when it's not gonna happen, EVER.

the 3ds RE was a complete flop in sales and it focused more on horror and isolation where operation raccoon city was a huge success and sold way more despite being an unadulterated piece of monkey shit.
I wouldn't say Revelaitons flop. It did "ok-ish", considering it's on handheld. A nintendo handheld. Guessing aside, the only sale numbers about this game are Japan only, and were about 230k (on February). I don't know, by this time how much sales could it have worldwide? 400k? 500k, being optimistic? Oh well, that would be nothing compared to other main titles on the RE franchise.
Anyway, while RE: Revelations was slightly more focused on horror than RE5, it's still way too action packed to be even considered as "survival horror". I mean, the map design with corridors, dark settings, and overall atmosphere had you on a terror mood, but you still had a heavy TPS game with checkpoints, autosave, shitload of ammo, a goddamn button dedicated to heal yourself, no item management, barely no puzzles (RE was always lacking on this department, at least comparing it with Silent Hill), and maybe other stuff I'm missing right now.
I don't have an objective opinion on RE: ORCs since I haven't actually played. And I plan to keep it that way.

Back on topic. I don't have much hype for RE6. I've lost some of my unconditional faith over the years Gameplay-wise, I expect it to be pretty much like RE5 with some tweaks here and there. Nothing special, or revolutionary. Story-wise is just way too fucked up to still care, but I'd like to see whatever they made up this time.
Anwyay, what I do really want is them to keep the Mercenaries minigame. I've sunk countless hours on Mercs minigames, and I'd gladly keep adding hours.

Well, at least I can have some fan service from crapcom. They show me some Ada, so they're just forcing me to buy it:

I'm still waiting for more Rebbecca. A cannon apparition from her would be greatly appreciated. That wait could be long, tho.

Sorry for all the nonsense, but I just need to say all that crap.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD