So I Got the Guide...

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
5792079857_205beb4ac3_b.jpg

And as far as I can tell, there isn't any way to perform Alpha's teleports. =(

Any questions on items in here?

CDJapan shipped the thing from Japan on the 30th and I got it in the mail today. I'm quite impressed with that out of all things.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Alpha152's 2H+P is apparently 3 frames, but you could check that without the guide itself.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
wow, so she gets a doa3 style grappler low throw, and they seen no problem with that?

Allan Paris

As long as this stuff doesn't make it over to the "possible" future console release, I don't gives no fuck! It's a hanheld it can't be taken seriously, no matter how much we want to. But, by all means break it ALL down and present it to the sole creators of this MAGNIFICENT work.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Hopefully this travesty of a game will not have any features poured over into future titles.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
It's in the same fashion as all the other DOA guides. Intro to the system, basic combos, "arts list."

I don't really have a good scanner for this kind of stuff and I don't want to rip up the guide to get nice scans unless someone was willing to buy me a replacement.

Here's most of Alpha's stuff, which confirms the new frame data for holds as being two frames less in active frames and two more in recovery, which is not a significant change.

doadguide_pg206-207b.jpg

Berzerk!

Kudos on finding and presenting this info, much respect - would love to see more - would you be willing to denote changes character by character? Also good that you've got the game and you're trying it out. So while I think that's all really positive, I have a point of disagreement.

How can you say the change to the counter windows is not significant?

It's significant for a number of reasons;

1 Players have said the counter hold windows are an issue, so ANY move by the developers to change this is significant.

2 The reasoning for them doing this is either because a) they listened to us or b) they came to the same conclusion on their own or c) both. This reinforces point one and tells us they are doing a good thing with this aspect of the game.

3 Mechanically this can only tighten up the game and reduce the importance of "guessing" or "betting" however you look at it. The fact is the counter is open for less time, meaning players have to be more sure of when to do a counter, and the ability of the other player to punish is increased, so mistakes are more costly. This adds up to the attacker being more assured when they have advantage, and this is great because it shifts things more away from another general criticism of DOA4 in that it was too defensive.

4 You don't mention the reduction of damage, which, by itself is significant, but in concert with the above, is a subtle but important change to this aspect of the game. And when balancing a range of systems, changing anything universal MUST be subtle and measured. (Look at the changes to SSF4 to AE - subtle changes, but people claim it to be a whole new game).

Perfect Legend himself has said he feels this changes the game for the better. I know you're disappointed with Dimensions, but downplaying the areas of game design where they HAVE done a good thing hurts your argument when discussing other areas of the game.

Lets not get so hell bent on attacking the credibility of the designers by undermining our own. They DO know what they are doing. The DO know how to achieve different outcomes with the game. The question is one of understanding their goals and communicating our own, so that we can be more aligned.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
They cut the active frames by two and added it on to the recovery, while this is a change from previous games it's not much of a change. It's only a two frame difference.

And I would argue that they don't know what they're doing. Perfect Legend's interviews back up that argument completely. Rather than fix anything else we had issue with, they either left it the same as DOA4 or made it worse. They're not listening to us and I don't know who they're getting their input from.

We need to present not just a list of issues to Team Ninja found in DOA but a list of how to fix them exactly as well because they really don't understand the game.

Gill Hustle

Hey does this explain Alpha 152's counters. Meaning how they are affected by left and right attacks? Also how her her wake up near walls as well?

Just curious.

Raansu

The frames being changed on the holds arnt much, but the recovery of a hold in stun are the ones you really notice. Think its like 15 frames. It's definitely better than before, and I'll take any good change I can get since TN never seems to know what they are doing.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD